Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for transporting a Mini Max

Options
FatTrout
FatTrout Posts: 23
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
Purchasing a new MM before the end of the month. I go fishing in Utah, Colorado, and Montana quite a bit. Most of my travel is on paved roads, but as you can imagine with a fishing destination, there is often, if not always, some dirt road travel. I have a 4x4 truck with a bed rug and hard tonneau cover. The plan is to use some closed cell foam to wrap it up like a hot dog, and secure it with bungy cords. For the internal ceramic parts I am thinking foam or cardboard stuffed in the gaps. Will that do it, or is there something else I should do? Also, for those of you that have one, since the MM is designed to be portable, and transportable, does the warranty cover damage during transport?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like to wrap the parts in plastic wrap. Also wrap the dome to the base shut. Stops it dome bumping up and down. Also gives the Egg a secure place to grip it after it's wrapped.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FatTrout
    FatTrout Posts: 23
    Options
    That sounds like a really good idea. When I was a high school principal, my athletic trainer used that stuff to hold ice bags onto injured kids body parts. It is pretty amazing and capable stuff. Thanks for the tip. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Back and forth from Texas to Florida I just use cardboard slipped in and between. 
    Wirked on Large, Small, Mini and Mini-Max. Never a problem. Using Toyota trucks and vans. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    3 wooden shims slid down the sides keeps everything from shifting, place the woo on top.

Drove through the Appachians with a stick, off road camping, no issues. 

The easily built custom table is a perfect transporter for the small, don't even strap it in with other items in the bed.  I have a really nice Egg Carten made by Scott as a backup.

Back in, pull the egg out, light, cook, shut down, push back, close tailgate, roll out.

You're on your own if you damage it during transport.  That would take a lot of nerve, filing a warranty claim on your screw up.  Not really a shocker in today's, "It's never my fault, Im not accountable" society.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I'll be flamed for saying this but I'd buy a Akorn Jr over a mini max all day every day if I were actually moving it. It's truly portable as one person can carry it without the possibility of subsequent hernia surgery. It's metal so you don't have to worry about fragile ceramics breaking. And it's only $150... 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'll be flamed too but the mm isn't one person portable. Two yes. At least for those of us with back issues. To do it again, id opt for the mini. That said, mine rides in the bed of the truck as is cook ready and has for two(?) years and many miles. No issues. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Man up Nancies!  If you can't carry your grill you don't deserve to cook on it!

Just kidding.  I take the innards out of my Mini Max when taking it the lake, etc.  Makes it able to be carried by one person, me.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    The MM is not a one man portable egg............. agree with the Acorn Jr. option. A fellow egger just got the Acorn Jr after having the MM for two years in his 5th wheel, he just got tired of how heavy the MM is.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have only traveled with my MM once. I just do not go places where I am also going to grill much.

But I had the following thought when I did travel with it the one time:
    To be really secure, I was thinking it would be good, easy and cheap to put a smaller (10 gallon?) trash bag in the egg horizontally (the open part of the bag 90 degrees from the top of the egg.) When ready, ahave the firebox right next to it, then empty 1/2 can of "great stuff" in the bag. When you think there is enough foam in the bag, place the firebox on top of the trashbag, making sure the "top" of the  trash bag is hanging out for overflow. Push down on the firebox just enough so it molds the foam and is nice and secure, and make sure you can close the lid. You would have to move kinda quick, but I think it would be doable.

I know that the great stuff is really sticky on some things, but releases off other things. Not sure how it would be on a trash bag. Regardless, once made and the foam sets - there is a custom and easy to use foam padding able to be reused and I suspect would really protect the inside.

**** Disclaimer: I did not do this.  It was just a thought. ****

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I just moved 5 eggs across Texas - three went in the back of a moving truck while strapped to the tables (see below)  and the mini and mini max just went in the cab of the truck. The mini fit on the floorboard and the minimax just sat on a piece of plywood on the passenger seat, strapped in with a seat belt. Didn't protect those to inside at all. Every egg made it in one piece just fine. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I cut cardboard rounds to set between the bottom and firebox, the firebox and the fire ring amd i put a old pillowcase around the firebox and fire ring to help insulate vibrations between vertical edges

I also put a towel between lid and base for same reason

Bungee cords are used to secure the lid to base and the entire mm to inside cleats in suv.  If transporting mm in large bin, i make sure its packed on either side with stuff and the lid of bi. Has orange harbor freight tie down straps with ratchet come along tightening action secured to the trailer insert cargo carrier.   No picts yet as everytime we do this its a herculean coordination of logistics so no time for picts but ill do at some point
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    FatTrout said:
    That sounds like a really good idea. When I was a high school principal, my athletic trainer used that stuff to hold ice bags onto injured kids body parts. It is pretty amazing and capable stuff. Thanks for the tip. 

As someone with ATC as one of my pedigrees, Thank for using the correct terminology in referring to them as Athletic Trainer.

I buy that wrap from Lowes or Home Depot....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I'll be flamed too but the mm isn't one person portable. Two yes. At least for those of us with back issues. To do it again, id opt for the mini. That said, mine rides in the bed of the truck as is cook ready and has for two(?) years and many miles. No issues. 
    You keep it in the truck permanently? That's freaking awesome. 
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I feel like I am not caring for my MMX properly after reading this. A few weeks ago I took it North to our cabin. Just loaded it in the back of the Blazer and drove 7 hours north. When I got there I put it in a trailer and towed it up a snowy dirt road about 2 miles to the cabin. 3 days later I did the reverse to bring it home. No padding. No problems. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017