Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

flame boss vs bbq guru

I have a CyberQ right now, i can never get the wifi to work right with out changing my network settings then have to change it back when I'm done. i have just recently stumbled on on the Flame boss 300 wifi.  has anyone used this before? the fan looks very cheaply made but its hard to tell from photos. have you been able to access it when you off your house network? 
Joey B

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The FB is super easy to get up and running in wi-fi. And even faster after you have set it up the first time. I have run it on my iPad and android phone with no issues. They all use a super cheap computer type cooling fan. Some just do a better job surrounding the fan in a housing.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I only have experience with the FlameBoss but can tell you it was easy to set up and hook into the wi-fi. I don't often leave the house for long periods when cooking but have 'controlled' it from the hardware store when I was there for longer than I thought I would be (plus I was showing off a little...)
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    I didn't have a cyber q but had the bbq guru and couldn't control it when I wasn't at home so I figured what's the point.  my wife came home with the FB300 and I love it.  It was easy to set up and I have used it three times with no issues and I like the ability to monitor it from anywhere.  one of the other things is the nice graph on how the cook goes so you can learn more about the process and figure out solutions if you have issues, that is just my inner engineering talking.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Kent8621 said:
    my wife came home with the FB300... 
    What did she do or what does SHE want???
    Lucky man
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I find it hard to believe that BBQ Guru would have a product on the market - for several years now - that requires the user to change network settings back and forth as you describe. Have you called them? Surely they have an answer.

Personally, I think wifi is a complete waste when it comes to temp controllers, but whatever floats your boat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Photo Egg said:
    Kent8621 said:
    my wife came home with the FB300... 
    What did she do or what does SHE want???
    Lucky man

she wanted a jogging stroller that was 2x the cost, so as you should expect we have a really nice jogging stroller now.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    I find it hard to believe that BBQ Guru would have a product on the market - for several years now - that requires the user to change network settings back and forth as you describe. Have you called them? Surely they have an answer.

Personally, I think wifi is a complete waste when it comes to temp controllers, but whatever floats your boat.
    Knowing that you don't use a controller at all and you don't do overnights because you turbo I'm still going to present my wifi argument.

I have a digiQII and maverick, but only because wifi controllers were so GD expensive at the time it was cheaper for me to buy the digiQ and the maverick.  If I was buying now I would just buy a wifi unit, not so I can cook away from home because I won't leave an unattended fireball at home, but because I just want something to warn me while I'm sleeping, watching TV, out in the yard etc.

A lot of cooks I just use the maverick, but overnights I use both in combination but only really because I paid for the digiQ so I'm going to use it.  I have had my digiQ $hit the bed while setting up an overnight cook and I managed fine without it and I just used the maverick to for pit temp warnings through the night.  I still do like having the pit controller there despite being able to get along without it though.

Having read this back I'm not sure if I really made an argument for wifi,  I may have argued for saving money and just getting a maverick, but whatever.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

cyberq runs a web server and you interact with that.  by default, routers hand out IP addresses randomly, so when the cyberq IP address changes you have to adjust.  and by default your router's ip address changes, and it doesn't let devices outside of its network see the web server being run by the cyberq.  so you have to deal with programming the router to give the cyberq a static ip address, and use a dynamic dns, and set up port forwarding to use it from outside your home network. 

OTOH the flameboss unit itself does not run a web server.  it sends data to the remote flameboss servers, and you interact with the servers.  you tell the flameboss how to connect to your wifi network once, and that's it.  if wifi goes down, it still works.

I've had mine for about a year and a half.  I mostly use it in bad weather - rain, sleet and snow.  I'm honestly surprised the fan still works, but it does.  as far as remote access, it doesn't care if you're at home or anywhere else - you are accessing a remote server, over the internet.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Knowing that you don't use a controller at all and you don't do overnights because you turbo I'm still going to present my wifi argument.

I have a digiQII and maverick, but only because wifi controllers were so GD expensive at the time it was cheaper for me to buy the digiQ and the maverick.  If I was buying now I would just buy a wifi unit, not so I can cook away from home because I won't leave an unattended fireball at home, but because I just want something to warn me while I'm sleeping, watching TV, out in the yard etc.

A lot of cooks I just use the maverick, but overnights I use both in combination but only really because I paid for the digiQ so I'm going to use it.  I have had my digiQ $hit the bed while setting up an overnight cook and I managed fine without it and I just used the maverick to for pit temp warnings through the night.  I still do like having the pit controller there despite being able to get along without it though.

Having read this back I'm not sure if I really made an argument for wifi,  I may have argued for saving money and just getting a maverick, but whatever.
    I have a DigiQ2 and still use it once in a while if I do an overnight cook, but yeah, more and more turbo cooks.

My argument is - save money, GET NEITHER!! I have a DigiQ2, but I use it less and less as time goes by. I see no point in wifi. Didn't when I bought it - still don't. As for the maverick (or Smoke or whatever) I bought that before I got the Guru, a good 7 years ago. I doubt I've used it 7 TIMES! It's been years since I bothered. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    The maverick has the part I want, something that beeps at me, the rest I can do with out but use because I spent money on it
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Mikea5232
    Mikea5232 Posts: 76
    I like the cyberQ. From what i read the flameboss is way easier to set up.   I have no problem with ip address changing from cook to cook.  And the Wi-Fi capabilities lets me check on everything no matter where i am.  

My wife wants nothing to do with outdoor cooking so i don't need her to check on stuff and let me know what's happening when I'm out of the yard.  

I dairy farm and work 6.5 days a week.   Wi-Fi controller isn't necessary but it lets me keep the egg smoking and excellent food on the table.   I'm very happy to own one. 
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    I still use the controller but I'm finding that I don't really need the wifi.  Because I'm usually home before the cook finishes up. 

so what the point of wifi?  Each has their reasons.

Next go around I'll probably buy the one that controls the pit temp plus one food probe. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I may be incorrect but the issue of IP address changes is not the fault of the cyberq but the way wifi is programmed through your router. I've used a maverick for a few years but the cyberq is far more accurate and easier to use. Admittedly I'm still figuring out how to monitor when I'm not connected to home wifi. I have Ooma running through the router and that seems to be my problem. I never used fb but suspect it would have similar setup challenges
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    When I was looking and comparing the two a couple of years ago it sounded like the Guru fan was compatible with the FB controller. Since you already have the Pit Viper fan you might want to look in to that to see if it's true. I ended up with the Cyberq and haven't had any problems connecting to my network. 
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN