Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traeger Timberline vs BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     Another point is that the ceramics in the egg are self cleaning if time is an issue  spend time cooking not cleaning 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I was surprised to read above that pellet consumption rivals lump on cooks. I don't have a pellet smoker, but my buddy who does seems to go through a fair amount more pounds of pellets than I do lump on an hourly basis at similar temps. Maybe the better pellet smokers are insulated better, but that is my only limited experience with a pellet smoker.
    Stillwater, MN
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I cooked with a pellet grill (a Traeger for about 8 years and then a Rec Tec for a year) before I won my BGE in a give-away. That was late last summer and the cover hasn't come off of the Rec Tec since. At first it was the novelty of the egg, but since then it has been more the versatility. I was never able to really sear on the pellet grill, despite using the grill grates. They made it better, but nothing like a 800 degree egg. I could do pizza on the pellet grill, but not the real wood-fired variety like on the egg. I recently started using a wok on the egg as well. 

Will I take the cover off the RecTec one of these days? Maybe. But I dont have any plans to do it soon. Bought a MiniMax to travel with, so I have bought into the Komodo culture. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Real BBQs don't have extension cords
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Real BBQs don't have extension cords
    Yep, they use real sticks of uncarbonized wood. Right?