Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boiled peanuts anyone!!!

Options
I just picked up a bag of peanuts from Winn Dixie and have been craving boiled peanuts but have never made any before. Not sure how long and at what temp they should be cooked at on the BGE. I was going to use my Dutch oven and not sure the process.

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Welcome to the forum....wish I could help with a how to. Maybe an eggspert will chime in with a plan.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    LOVE boiled p-nuts!  Never made 'em but sure like to eat 'em!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The way I do them:

Half a turkey fryer full of water, 2 cups kosher sea salt and 5 lbs of raw and cleaned peanuts. Boil for 4 hours, adding more boiling water as necessary to compensate for evaporation. Turn off the burner and let the peanuts rest in the hot salty water for about 2 more hours. 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! tried them once. Yuck, ewwww, gross.. come to mind.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    You can make them in a slow cooker.
    Gittin' there...
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Where you from boy ????

Opelika, Alabama
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I've had them (they're okay), never cooked them (noob), but I can almost guarantee the best temp for them is 212 F.  
    I should get paid for this.   =)  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Wouldn't the salt in the water change the boiling point?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Me too. Cant even stand to smell 'em. 

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    I gave the home-made (crock pot) boiled peanuts a go last year.  Either found a recipe here or the universal source "Google".  Regardless, I was the only one who ate them and I won't be going down that road again.  Not bad but next time I will travel south and buy them.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I only just discovered boiled peanuts last summer during a road trip through the south.  I loved the BPnuts, so I looked up how to make them.  As I recall, it's necessary to start with raw nuts, which I had to order.  I made them in the slow cooker, and they were good, really pretty much the same as the store.  

I will probably order more this year and do it again.

Phoenix 
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Pour some cheep beer in the boil and add plenty of salt. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:

I only just discovered boiled peanuts last summer during a road trip through the south.  I loved the BPnuts, so I looked up how to make them.  As I recall, it's necessary to start with raw nuts, which I had to order.  I made them in the slow cooker, and they were good, really pretty much the same as the store.  

I will probably order more this year and do it again.

Brother you are spot on with the green peanuts. They start coming out of Florida about this time of year. They are a staple at our baseball tailgates....take about 2 1/2 hours to cook. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Hoo boy, if some of you made boiled peanuts with already-roasted nuts, instead of raw, no wonder you couldn't stand them!  :sick:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Botch- the raw may be the only part I got right besides the obvious boil part. I musta hosed up the flavoring as the peanuts had a great texture but that was about it.  I may go down the road again and juice up the seasoning now that I know no one else has any interest.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If I can find them, I may ball some up at Butt Blast....I see a trip to the farmers market in my future.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I get close on the seasoning, but make sure to not over season. I get it to my taste the last hour of boiling. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Crock pot high 4-5 hours little salt and if you want spice a few tbs cayenne.  When cool they freeze well.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/BoiledPeanutsHistory.htm