Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Galveston / Houston Hotels and BBQ Options?

Options
WarBGEagle
WarBGEagle Posts: 6
edited April 2017 in Off Topic

Hello All.  Wife and I are headed to Houston and Galveston for Memorial Day (two days in each town).  Kids are staying back with the grandparents.

Couple of Questions for locals and people who have been:

1)  What are the best BBQ options for Houston and/or Galveston?

2) What is the better place to stay in Galveston - San Luis Resort or Hilton Resort?

- both are about the same price... so that's not really the deciding factor.

- big difference between the two? 

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• chasw14
    chasw14 Posts: 31
    Options
    Having grown up in Galveston and having been to both, The San Luis is nicer with better bars and restaurants.  The pool area is much nicer and the bar area around the pool is nicer. It is a bigger hotel so if you want a smaller hotel, go with the Hilton.  If the price is the same, I would always go with the San Luis
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    edited April 2017
    Options
    BBQ in Houston:
    • Roegels - Especially Thursday for Pastrami
    • Pinkerton's - Jalapeno Cheesy rice and Duck Gumbo
    • Killen's (Down in Pearland)
    • The Pit Room (tacos are a must!)
    • Corkscrew (in Spring)
    • Gaitlins
    • Blood Brothers - popup/truck only so you have to find them on Twitter. Usually on Washington on the weekends
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have not been there, but hear good reports about Killen's Barbecue on the south side of Houston in Pearland. 

It has been a long time since I have been there but lots of good seafood to had, Gaido's (fancy), Fish Tales on the seawall, and I have had good seafood on the bay side near the Strand on the pier where the fishing boats unload their catch.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Growing up in N Houston I
    have a bad taste in my mouth for the area.. However I do rotate around and we stay on the S end of Galveston every two years or so and Ive come to enjoy some of the locals again.

I found this Gem last time I was down there- very casual, food was great.
    http://westendmarina.com/

Previous time there we ate here which was nicer atmosphere but frankly I was at the beach and I wanted more casual
    http://www.waterman-galveston.com/#s1

One last thing I would say to do is hit a Buccees- one in League City on I-45 and if youre near there you can always hit Rudys BBQ.

*Rudys- Some may disagree but I find Rudys to be an above avg BBQ joint.  Its easy to feed my family- everyone can get something they are happy with.  May not be the "best" at anything but pretty good at all of it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.