Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy day Brisket

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
It has been a while since I posted a cook here.  Doing a brisket today for my son's birthday dinner.  Picked up a 14 lb packer at Restaurant Depot (the smallest one they had).  Trimmed and rubbed with Mickeys coffee rub..  Fired up the XL with a LOT of oak and some cherry too.  Egg is dialed in perfect at 275.  I will either foil or turn up the heat later to finish for a 5:00 dinner.  Can't wait!

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Ahh, brings back good memories of visiting my buddy's family in Roch-cha-cha.  Happy birthday to your son, and good eats are in store for all involved!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Great looking protein right there.  Don't know when you started but foil and cranking the temp may be in the future.  Prior based on the following:  14 lbs, figuring a trim of around 2 lbs means you are running with about 12 lbs of protein.  @275*F I have recently been seeing around 0.7-0.8 hrs/lb.  If you want to give it around a 20 minute cooling rack rest and FTC (brisket likes a couple of hour FTC) then you are past the desired slice on demand and eat time.  Just an observation.
    BTW-you can dial it up and/or go with foil to punch it home but go with the feel for the finish-line.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    Looks like there won't be any leftovers, Very nice piece of property you have there ! 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    It was a busy day, no chance to put finished pics until today.  At about 1:30 the IT was 174, I foiled it and removed at about 4:00 to FTC.  Sliced and served at 5:30.  Check out the smoke ring - I don't always get one, but I did today.  THe brisket was great, and because there were only 6 of us, there were lots of leftovers.  I had a brisky sandwich for lunch today, will probably have another
    tonight.

Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nailed it and the elusive smoke ring as well.  Congrats on the cook and eats.
    Curious-do you recall the ballpark cook-time at 275*F?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    I measure temp at the grate with a Maverick, dome temp is a little higher.  This went on at about 7:30 AM, and came off at 4, so about 8-1/2 hours, though I did foil it, and the temp crept up a bit (300) towards the finish. Also, I said I had a lot of oak - it was 2 splits about 12" long laid right on the grate before the lump, which had about 8 chunks of cherry mixed in, lump is Carbon Del Sur.  When the cook was done, about half of the lump remained, but I only found 2 pieces of unburned wood!
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for the insights.  That time-line is in the range I have been seeing.  And you definitely laid the wood to it as described.  Smoke ring is a testament.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Looks awesome.  What internal temp did you pull it off at?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    pulled at 201
    Rochester, NY
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Beautiful!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Awesome job.  id crush a plate

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    By the way, I cooked this fat side down - first time, but will be my MO in the future. The bark stays with the meat instead of the fat ;)
    Rochester, NY