Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook on Egg! (Ribs, Steak, Wings, Sausage)

Options
In a crazy turn of events, my very generous brother won a 4-week old LBGE and island in a coin toss and then gave it to me! I've been wanting one for a while so this is pretty great!

I couldn't get a plate setter quick so I just grabbed a 14" pizza rack and some bricks from the store. I dropped in the rack and it immediately started to melt. It was insane. To improvise, I grabbed an extra foil pan and extended it out and set the bricks on top of it. It was not ideal or perfect but it actually worked LOL!

At the same time, it took us 15min to get the valve closed on the torch we were using. I was scared a fireball was going to pop up somehow.

We cooked Ribeyes for an hour at 225 with no sear at the end. They were a little overcooked but still very tasty. A great first bite from the egg. We did ribs for four hours. Last 90min were wrapped and then 30min wih sauce on them. Smoked the wings for 1:45. They had a nice garlic marinade. After all that came off, I bumped the temp to 600 and did the sausage quick because it was time to eat. We had some family come over.

I have some photos included. Also, we live on the 7th floor of our apartment complex so I had to roll it from our balcony to a grass lot in the back. Wasn't too bad of a hassle and it was totallly worth it. Looking forward to a lot of great food! I think beef plate ribs are next.

Comments

• tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Options
    Forgot to post the Egg returning back to its home before dusk.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hard to know where to start.  Congrats on the egg.  Get a handler or you'll have a Humpty Dumpty.  I like your enthusiasm and cooks.  Where is the island and is it accessible by air ;). Enjoy the score.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So you have to roll it through your apartment, down the elevator, light it, cook on it, let it cool a bit, and then back up to the apartment? That's dedication to the cause right there. Good looking cooks, btw. Welcome to the madness. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!!  Maybe the pictures or my old eyes, but there doesn't look to be an air gap between the egg and the pavers. Look to get a table nest to reduce the heat load on the wood under the pavers - especially with it stored on your apartment balcony!  
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • tymaier
    Options
    da87 said:
    Welcome and enjoy!!  Maybe the pictures or my old eyes, but there doesn't look to be an air gap between the egg and the pavers. Look to get a table nest to reduce the heat load on the wood under the pavers - especially with it stored on your apartment balcony!  

jeffwit said:
    So you have to roll it through your apartment, down the elevator, light it, cook on it, let it cool a bit, and then back up to the apartment? That's dedication to the cause right there. Good looking cooks, btw. Welcome to the madness. 
    That's correct! Rolled it down at 1p and rolled it back
    up at about 7p. For a free egg though, totally worth it. The complex has a couple of gas grills but they are always broken and the BGE is what I'm really looking for. I'll probably cook 1-2 times per week on it. For sure not an every night routine!!

There is no gap between the pacer and the egg. I'll totally invest in doing it right but what is the purpose of having a gap there?
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    tymaier said:
    That's correct! Rolled it down at 1p and rolled it back
    up at about 7p. For a free egg though, totally worth it. The complex has a couple of gas grills but they are always broken and the BGE is what I'm really looking for. I'll probably cook 1-2 times per week on it. For sure not an every night routine!!

There is no gap between the pacer and the egg. I'll totally invest in doing it right but what is the purpose of having a gap there?
    Fire prevention.
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Great cooks, by the way! You really came out firing on all cylinders. Do you remove the charcoal before bringing it back inside or was it still pretty hot when you moved it to your balcony?
    Stillwater, MN
  • tymaier
    Options
    Great cooks, by the way! You really came out firing on all cylinders. Do you remove the charcoal before bringing it back inside or was it still pretty hot when you moved it to your balcony?
    Make sense about the fires. Don't want any of that! I'll grab a nest before the next cook.

I didn't take the coal out this time because I didn't have a real way of storing it. I may for future cooks. Looks like a lot of people use 5gal buckets. It for sure hadn't cooled all the way down. I feel like it was still 160-170 when we started rolling it back up.
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    Make sure you get a table nest, not the regular nest.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Hard to know where to start.  Congrats on the egg.  Get a handler or you'll have a Humpty Dumpty.  I like your enthusiasm and cooks.  Where is the island and is it accessible by air ;). Enjoy the score.

Why do you say he needs a handler ? It is currently in a table which mine at least is very stable !

OP congrats on the generous brother !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Talk about dedication.  Strong start right there.  
    Another endorsement for the table nest for fire prevention.  There have been several instances where the wood beneath the paver (w/o any air gap from the BGE) has fatigued over time and failed during a cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    rolling it out, now that is dedication! Food looks great!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    What an amazing score on the free BGE!  Way cool!  I really believe you are going to have a BALL and some really great cooking!

I don't know where your Egg goes when you get it back to your apartment.  If it's out on a balcony, no problem.  But if you must actually keep it inside your apartment, I'd be very scrupulous about carbon monoxide risk.  Removing the coals and leaving them outside in some way that's safe and appropriate would prevent that.  Having the Egg pretty darn cold when you bring it back AND having a carbon monoxide alarm in your apartment might be another.  Embers nestled in ash can very slowly burn for a LOT longer than you'd think.  No problem if they're outside, but potentially very dangerous inside because of the risk of carbon monoxide.

Your cooks look GREAT -- Fantastic job!  I grilled on other charcoal grills for many years, on gas for a few years, and I never really LOVED the food I cooked until my wife gave me my first Big Green Egg.  I just love cooking on the Egg, and I think you're going to have a ball!
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Nice cook there! You are very dedicated to lug a large around like that!  But you can never pass up a free egg!  If it becomes a bother maybe sell the large and put towards a mm. Make haulin it way easier!
  • SGrabs33
    SGrabs33 Posts: 46
    Options
    I think everyone is missing the most interesting part of this post... he won it in a coin toss??? I think some explanation is needed. Who does these high value coin tosses? What was your brother offering on the side opposite of the egg? 
    Raleigh, NC
  • tymaier
    Options
    Thanks for all the welcomes guys!

SGrabs33 said:
    I think everyone is missing the most interesting part of this post... he won it in a coin toss??? I think some explanation is needed. Who does these high value coin tosses? What was your brother offering on the side opposite of the egg? 
    My brother buys and sells used construction equipment, trucks, and tractors. Heads he got a 4-week old egg. Tails he had to buy a tractor for a mediocre price. It was heads!! Unbelievable honestly.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va