Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Short Ribs

Options
After a brief hiatus Costco once again had prime chuck short ribs. I bought 4 slabs total and decided to try my hand at pastrami with two of them just to do something different. I was working mostly from Ruhlman's various online posts on corned beef and pastrami (I used his corned beef recipe from Charcuterie, including the recipe for pickling spice). It was delicious. While it it's multi-day process it really wasn't too difficult. I will definitely do again.

Into the brine

let it ride for ~5 days or so. After I took it out, I put it in clean water for 12 hours to remove some salt. That turned out to be a good move as the saltiness was just right for us.

Here's what it looked like after coming out of the brine (and water soak). I left it overnight in the fridge uncovered.

rubbed with pepper and coriander

Didn't get any egg pictures, but I put it on at 250 until it hit about 170 IT. I used maple chunks and black walnut for smoke, which I had never used before but I really liked. At 170 (or basically when I liked the bark), I foiled with some water and put back on for a couple of hours. It was about 200 IT when I pulled. 

We ate some just as is, and some as a sort of paleo-reuben (with kraut and mustard). Mine turned out more red that I was expecting, not sure if that's related to pink salt amount or time in the brine. regardless, the taste was really great. Will definitely make again

Comments