Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge and bands.

Options
2»

Comments

• Willieb9000
    Options
    Pictures are great. At some point this weekend can you post the width of the hinge mechanism from outermost edge of bolt to outermost edge of bolt? And if you can roughly measure, how many inches down from rim of base to lowest hinge point when fully opened? Much appreciated. I like the looks of the hinges. 
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Willieb9000 hey southern links BBQ just posted he got the new hinge assembly for his large.  You may want to reach out to him for measurement specs his egg is in a table.   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Got mine from Bruce at the Mothership. Still in the box pending move from ATL back to Columbus, Ohio. SWMBO is happy about it. The move, not the new hinge-kit. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Definitely looks like the swing and squat XL design based off the pictures.  Interesting that there was very little said about this before it came out.  Seems like they'd be hawking the new hinge design that eliminates the issues of underbite.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• acschneid
    acschneid Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. This looks great. Where can I buy these? Anyone have a link? 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Mine should be in next week
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I received the new band and hinge assembly two weeks ago from the mothership, installed it myself, took about 45 minutes or so.  The blue spacer tabs they give were extremely helpful.  I have cooked with the new assembly about 6-8 times now I suppose.  I see a little smoke escaping on the right side near the swing arm every now and again but I haven't tinkered with it yet as I am waiting to see if the egg will sort of re-seal it self now that the dome and base are in alignment.  I do have a rutland from @RRP on the ready if I don't see improvement in the next few weeks.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • piperpilot
    Options
    Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I can't find a better one without starting my own new (which I will do if needed).  I am looking for some of the measturements mentioned here.  I have an outdoor kitchen I designed and I screwed up and the countertops are too close to the back of the egg.  I am getting ready to make some modifications with a "notch" so that the hinge will open, but want to make sure I am doing the right thing.  I have the old style bands and will notch for them unless the newer bands are "closer" to the egg.

The old style bands when closed stick out 3 inches from the edge of the egg and 2 inches down.  When open, that 3 inches goes to 4.5" and still 2 inches down.

I have attached a picture of what I mean by "out" and "down".  Down from the lip of the edge and out from the back side of the egg.Anyone with the new bands that can throw a tape on it and/or take some pictures with measurements would be awesome...I wanna make these cuts 1 time!

Thanks!
    Curtis

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Is your egg sitting in a table nest?  If not the table nest will raise it up. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My suggestion would also be to simply raise the BGE a bit for clearance. Plus, I like having a little more room under the handle in the front of the table.
    Stillwater, MN