Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question For Those Who Have Purchased SRF Beef.

Options
Hey .. recently purchased a SRF Tri Tip, Wagyu - purchase price was $79.95, price is not the issue what is at issue is the smallish size, 2.19 lbs

Here's the backstory, I recently attended a bbq class @ The Woodshed in Anaheim Ca, the Pitmaster for the day was Stef Franklin from Simply Marvelous Rubs.

Among other things, he did three SRF Waygu Tri Tips, they were sent to him (SRF Sponsors him) to promote the company and let me add, the 'Tips' he was sent were HUGE, I'm a big tri tip guy and recognize the difference between small - medium - large and ultra large.

These were ultra large, at least 3 lbs and one in the 3.5 size range.

I was impressed, they came out perfect, in fact up until last week, I thought I cooked the best tri tip, these were 'simply marvelous'

I placed my order, was so excited .. the day for delivery came, I ripped open the container and was surprised at how small (paltry?) the tip was - this was nothing like the ones sent to Stef Franklin for the bbq class.

Hell, they weren't even in the shape of a tradition boomerang tri tip.

Don't get me wrong, I will certainly create magic with this tri tip, just curious as to what others have received?

Tim
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Never have ordered try-tip from SRF but everything I have ordered has met their advertised and on-line weight ranges.  No clue what they advertised for your cut however.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @lousubcap oh, the website described exactly what I might get, 2.5 lbs plus or minus .5 lbs - I just wonder why I couldn't have received the +5 size .. or one like in class, it was a freakin monster.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    I order a lot. Had one minor disappointment - and Shane stepped up immediately and bigger than I expected.  Not sure how they'll respond with him gone, but it's worth reaching out via PM to the folks now on this forum. @SRFANNELLA  and @SRF_Sean.  I know Annella is not new at SRF - I think one of the sales is in her honor - birthday maybe?  My last tri-tip was right in the middle of the promised range and my last brisket at the very, very top of the range....and all good enough to be worth it and more importantly for my lovely wife to encourage me to keep buying SRF!  No connection, not an amp Moyer, and no kickbacks received!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Hate to say it, but 2.5lbs is the weight they say.  Be glad it wasn't 2 lbs .... maybe call next time and see if for a little more $$ they will send you the next size up.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mine was closer to 3#.  I'd email Annella. Their CS is the best. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The briskets I have ordered have always been toward the high end of the range, but I have yet to order anything but that.
  • SoCalTim
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac , oh SRF is legit, they tell you on their site what to expect, the thing is ... the tri tip I saw in class, the 3 given to Stef to promote SRF ... the tri tip that was used to entice me was not even close to what i got.

I'm not mad at SRF, I got what I paid for, sadly I will not be a repeat customer.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I once had an issue with a pork crown roast which was out of the actual weight limits they listed, when I called they credited me $50.00 without blinking. But mine was out of the specs so not sure where you stand. They're customer service is above and beyond though. Good luck. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @SoCalTim - I would offer that if SRF is out with promo product to someone they sponsor there is more than a random selection that goes into what hits the roadshow.  You are like the rest of us-order comes out to be fulfilled and whatever is available is what you get as the sort has already been done.  
    Your choice to not order from them again-however, if the size of your trip-tip is the reason, you may want to rethink that.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    With shipping approaching $40 a lb for tri-tip...and I am sure in your area you can get really good tri tip for $5-$6 all day long. It must have been damn good at the class! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    With shipping approaching $40 a lb for tri-tip...and I am sure in your area you can get really good tri tip for $5-$6 all day long. It must have been damn good at the class! 
    I don't have the words to describe to you what the SRF Wagyu Tri Tip tasted like in class, the tri tip I make at home is Prime from Costco, I thought I made the best tri tip, sadly my tri tip is not even close - there was practically no bite, it was so tender and went down soooo smooth ... when my time on earth is done and I'm looking back on the top 2 or 3 meals I've ever had, this will included on this list.

Melodramatic, but true.
  • da87
    Options
    @SoCalTim. I have an SRF tri-tip in the freezer and would love to have it turn out like the one you describe!  Could you share any other details of the cook (all if possible) so that I can try to achieve the same result?  Thank you in advance!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SoCalTim
    edited March 2017
    Options
    da87 said:
    @SoCalTim. I have an SRF tri-tip in the freezer and would love to have it turn out like the one you describe!  Could you share any other details of the cook (all if possible) so that I can try to achieve the same result?  Thank you in advance!
    Hi, the following is my way, first .. IMO, tri tip should be done only one way, Santa Maria Style. The trick is to get the rub to penetrate deep into the tri tip roast, to accomplish this, I dry brine the tip with Kosher salt for a minimum of 6 hrs and up to 24. (not too much salt, just as much if you were salting a cooked piece of meat to your liking)

I've never done a Wagyu tip before, so my intention is to wing it, so the way I'm explaining if for a Prime cut.

6 hr dry brine, once complete, then you rub down with olive oil, 3 rubs - Granulated Garlic, Lawry's seasoned salt & coarse black pepper. Don't worry about the tip being too salty, it can take it.

Start with garlic, get alot on the tip, this is the base ingredient. Next add seasoned salt, a moderate amount is good, allow the rubs to set (it'll get pasty) let the tip sit on the counter covered and come to room temp. The reason for the room temp is that you want to promote even cooking throughout, just before you put in on your pit, add the pepper.

Temp can be kinda tricky, some say hot & fast, others low & slow. I'm in the 225-250 camp these days.

Finishing temps, I'm in the 135-139 camp, but this is me, I just make adj to your liking.

Tomorrow, for this cook I want to finish @ 139 so I will pull at 133-ish and sear to my desired temp.

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Not SRF, but the typical PRIME Costco Prime Tri tip is trimmed down so much that they weigh between 2 & 2.5 Lbs average. Hard to find a 2 pack that is over 5 pounds around here.

Very good flavor though...
    South SLO County
  • da87
    Options
    Thanks @SoCalTim. Enjoy the SRF, it will be great!  
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @SoCalTim - sorry to hear that the SRF tip was on the small side. Even though it may not be as big as you expected, I'll bet it's still heaven when you bite into it. I have had a several orders from SRF and while there were a couple pieces here or there that were toward the smaller end of their size range, the flavor has been outstanding.

Your cooking method described above has me salivating - no doubt you have this process dialed in. With the low cook temp, are you reverse searing I assume? We don't get Costco tritip here in the midwest but I sure wish we could.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac , oh SRF is legit, they tell you on their site what to expect, the thing is ... the tri tip I saw in class, the 3 given to Stef to promote SRF ... the tri tip that was used to entice me was not even close to what i got.

I'm not mad at SRF, I got what I paid for, sadly I will not be a repeat customer.
    Yeah, I hear that.  I would feel a bit jiped, especially if the teacher said, "these are .... " and you ordered just what he said.  Best advice is call SRF and explain your situation.

I will say I don't order anything except ham and briskets.  It is purely because they are weights much lower than I prefer.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @SoCalTim
    I guess you didn't see this week's Stater Bros ad

Tim in SoCal aka td66snrf

The ad runs til Wednesday 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @td66snrf sadly there isn't a Stater Bros near me. Fantastic price!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    There are Stater Bros. stores in the north part of San Diego city and nearby suburban cities, but they don't advertise down here in the Big City. That sale is good till March 29th, and they are TRIMMED! I have to wonder if there's a catch here--haven't seen prices that low in two or three years.
    Judy in San Diego
  • the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That is a great price for tri tip.  The thing is, it's select grade beef at Stater Bros.  Sliced thin against the grain and it'll still turn out pretty good.  
  • td66snrf
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Oh right your in Ventura, correct?
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    SoCalTim said:

Oh right your in Ventura, correct?
    No,  I'm in the SFV. Chatsworth.
  • td66snrf
    Options
    No Staters up there?