Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge and bands.

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
Just got the new hinge and band assembly design. This design seems a lot better it should cure my long time misalignment issues. Just wanted to share some pictures of it. 
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• g37
    Options
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Last weekend I was at my dealer buying some DP rub and I saw an XL with the new band. I grabbed it and still about strained a gut opening it! Since I have had little experience opening an XL with an older band then I'm clueless how to believe that new band is a game changer! But like I said...I have had little experience with an older XL band.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Should be a lot less twisting with the new bands. With the old ones connecting to both sides of the egg just inches apart and supporting all that weight it was easy for it to twist and mess up the alignment. Thanks for posting the pic.
  • g37
    Options
    Sorry guys this is the new large band and hinge assembly.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
     mg37 said:
    Sorry guys this is the new large band and hinge assembly.  
    Yes, I believe the new band first came out for the XL. The ones for the large just came out.
  • g37
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Love it my dome and base are aligned once again.  No more smoke leaks.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Clue me in,  what are the differences?
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Mine comes in this week (warranty). Was it easy to install?
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • g37
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @stompbox  the old large band and hinge the springs were in the back. I think this new set up is like the xl bands and hinge assembly.  @poster I paid 65$ for shipping. Bruce @BGE helped me out with my warranty claim great guy. @EggMcMic the install was pretty easy. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2017
    Options
    g37 said:
    @stompbox  the old large band and hinge the springs were in the back. I think this new set up is like the xl bands and hinge assembly.  @poster I paid 65$ for shipping. Bruce @BGE helped me out with my warranty claim great guy. @EggMcMic the install was pretty easy. 
    Before everyone freaks out about the $65.00 shipping price, @g37
    lives in Hawaii. Shipping cost more going to paradise.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • g37
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes, I guess that's the price of paradise. Bruce did give me an option to get a free band and hinge assembly from my dealer. I didn't want the old set up so i chose to get the new set up. Having a passion for the egg is expensive in paradise. There's not to many stores here that sell premium lump, rubs and egg accessories.  Shipping is super expensive to my location. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • RRP
    Options
    g37 said:
    Yes, I guess that's the price of paradise. Bruce did give me an option to get a free band and hinge assembly from my dealer. I didn't want the old set up so i chose to get the new set up. Having a passion for the egg is expensive in paradise. There's not to many stores here that sell premium lump, rubs and egg accessories.  Shipping is super expensive to my location. 
    Shipping yes, but using USPO flat rate boxes you can pack a lot of weight into those for the same cost of shipping to a town 10 miles away. Remember "if it fits it ships". That's the way Greg sells his guava wood from HI as I have purchased it several times.
  • Photo Egg
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    g37 said:
    Shipping yes, but using USPO flat rate boxes you can pack a lot of weight into those for the same cost of shipping to a town 10 miles away. Remember "if it fits it ships". That's the way Greg sells his guava wood from HI as I have purchased it several times.
    Agree, but larger items like the bands, you are just S.O.L.
    Not to mention the steel pizza stones. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    I too have this hinge now for my L BGE. Much improved and easy install. 
  • G8trman84
    Options
    Are they shipping new eggs with the new band yet, or are they just replacements?  I just got my egg less than a month ago and have the old band....I feel like I should have waited.
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    Does it open as far as the old hinges on the L ? Looks the same as the XL which doesn't open that high 
  • g37
    Options
    It doesn't open as high as the old assembly.   I'm not sure about the newer eggs coming with the newer band and hinge assembly. If u have no problems with your old hinges don't mess with it.  I had major alignment and smoke leak problems. That's the only reason I switched to the new assembly.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • RRP
    Options
    G8trman84 said:
    Are they shipping new eggs with the new band yet, or are they just replacements?  I just got my egg less than a month ago and have the old band....I feel like I should have waited.
    Welcome aboard but unless your dealer is a SUPER high volume dealer - which very few are - then the inventory most have on hand probably go back 6 or 12 months ago! So being the new hinge - don't count on it! 
  • Outdoorsman66
    Options
    g37 said:
    It doesn't open as high as the old assembly.   I'm not sure about the newer eggs coming with the newer band and hinge assembly. If u have no problems with your old hinges don't mess with it.  I had major alignment and smoke leak problems. That's the only reason I switched to the new assembly.  
    I'll second that on all points. I had the same issue which is why I changed things up. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    anyone tried it with the raised grid setups like the adjustable rig. looks like it lifts and slides back at the same time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    anyone tried it with the raised grid setups like the adjustable rig. looks like it lifts and slides back at the same time
    Good point. Probably ok with just the Rig but wonder about the new raised slider that fits on top the Rig?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Might have to be more aware of the dome thermo catching tall cooks on the AR too if it slides back more rather than "lifting" up. I cooked a large bone-in ham indirect once that would barely clear the thermo while opening the dome. It was actually peeking up into the neck on the dome when closed.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Neil Gunn
    Neil Gunn Posts: 93
    Options
    I am very interested in installing the new band and hinge assembly on my large, but I'm unsure if my BGE is pre 2008 or post. I purchased it in the fall of 2008, but don't know how long it might have sat in the dealer's show room. Is there any way to tell if the new bands will work on my Egg?
  • Willieb9000
    Options
    Would you mind posting a couple pictures that show the side view open and closed? Also, I am designing a table and with the current bands, if the egg sits low in the table you have to leave a square "notch" at the back of the circle you cut in the table that is the width and depth of the hinge when opened. Does this change that? Does the notch need to be wider?  How far below the lip of the base does the dome dip when opened? I need new bands so I might as well design my table for them. I will definitely get true measurements before building but would appreciate any early insight you can provide. 
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • g37
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Willieb9000 as soon as i get home I'll post the pics here. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    Options
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    Options

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Willieb9000
    Willieb9000 Posts: 48
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You are the man! Muchas Gracias. So it looks like the hinges are not much wider than they were on the old bands -- just without the springs. It also looks like if I have at least 4 or 5 inches or so of clearance from table top to rim of base I should be good. Would you agree with that?
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • g37
    Options
    I agree. Let me know if u need any more pics.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii