Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Rub St. Louuis Ribs

Options
SaintJohnsEgger
SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
I'm doing 2 racks of St. Louis style ribs today and my son wants some dry rub ribs.

I know how to do  ribs with the whole 3-2-1 thing but how do I do "dry rub ribs"? I am assuming that the 3-2-1 still applies but how do I get that dry rub finished rib? Instead of basting with BBQ sauce for the final few minutes on the grill, do I just sprinkle them again with my rub (Holy Cow from Meat Church)? Do I wait and sprinkle them just before serving?

I figure you guys would know what to do.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    If you like 3-2-1, stick with it (I personally find 2 hours in foil too much).  In fact, the only thing you are going to change is not adding sauce.  You should not need to add more rub but of course you can do so.
    Toronto ON
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks @Simcan

I am finding 2 hours in foil to be too much. I think I'll do these today at 1.5 then shorten again next time if this is still too long.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    My preference is unwrappped.  You should try one rack rubbed and just let it run 6-0-0 and do the other however you want, but I wouldn't add any liquid at all when you wrap and make sure you have plenty of unwrapped time at the end.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I saw your other post and do know you already have your ribs on your egg, but with dry rub ribs (to me), I layer rubs on the ribs. I start with a base, like a season-all from Simply Marvelous (many others out there) once that absorbs in the ribs, I layer on a main rub (I love to use Pecan) let that absorb - then finally sprinkle on a very fine finishing rub, like Poptitude ... i love to layer flavors.

Rib's done right don't need sauce. IMO, of course.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks @SoCalTim

I'm not a big fan of dry rub ribs though I have eaten some before a t a local BBQ chain. I never though of layering the flavors and if I east any I'll probably just taste them and then put sauce on them at the dinner table. 

I used apple wood for the smoke but I have used pecan in the past.
    MiniMax 04/17

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I no longer foil my ribs. I set the temp at 250 grate level so that the fat renders. After an hour or so I spritz with an apple juice/cider vinegar mixture spraying every hour. Once the ribs start to pull back from the bone about 1/4 inch I use a toothpick to test for tenderness. I like a glaze of Bone Suckin Sauce Thicker style but you may want to try one slab without. 
    Cherry and Oak for smoke.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Do you know if your son would like to replicate Memphis style dry rubbed ribs? 

With memphis style (like Rendezvous) the seasoning is applied after they are cooked. I think you could still do a foil stage if you want but I would probably just try them with no foil and use the vinegar mop. I think the idea is the vinegar mop has time to cook off, then there is a final dusting of rub.  A couple of recipes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/memphis-style-dry-ribs-barbecue-rub-recipe.html

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/rendezvous_ribs_in_a_hurry.html 

To be honest I am not a huge fan of this style either. I prefer the rub to be cooked into the meat like @SocalTim described. I would probably cook them that way, and then perhaps sprinkle a little more rub on the a couple of finished ribs and give it a taste test. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.