Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dark deep dish pizza pan...

Options
....any truth to that "the darker the better" theory? For some odd reason my interest in Pizza making has suddenly ramped up. Bought a couple of books...along with some 
http://www.shepherdsgrain.com low gluten flour...this stuff makes some incredibly light, delicate DELICIOUS dough. Anyhow...ordered a Metal Works pan...seen in several articles that an unseasoned pan will slow down progress...and may result in an improperly cooked deep dish pizza...what say you fine folks?
Found some pizza dough proofing pans with a lid at a local thrift store. Picked up some mozzarella/romano/parmesan cheese for smoking. 
Apologies for rambling 

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i just use one of my cast iron skillets for deep dish
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have only used this 9" Chicago Metallic cake pan (dark gray) for deep dish. Works well, oven or egg. image
    If you're interested, here's how I do it...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167656/how-to-make-authentic-chicago-deep-dish-pizza-in-two-hours-or-less/p1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    tonyled said:
    i just use one of my cast iron skillets for deep dish
    I have only used this 9" Chicago Metallic cake pan (dark gray) for deep dish. Works well, oven or egg. image
    If you're interested, here's how I do it...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167656/how-to-make-authentic-chicago-deep-dish-pizza-in-two-hours-or-less/p1

Will be using a skillet at some point..
    Thanks for the link...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @dougcrann, if you read through the Deep Dish link I provided, quite a few folks tried that recipe/method. One or two said they used a CI skillet as I recall. I never have. For pan pizza, yes, but not Chicago deep dish. Anyway, multiple experiences in that thread. Hope it helps!

Pan pizza is not the same as deep dish. Kenji has a good recipe for pan pizza. Here's one of mine (done in CI).

Hope some of this is useful!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Here is our copy cat recipe for Pizza Hut pizza.  We have 14 inch & 16 inch deep dish pans, but have never actually used all of oil the recipe calls for in the pans.  We just spray them with Pam.  Now that we have the Egg I think we will use that almost exclusively for pizza, but this dough recipe still works for "Egged" pizza.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @UncleBilly, thanks! The URL shown on your pic is no longer valid, but here's the new one if anyone wants to bookmark it. http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/525/Pizza_Hut_Original_Pan_Pizza41605.shtml

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The science backs up the dark pan better browning.  Have seen it referenced on ATK I believe.  Kenji also did when he picked the Lodge CI pizza pan as the overall winner in testing, even over stone.

The old school CI Pizza Hut pans do show up  on occasion at fleabay.

Found a brand new Sassafrass stone deep dish baker pan for 6 bucks at an antique store.  Have yet to use it.

Chicago casserole just isn't my thang, and so many better food options when visiting the Shy.  Maybe I'll try to rip one down the road?

The Kenji recipe is one of our faves, getting heavy handed with the sauce, cheese, and toppings.  The lovely contrast of pillowy soft, crunchy, stand on its own, gooey goodness.  

1T of EVOO in the bottom of the iron is plenty, 2Ts was too much IMO.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    Chicago casserole just isn't my thang, and so many better food options when visiting the Shy.  Maybe I'll try to rip one down the road?
    Never understood how a pizza lover could say that about deep dish. The crust is different, but all of the flavors are the same as, say, a NY pie. Or even a Pizza Hut pie.

My oldest is the same as you. He was in Chicago a year or so ago and I got him to eat at Duo, an offshoot of the original (not the franchises) Pizzeria Uno. By all accounts I've read, Duo is supposed to be quite good. He is a NY pizza snob and thought it sucked. =)

Some guys just don't know good pizza when they taste it. :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Man these pizzas look good.....I need to invest in a pizza stone......great job!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm not even hungry but I could tear into those pies.  Damn nice work!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Never understood how a pizza lover could say that about deep dish. The crust is different, but all of the flavors are the same as, say, a NY pie. Or even a Pizza Hut pie.

My oldest is the same as you. He was in Chicago a year or so ago and I got him to eat at Duo, an offshoot of the original (not the franchises) Pizzeria Uno. By all accounts I've read, Duo is supposed to be quite good. He is a NY pizza snob and thought it sucked. =)

Some guys just don't know good pizza when they taste it. :rofl:
    Ron is right, after numerous pics of CI in a CS thread, you're losing your mind.  Next thing you know, you'll  be standing proudly for half a day in the Franklin line.

They, Chi vs NY, or Chi vs Pizza Hut, couldn't be more different.  Toppings braised in gravy, as opposed to the browning on top of a NYer.  You're smarter than this Q.

Chicago style is the worst style of pizza.  Just ask any Italian.  I think I 'd rather have a tortilla pizza before a casserole.

Have you tried the pizza lasagna recipe yet?  Seems like it's right up your alley. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."