Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Follow Up

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
From a post yesterday: 

I did a Pastrami this weekend. I took a Costco Corned Beef Brisket and soaked it in water for about 10 hours to desalinate, changing the water every couple hours. Following that I coated the meat with ground coriander and black pepper, plus a little Kosher salt. It sat in a ziplock overnight.

Yesterday I threw it on the Egg with some Pecan chunks. It went 3 hours in pretty heavy smoke at 300 or so. Then I put in in a foil pan on a grate to raise it off the bottom, adding an inch of beef broth for a steaming medium. I sealed the top with foil and put it back on the Egg to steam for 3 hours. I pulled it at 208 degrees. After a good long rest it was still a little chewy. The connective tissue hadn't quite rendered out. I wrapped it tight in foil and threw it in the oven for a couple hours at 225. It's melt in your mouth tender now. Looking forward to sandwiches tonight.

And now the follow-up...

After sitting in the fridge overnight in foil, I warmed the meat up in a slow oven for an hour or so, then sliced sandwiches to order. It turned out great. It was gone before I thought to take photos so you'll need to trust me on that. At first I thought it might be a little dry, but in retrospect it was juicier than any deli Pastrami I've ever had. I'll try this process again next time Corned Beef Briskets are on sale. Next time I think I'll leave it on the smoke for another hour and increase the steam time an hour too.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments