Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great weekend of cooks!

Options
We got our outdoor cooking started straight away on Friday with Reubens  on the Blackstone. Tested out my first mandolin on these chips, as well. Where has this tool been all my life? Awesome meal, especially with a few pints of Murphy's Irish Stout. 

Saturday was Philly cheesesteaks for lunch on the Blackstone.  I've never eaten one before but I know the basic idea, so off I went. I was able to find some thinnly sliced beef at Meijer, grilled it up with onions and green peppers and a couple splashes of wochestershire sauce. Topped them with provolone and serve them up on day-old Jimmy John's bread.  A tip I received from a contributor to this forum. $0.48 price tag makes it a crime to not use it. 
Saturday night we entertained and I used my new DIY raised grate for pizza.  Following advice from this forum, I went easier on the toppings and dialed back the temperature. My prayers were answered. Unfortunately, we ate the pizza so quickly I have no pictures to show. But rest assured, those who provided me advice helped me be successful, and my family thanks you. 

We did a Smore's dip baked in cast iron for dessert. The recipe can be found on Lodge's website. The picture here shows it after we did the best to polish it off. This is a must make. 

And I wrapped up my weekend cooking by trying my hand at cedar plank salmon. Here is some sockeye fillets which were dressed with the citrus maple glaze. We even used our house made maple syrup! Served along side prosciutto wrapped asparagus.

What an awesome meal to wrap up an awesome weekend.  Making people happy with food is my new hobby. I always enjoyed cooking but the enjoyment I get lately is next level. Thanks for looking. 

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great eats all the way around!  Strong work.  The Murphy's....great touch.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Wow everything looks so good. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Especially those chips!!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    You sir, nailed it!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'd be proud of those meals. Nice work and I'm sure it was delicious.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Great looking food. If you were impressed with your mandolin read up on using it to julienne. Truly a where have you been all my life experience. 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Philly is one of my favorite sandwiches.  May have to invest a griddle and try to duplicate your success!  +1 on the inspiration and assistance from forum members.  I've only been here a short time, but everyone has been super helpful.  I am learning tons and getting new ideas every day.  A great group of people here. 
    XL  Central Ohio
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow...fantastic cooks!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That's a solid weekend!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Outstanding!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
  • NewBerlinEggprentice
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the kind words. It's fun to share posts like this with folks who can relate. Cooking inside...who needs it?

That said I'm using a crock pot tomorrow for beef stew. Hahaha. 

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• enderw30
    enderw30 Posts: 58
    Options
    It all looks amazing! Especially that salmon!