Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak - change in quality?

I've been a red bag RO guy for years now. My past two bags have been nothing but tiny shreds of coal. I am used to seeing a decent ratio of large chunk to small chunk in the bags and realize that the small pieces tend to settle to the bottom. My last bags however did not have what I would consider medium pieces much less some chunks. 

Did RO change something or did I just get unlucky on the past two? 

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Just bought two bags yesterday. Will pop one open today and get back with you. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    My guess is luck. I have alternated between Frontier, BGE, and Rockwood for the last 8 months, depending on what was available and how far I wanted to drive. With each I have found better bags and worse bags. Though I must say I have only had two bags of Rockwood and their 'worse' bag was relative, still better than most of the 'better' bags of others!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    My guess is luck. Picked a bag up at HD last week at it is a majority of bigger pieces. FWIW, they had the large bags for $9.98 last week. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Handling has it's fair share of abuse. Maybe this pallet was a little more neglected than others
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I think it's all down to how that pallet was handled. Last time I bought some RO it came from the top of a newly delivered pallet and was great. Well, as great as RO gets.
    Time before, I bought a couple bags that had been around a while and had a lot of dust and no large pieces. 

That said, the main dealer I go to got rid of RO last year and now carries Humphrey's, which I like a lot more.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited March 2017
    I use a simple set of tools for my lump selection process...my eyes, hands and ears! Before I pick up a bag I look it over for apparent abuse in handling. Then I pick it up in the middle and make sure it feels solid and full, not at all bottom half heavy. Then I give it a gentle shake. A good bag will emit a crisp "clink clink" sound as the lump shifts - but only slightly in the bag. This practice has served me well for years! BTW I also prefer to shop where the retailer leaves the lump on the pallet on which it was shipped. When a retailer has staff stock shelves with it there is too much chance some gorillas play "bean bag toss".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i think it has more to do with the lumps condition going into the bag than how it was handled. i like small lump for my mini and jumping on the bag does not seem to make small lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    i think it has more to do with the lumps condition going into the bag than how it was handled. i like small lump for my mini and jumping on the bag does not seem to make small lump
    oh I agree, but my method still sorts out the bags for what a person wants and if all they want are the small and dusty pieces those will be revealed too with my eyes, ears and hands method.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I flip the bag over, if it sounds like a Native American rain stick, I put it back. 
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    I really don't judge the quality of lump by the size of each piece, rather by how my food tastes when using it. I don't think I've ever wished I had bigger pieces to burn but have broken up many a large chunk to make them smaller. I just dump it out of the bag and light it. As @Battleborn mentioned, Home Depot has the 15# bags for $9.97 this year. I think this might be a semi-permanent price decrease from $12.97. It was last year that they reduced the bag size from 17+ lbs. to 15+ lbs. but charged the same $12.97 price as before. Maybe they didn't sell quite as many as they wanted to so lowered the price. I still prefer Rockwood, but do buy Royal Oak occasionally.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • bhedges1987
    Just about how I like it. If you want bigger try kamado joe. It's the largest lump I've used and I hate it. I prefer medium sized with some smaller pieces tbh.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    Both royal oak bags today looked that way

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    unlucky
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jclayto
    Jclayto Posts: 27
    Thanks for the reassurance all. I picked up a bunch of Kamodo Joe during the costco road show so i'll be set for a while. I am glad to hear that Royal Oak is still a viable option as well. 
  • There was a big sale on RO at Home Depot last year and I stocked up.  Some people commented at the time that there was a little offgassing of the bags. If the deal comes around again I will pass. The fire would really rage hot sometimes to the point where it felt like there was an accelerant at play.  

Will try RO again in a pinch but the experience definitely reinforced that RO is often middle grade and not a sure thing top grade. 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    There was a big sale on RO at Home Depot last year and I stocked up.  Some people commented at the time that there was a little offgassing of the bags. If the deal comes around again I will pass. The fire would really rage hot sometimes to the point where it felt like there was an accelerant at play.  

Will try RO again in a pinch but the experience definitely reinforced that RO is often middle grade and not a sure thing top grade. 
    I bought 10 bags...never had a problem with any of them. Run temps from 150-700 with 0 issues. No taste issues also. Also got big,medium,and smaller pieces.
  • bhedges1987
    It did have an off smell tonight I will say. It's been a while since I've used royal oak. My food was still good though. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    My last bag of Rockwood was the same way...all little pieces at the bottom. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Used what seems like hundreds of bags of RO without trouble. I don't understand when I see the negative comments. I have never had a hard time burning small, medium, or large chunks. The dust will even burn, go figure. 
  • The trick to selecting the best royal oak charcoal is to grab the bag and squeeze it at the base.  There's much to tell how the contents are oriented.  For example, if it rattles too much, then it can have small stuff in it.  If it is a large stout monolithic (I just looked this up) non-rattle like feel, it's probably a big chunk.  My guess is it's a trunk base and they are never good, plenty of stuff grows in them and then you'll have to start a thread about all the stuff in your lump, which everyone seems to find great joy and pleasure in, so maybe that's the feel you should go for, unless you want to cook stuff, then you can post something about what you're cooking, unless that's something banal, and then it'll fit in like urban camo and no one will post anything on your post, and that's kinda embarrasing, so I'd really feel that lump up something good and then you'll have something good to talk about.  That's all I have.  This kinda discuttion really is interesting. 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    The last 3 bags of RO I've bought have come from WallyWorld and we're 15 pounders.  All three have been heavy on little chunks and dust.  Like @cookingdude555 said, it does all burn, but makes an unholy mess.  I find the little chunks have a greater tendency to get stuck in the grate too.  I've only used one bag of BGE, but I must say that it's ratio large/medium chunks to small chunks appears to have been better.  Don't know if any of that truly matters though.  $9.98 for 15# of RO vs. $25 for 20# at the BGE dealer.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    RO is great for the price. But you get what you pay for as they say.

Other than the dust and chunks of concrete, the only downfall is I find it much less neutral than premium brands.  So I typically use RO where food more tolerant of smoke.  I.E. not chicken.  Perfect for low and slows though since smoking is the point.

It seems to need more time to get to a clear flame for me as wel.
  • WeberWho
    The last 3 bags of RO I've bought have come from WallyWorld and we're 15 pounders.  All three have been heavy on little chunks and dust.  Like @cookingdude555 said, it does all burn, but makes an unholy mess.  I find the little chunks have a greater tendency to get stuck in the grate too.  I've only used one bag of BGE, but I must say that it's ratio large/medium chunks to small chunks appears to have been better.  Don't know if any of that truly matters though.  $9.98 for 15# of RO vs. $25 for 20# at the BGE dealer.
    @unclebilly The BGE lump is rebagged Royal Oak. You can save a few bucks if you can purchase regular Royal Oak. You are essentially paying more just so the bag can say BGE on it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    "rebagged"? don't think so...it is made by RO for them. RO also produces private label bags for other companies, buy not a rebagging effort. 
  • WeberWho
    RRP said:
    "rebagged"? don't think so...it is made by RO for them. RO also produces private label bags for other companies, buy not a rebagging effort. 
    Your thinking to hard RRP. It's obviously not rebagged but I think you get my point ;)

Minnesota
  • RRP
    Yes, sorry about correcting you. Me bad!
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited March 2017
    I just saw the lowered price at Home Depot. I'm curious if there going to phase out Royal Oak and that's why they lowered the price to get rid of stock.  I'm hoping that I'm wrong it's  the only lump available to me. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Home Depot has routinely lowered the price of RO for short periods.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bhedges1987
    edited March 2017
    SBGonzo said:
    My last bag of Rockwood was the same way...all little pieces at the bottom. 
    Every bag of rock wood is like that for me. I see no difference in the pieces, only in the initial start up to burn off the bad smells. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Not trying to Hijack but since I was loading up the grill today- and I rotate with this and RO and an occasional Rockwood.  I was surprised at the size of chunks coming out.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.