Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I made the jump today

Options
2»

Comments

• B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    Agree don't go over 700 for pizza, btw I seldom cook pizza in my eggs (another story). Clean burn is akin to self cleaning your kitchen oven, some folks go nuclear until the dome thermometer needle 'wraps around'  =)
    Ahhhh Got it. Thanks
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited March 2017
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Congrats on the great deal and welcome! Just want to share this... if/when you do clean burn or pizza cook, try not to go nuclear, to minimise the risk of cracking any ceramic part (since/assuming you don't have the lifetime warranty).
    I keep an eye out... What would be a good safe max temp to work with for a pizza

The fire box and fire ring will most likely crack, high heat cooks speed that up. Fortunately, all the ceramic has a lifetime warranty from cracking due to cooking. However, when the egg is really hot (north of 500) for a long time the band stretch. Domes have been known to fall out. The warranty does not cover that. It is good to check every so often that the bands are tight, but that does not stop the bands from stretching. One time I did a clean burn. I tightened both band before lighting the egg. After lighting up for a burn I never open it until it cools down. At about the hour and a half mark I realized I had forgotten to put the plate setter in the egg. When I opened it I heard the egg sliding through the bands and closed the dome. The dome had slipped through the band almost all the way around. I wondered if the nut had backed off or was it stretching of the band. I marked the bolt with a Sharpie. I loosened the band in case it was from stretching, because if that was the case, when the band cooled and contracted it may crack the egg. After I was able to get everything back like it was supposed to be I checked. After tightening the band, the nut was in the same spot after the slip. Most pizza cooks are quick, so even at high temps stretching like that will probably not occur. But some people have pizza parties where they make many small pizzas. In a case like that the egg is rolling along at high temps for quite a while. That could be an issue.
    Welcome to egging. By the way, soon you probably will not like many of the meals in the restaurant like you do know. Especially steaks and ribs. 
    Edit: Sorry, I forgot that you said you bought used, forget what I said about the ceramics and warranty.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice score ;).   Now get that thing dirty. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    +1 to @northGAcock, doesn't count until there are photos and the egg is dirty!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Congrats. Sounds like you got a great deal. 

As I said in my response to your previous post, I think the Medium is one of the best performers of the lineup. Fantastic cooker.

Enjoy!
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    The medium is an ideal size for cooking meals for two people. And let's face it, you can only cook one pizza at a time no matter what size egg you buy.

In short time you will discover the two unfortunate shortcomings with a Medium. 1) When using small sized charcoal found at the near the end of a bag of lump, semi-burnt charcoal that obstructs even one of the holes in the fire bowel makes a significant difference in air flow and therefore dome temperature. A clogged hole in a Mediums fire bowel makes a much more dramatic difference than in other size eggs; so much so other size BGE owners don't understand because they are not as affected. Buy a Kick Ash Basket and solve this problem. 2) Face the reality now, Large is the dominant size BGE. So all the cool aftermarket accessories are made for Larges first, XL second, and then us minority stakeholders sometime down the line (maybe). In my seven years of happy Medium ownership I've waited years for a cast iron plate setter, the medium sized KAB, or a different grate. I've given up all hope of a medium sized Woo or a Medium sized cast iron table nest; they just ain't ever gonna happen.

For cooking for two people, the Medium is an ideal size. I've never used my warranty and cooked about twice a week for seven years. 
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Hans61 said:
    Why was he selling his egg
    He's a golfer and he didn't get to use it as much as he thought he would
    What, he couldn't get SWMBO to get it to temp while he finished up at the 19th hole? 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I have a medium Woo @bobroo
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    B747crew said:
    " don't do clean burns "

I really don't have an idea yet what a clean burn is??
    It does turn the ceramics nearly as white as new, but many have reported issues in the wake of the process. I'm not passing judgement cuz this is a sensitive subject for many. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Welcome! I also started out with a medium. And now have 3 eggs lol

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf