Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First steak on my grill

Options
Yea....I've had this thing two years and never once done a steak.   I've done plenty of others, but honestly my wife's steak in the skillet/oven finish has been too good to even think about screwing around with.   Tonight I am solo so have a strip, maybe an inch.   I've never done reverse sear.   Is that thick enough to do it or just flip flip flip?  I like it medium, and if had to choose I'd take medium rare over medium well.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yea....I've had this thing two years and never once done a steak.   I've done plenty of others, but honestly my wife's steak in the skillet/oven finish has been too good to even think about screwing around with.   Tonight I am solo so have a strip, maybe an inch.   I've never done reverse sear.   Is that thick enough to do it or just flip flip flip?  I like it medium, and if had to choose I'd take medium rare over medium well.
    I would say flip flip flip. I don't bother with the reverse sear for anything under 2". I may very well be in the minrority. I cook steaks to feel as well. It will be firming up a bit to get to medium. If you have a thermopen I would not go over 140. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Oh, good luck!
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Thanks much, I think that's the way I'll go

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Thanks much, I think that's the way I'll go
    So what's the verdict? Better off the egg or better from the skillet/oven?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Pretty good, not sure if I'd take it over the skillet/oven yet.   Perfectly cooked though as far as temp (medium) with very little gray.   So overall success.   I just flipped multiple times around 450 both raised and close to the coals.   Worked out fine :) 

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone