Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonneau covers

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    AaronH said:
    I just bought a Xtang Solid fold 2.0. It's wayy better than the first generation. 
    What is better on the new version?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    I purchased a Peragon Retractable 2 months ago. I really like it. It's practically water tight. Check them out. 
    How's your cover holding up @Big_Green_Craig? You still like it? 
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Got my truck a couple of weeks ago, was looking at the Peragon, ultimately went with b the Undercover Flex...should get it next week.
  • hondabbq
    Got my truck a couple of weeks ago, was looking at the Peragon, ultimately went with b the Undercover Flex...should get it next week.
    I'm on my third one of those.
    I know they aren't "waterproof" but there is an expectation of dryness. 

First one was like a sieve. My whole bed was wet. Front to back and left to right. 
    Second leaked not as much but enough to know it was above mine and the tonneaus standards. 
    Third one is good. 
    Buy from a place that will give good after service and you will have no issues. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    I watched a video of the Paragon and it's not for me. It doesn't look like you can store much in the front of the bed because the panels go down into the bed to fold up. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I watched a video of the Paragon and it's not for me. It doesn't look like you can store much in the front of the bed because the panels go down into the bed to fold up. 

Exactly. The fact that it "dives" into the bed when you open it means you have to forfeit use of that space. I had visions of cargo sliding forward and thus not being able to open the cover and having to crawl under the closed cover to pull cargo back far enough to open the darn thing. They do look slick tho but I went with something else (Diamondback).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JeggHed
    JeggHed Posts: 20
    Apology for posting on this old thread, seem the only topic around here. We are needing a bed cover for the truck and can't decide which among tonneau covers nowadays are working perfectly for many years. We have that 1-pc hard cover but now I haul tall stuffs, I need that upright space. It has to keep most of the rain water out as well. Are those retractables worth it?

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    JeggHed said:
    Apology for posting on this old thread, seem the only topic around here. We are needing a bed cover for the truck and can't decide which among tonneau covers nowadays are working perfectly for many years. We have that 1-pc hard cover but now I haul tall stuffs, I need that upright space. It has to keep most of the rain water out as well. Are those retractables worth it?

My two Truxedos have been worth it.  My 6.5ft box is full when camping.  The rollup is nice, takes 30 seconds to roll out/up.  Even if rain hits, I roll it down and keep things dry.  My coolers fit under the Truxedo as well.  Small egg won't, but thst usually gets parked with its own transport table, on the lot picnic table.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JeggHed
    Focker said:
    JeggHed said:

My two Truxedos have been worth it.  My 6.5ft box is full when camping.  The rollup is nice, takes 30 seconds to roll out/up.  Even if rain hits, I roll it down and keep things dry.  My coolers fit under the Truxedo as well.  Small egg won't, but thst usually gets parked with its own transport table, on the lot picnic table.
    Thank you! What particular Truxedo covers are those? I read lots of reviews about Lo Pro QT.
  • hondabbq said:
    A van.

And follow into societies expectations and being suckered into having kids> No thanks.
    When many people hear about a man in a minivan they think kids. When many hear about a man in a regular van they think about that guy in Silence of the Lambs, (not the guy who liked fava beans).
  • Focker
    JeggHed said:
    Focker said:
    JeggHed said:

Thank you! What particular Truxedo covers are those? I read lots of reviews about Lo Pro QT.
    Both are the low pro qt.  5 stars.  Brushed 5" of snow off of it, dry in the box.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259

I have a Pace Edwards Switchblade (Retractable) on my F-150 ... love it very versatile.

https://paceedwardsdirect.com/shop-by-category/tonneau-covers/pace-edwards-switchblade-tonneau-cover.html

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• JeggHed
    Keep hearing and reading good comments with Switchblade either, looks worth the price.
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    JeggHed said:
    Keep hearing and reading good comments with Switchblade either, looks worth the price.
    Boy it sure killed about a foot off an already small CO bed.  Looks like it would be fine for hauling groceries. Lol

Nice thing about the Truxedo, it wastes zero space, and it's half the price.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Focker how do you like the Summit? 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I always had the Agricover Extang low on my trucks. Lasts for ever. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    RedSkip said:
    I love it.  That is the Titan.
    Put a Thirdhand bow holder and Thirdhand cinch straps on it.  Two great upgrades for any stand.  Also drilled a hole and used some tubing and great stuff to sound deaden it.  It would get a little klanky walkin the woods, only for the walks though.  Also added Woodland camo Molle straps, and kidney belt, makes the carrying much more tolerable with the added weight of my bag and water strapped in.  I would say its a good 60lbs loaded up.  Flipped it to carry cables up.

So comfortable.  I am notorious for a noon ciesta strapped in, my sits are before sunrise to sundown.  I put the fold down foot rest from Summit on it, another nice add on.  Feels safe and solid, and I'm a big guy at three hundo.

The harness it comes with is a PITA, but a HSS resolved that.  Screw a hook into the tree for my bag and quiver, and I'm sound as a pound baby.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Have had Extang on a couple of different trucks , good covers and good service when you need it !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • hondabbq
    Have had Extang on a couple of different trucks , good covers and good service when you need it !
    I had it and loved it until I needed replacement foams for the perimeter. for 6 pieces they wanted $46 CAD. the pieces weren't even a foot long end to end.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited March 2017
    I have a 6.7L King Ranch F-350 and went over budget on a retrax, I love it. Check them out. I also tow a 31' 5th wheel and all I need to do is press the button. Secure as can be. I love how it doesn't take up space like one that needs to be folded up or rolled up. 

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• calracefan
    hondabbq said:
    I had it and loved it until I needed replacement foams for the perimeter. for 6 pieces they wanted $46 CAD. the pieces weren't even a foot long end to end.

Wow, they sent me a tail gate strip free of charge ! Had to order a replacement tonneau after a hail storm , that wasn't cheap !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq said:

Wow, they sent me a tail gate strip free of charge ! Had to order a replacement tonneau after a hail storm , that wasn't cheap !
    My foam got stuck tot he side rails in melt/freeze conditions and I went to open the cover and they pulled right off. half on the rails and half still stuck to the cover. I should have looked but I didn't. I went 2 years with a bunch of them missing. Was still dry though except in a side rain. lol.
  • calracefan
    My Truck had to be searched going into worked each day, the tailgate foam got ripped off one frozen morning. Got the new one and never installed it ! Stuff stayed dry only a little dust got in there !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • JeggHed
    I have a 6.7L King Ranch F-350 and went over budget on a retrax, I love it. Check them out. I also tow a 31' 5th wheel and all I need to do is press the button. Secure as can be. I love how it doesn't take up space like one that needs to be folded up or rolled up. 
    Yeah, Retrax is a good option. Wifey likes the features new innovation and ease of use.
  • RedSkip
    Focker said:
    RedSkip said:
    Put a Thirdhand bow holder and Thirdhand cinch straps on it.  Two great upgrades for any stand.  Also drilled a hole and used some tubing and great stuff to sound deaden it.  It would get a little klanky walkin the woods, only for the walks though.  Also added Woodland camo Molle straps, and kidney belt, makes the carrying much more tolerable with the added weight of my bag and water strapped in.  I would say its a good 60lbs loaded up.  Flipped it to carry cables up.

So comfortable.  I am notorious for a noon ciesta strapped in, my sits are before sunrise to sundown.  I put the fold down foot rest from Summit on it, another nice add on.  Feels safe and solid, and I'm a big guy at three hundo.

The harness it comes with is a PITA, but a HSS resolved that.  Screw a hook into the tree for my bag and quiver, and I'm sound as a pound baby.  =)
    @Focker. I have the same response when I'm asked.  At 285 during hunting season, the larger footprint is very comfortable for a larger framed person.  Comfortable too, my best sleep is historically in the stand.

Do you use the HSS with the "permanent" tie off line? I do, find a tree I like and then leave my stand at the base ready to go.  With private land, mush easier than carrying it in everywhere...just stuck to that tree for the first sit.  

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    Those retrax aren't cheap!  Look great though...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Focker
    edited March 2017
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    RedSkip said:

@Focker. I have the same response when I'm asked.  At 285 during hunting season, the larger footprint is very comfortable for a larger framed person.  Comfortable too, my best sleep is historically in the stand.

Do you use the HSS with the "permanent" tie off line? I do, find a tree I like and then leave my stand at the base ready to go.  With private land, mush easier than carrying it in everywhere...just stuck to that tree for the first sit.  

I use the lineman strap that came with it.
    With the hospital 12s, I can hunt 3 consecutive days.  Leave my stand with the thirdhand straps at the base with a kryptonite lock, leave hook in the tree.

Skip, buy these straps, and his bowholder if you don't have one.  They can be used to tighten up the mated stand, bag, coat, seat etc before cinching KY cris-crossed...great multi-use product, that will keep the platform within reach if it falls off your boots, down the tree.
    https://youtu.be/2Qm9dUsICd4
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    I had the access lorado, great cover for the money and never had an issue with weather or stuff fitting. I had it for 3 years of harsh Indiana winters and parking outside. Sadly the truck met its eventual end and I sold the cover to a friend who is still using it.  The truck came with a hard cover I sold because it limits the bed usage a lot.  about an hour to install it and no drilling was the best part.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!