Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Official Egghead Weightloss Competition for 2017

Options

Comments

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Don't get discouraged by others weight loss total, use it as motivation that if they can do it so can you.  Also you don't know everyone's starting weight and physique, someones loss of 20lbs may not be realistic for you, its about percentage loss not lbs loss.  You guys are doing great, keep it up.  

Also if you want more motivation join a diet bet site and make some money while you are losing weight.  I just finished a 6 month transformer on dietbet.com, I bought in with $125 and came out with $280 and weighting over 10% less than when I started.  Its not much money but it was certainly motivating and realistically a good return on investment.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Keep up the good work guys and gals!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Just keeping the thread alive...

Just weighed in, and I'm down 12lbs in the last 10 days (that's when I started).  I sure wish the next couple of months would be this easy, but I'm sure it will be getting a lot harder moving forward.

Hope everyone's seeing progress.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm still in this thing, although progress is much slower than I'd hoped. 

Anyone else still going? @JacksDad ? @Cashfan ? @northGAcock ? @anyone?

Phoenix 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Hangin' in there but loss has been slow...
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I didn't get in on this contest, but the wife and I started a diet around January 10th.   I have lost 25 pounds and she is down 14.   I am big time missing the good porters and stouts I am normally enjoying at night.   I am going to treat myself to a weekend in Asheville soon and get my fill of good beer.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • blasting
    Options
    Bentgrass said:

@Bentgrass  you aren't just kidding - and the only thing worse than my eating habits is my lack of patience

MotownVol said:
    I didn't get in on this contest, but the wife and I started a diet around January 10th.   I have lost 25 pounds and she is down 14.   I am big time missing the good porters and stouts I am normally enjoying at night.   I am going to treat myself to a weekend in Asheville soon and get my fill of good beer.

@MotownVol  congrats man, that's some decent success right there.  You should have joined the contest (although since you are hammering me, I'm glad you didn't) 
    Phoenix 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I... kinda feel off the wagon, and into a big plate of pasta! But going back to a low carb/real food diet tomorrow! Or so I tell myself...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Bentgrass
    Options
    blasting said:
    Bentgrass said:

@Bentgrass  you aren't just kidding - and the only thing worse than my eating habits is my lack of patience

MotownVol said:

@MotownVol  congrats man, that's some decent success right there.  You should have joined the contest (although since you are hammering me, I'm glad you didn't) 
    Actually it was my week in Tennessee that set me back 6 pounds !  I discovered that at 62, the metabolism is not as conducive to weight loss as it used to be.  I have been busting my fat ass in the gym almost every day which has turned some of the lard into muscle I hope.  I have lost lots of inches, just not many pounds, but it's not over yet and my plan is to lose 70 or so.  It's a long term ordeal for me.  Nice job @MotownVol, you should be proud of the accomplishment so far.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I'm hanging in there. Haven't fell off too much, just a candy bar or slice of pizza here and there, and a rack of ribs this weekend. I've been egging a lot of chicken, and making fajitas on the new blackstone. 

I dont remember my exact start weight for this contest but, as of last Thursday, i'm down approximately 25lbs as far as the contest goes, and 38lbs overall, since December 20th. Might even get below 300 by the end of the month......

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    How is everyone doing???
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Made quite a few changes to my eating habits. Still working at it and in the game. I can recommend the best granola for snacks....lord no's I have tried them all. I have gotten into loose leaf tea lately. Replaces my coffee which I drank with a lot of cream and sweetener. All in all, have lost quite a bit but have quite a ways to go to meet my goal.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    Options

My abs remain safely hidden, but I've stuck with my plan and it's coming off slowly.  

Phoenix 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I'm not in the contest, but I have lost 28# since Christmas, 25# since Jan 1.

No bread, no sodas, no caffeine, very few sweets, smaller portions.

I read a lot of the posts in this thread...Great job folks !!!

....and some good food ideas !!

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Not in contest either, down 37 lbs since November . Good Luck to everyone !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • blasting
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    Haven't fell off too much, just a candy bar or slice of pizza here and there, and a rack of ribs this weekend...as of last Thursday, i'm down approximately 25lbs as far as the contest goes

@Cashfan

Clearly you have a better plan than I.  I haven't strayed once from my plan, let alone pizza or candy bars, yet you are absolutely crushing me in lbs lost.

Phoenix 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am fine down 10. I was doing great but have relapsed a bit.  Need to get back on the wagon.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Not in contest but down 19.5 since 1/23. 
  • Cashfan
    Options
    @blasting
    Thanks! I had a rough couple weeks now. One really, really bad meal a week. Killed some good momentum i had going. Trying to get back on track again. 

The weight loss has been a little stagnant for two weeks. Overall I am down a lot and feeling great, but I need to get back on track and keep going. I have a lot of weight to try to lose.

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @dldawes1 Good job man, sounds like low/no carb is doing you well.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    Not in contest, but down 19 since Jan. 1. Ten day vacation in Mexico set me back, but I'm back on the wagon. Gotta cut out more booze, especially the bourbon.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    My weekly weigh-in this morning was 283#. Finally broke the 285 plateau!!

Christmas - 313

310 - Jan 1.       283 - Mar 13. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• blasting
    Options

Just bumping, but did want to say thanks again to @fletcherfam for starting this.  

A contest has been a great way to kick start losing some lbs.  I haven't lost nearly what some have, but I'm feeling good.  I've got more energy, and I'm sleeping better.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Have stayed flat for 3 weeks now. Good news, no weight gain.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Final weigh in is a couple weeks away!! Keep it going!
  • blasting
    Options

I'm still 10lbs away from the goal I set for myself.  With just 13 days left, let's just say it's not looking like I'm gonna make it.  Haven't given up though.

Phoenix 
  • Cashfan
    Options
    Final weigh in 8 days!! Keep it going!! Some excellent prizes on the line!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm down -11 since Jan 1
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    Options
    Cashfan said:

@Cashfan. This thread has been very quiet.  I'm trying to decide if people just fell off the wagon and dropped out, or maybe folks are so competative they don't want to tip their hand how good their doing.  
    Phoenix 
  • Cashfan
    Options
    blasting said:
    Cashfan said:

@Cashfan. This thread has been very quiet.  I'm trying to decide if people just fell off the wagon and dropped out, or maybe folks are so competative they don't want to tip their hand how good their doing.  
    Hopefully they are being competitive!!

I have lost almost 48lbs since Dec 20th. I don't remember my start weight for the contest though, so I don't know how much I have lost for the contest. I have a lot of weight to lose, so it may not be much percentage wise. Feels good to be below 300 and have energy again.