Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis ribs

Options
magyar
magyar Posts: 19
OK, so here is the deal. Got 2 racks of St. Louis style ribs. Like them better than baby backs. More meat. One from Publix. The one from Publix was smaller, bones and meat. Pulled the silver skin, rubbed with mustard and rubbed with Guy Fieri's rub. Sit overnight, brought to room temp. Started the egg at 11 AM and burned off the VOC's. Put the racks on at noon, 250, hickory smoke, 2 hours without checking. Opened the lid and the ribs were done. Moist, tasty, with a little chew. We were not ready to eat so wrapped the ribs in foil, shut off the egg and let them go for an hour. Big mistake. They were still good, but not as good. The Publix were not as good as the Bi-Lo ribs. I see these guys cooking their ribs for 4 hours. Never again. Will pull when done and eat. Am I doing something wrong???

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Unless they were pre-cooked or rib tips, I can't imagine them being done after two hours at 250 degrees. Not sure what I can really say other than your method is different than mine. I am doing six racks of St. Louis today (in two rounds) at 250 and about to pull the first batch off shortly. I'm going 4-1-1 with the stages. I also never shut down the BGE with food still in there, even if it's wrapped in foil.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I'd double check your dome thermometer for accuracy

That really strange. I agree with StillH2OEgger. Were they precooked? St. Louies are 5-6 hours at 250 degrees 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    or did you grill them direct?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    yeah, No way. Something is off here. You would have been about 350+ to be done in two hours. Oh well, At least they were good.
  • Jvar87
    Jvar87 Posts: 31
    Options
    St. Louis cut is just the regular spare rib with the breast bone cut off. So cooking time should be the same as reg spare ribs. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Temp must have been higher sounds like turbo ribs to me - glad you liked them 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    When I do St Louis style at 250 it takes about 5-6 hours. You either had precooked ribs or your heat was much hotter than indicated.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I guess my dome temp gauge is not correct, so I probably "turbo cooked them at 350. I guess that "turbo" is a good way to go!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @magyar -  no need to guess about your dome thermo.  Give it a one point cal check in boiling water.  Should read around 212*F.  If not close then adjust out the off-set using the nut on the back and recheck.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Teefus said:
    When I do St Louis style at 250 it takes about 5-6 hours. You either had precooked ribs or your heat was much hotter than indicated.
    +1 Something's wrong.  Never had a full rack of St Louis ribs, (that's the only ribs I cook) done in 2 hours at dome temp at 250 - 280.  Check'em at 4 hr, 5-6 hour cook usually is what I count on.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I agree with above that you need to check your temp gauge.  How did you confirm that they were done? The bend test, tooth pick or temp gauge?

I like doing my spares 2-1-1.  Two hours or so at 225-250 with smoke, 1 hour wrapped in foil with, brown sugar, honey, squeeze butter and a little apple juice, then the last hour back out of the foil on to the grill to firm up and on the last 30 minutes a finishing sauce.

You need to upload pictures next time please.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.