Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to organize recipes?

Options

I've been keeping them on index cards in a small box. I figure there has to be a better way. I'd love to hear from y'all regarding what works best, i.e., three ring binders, notebooks, etc., etc.

Thanks!!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Brain. That's why every one of my cooks is a bit different!
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I recently converted everything to pdf. Either take a pic and convert or use a word processor or print to pdf when viewing online recipes. I stored them all on my computer and also onto dropbox, this way I have access to them with my phone wherever I am. (like the grocery store when an idea pops into my head or I think I forgot something to make a specificic recipe)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I still use recipe cards held in a metal box.  
    When I find a recipe I want to try on the 'net (like from here) I copy/paste it onto a word processor document, then title it so it automatically sorts alphabetically (for example: "Beef, Sezchuan with broccoli", or "Salad, Caprese") within Dropbox.  When I try one of those new recipes, I print it out to follow; if its a keeper I write it down on a recipe card and add it to my metal box.  Archaic, maybe, but it works for me.

I was gifted one of these recipe holder things:

I never would have paid $16 for such a thing myself, but I absolutely love it!  The magnet is strong enough to hold a recipe card, and the curvature is just right to hold upright an 8.5" x 11" recipe printout, a recipe on a magazine page, or even one clipped out from the newspaper.  A great doodad.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I use Microsoft OneNote.  I can save  recipes to OneNote (using the print command) directly from any website or document.  It is saved in the cloud and can be accessed from any pc or phone.  Works great for organization, and I try and include links to the original article...  I also use it for my family grocery shopping list.  The notebook is shared with my wife and daughters and they can view and update it on their phones...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @smbishop

Great minds!  That was exactly what I was going to suggest.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I either download from the net or type them in ms notepad.  Then they go into a folder called 'recipes'.  The folder has various categories in subfolders, and some of the subfolders have subfolders.  I have everything backed up on 3 zip drives, one of which is kept at a different location. It's been a long-time hobby and I have over 4,000 to date!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @YEMTrey Great minds indeed!  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Used to use Living Cookbook, but they have let me down in support. They do not reply to multiple emails. Ditched.

I have started using Recipe Keeper from Windows 10 store.

Easy, cut and paste, like it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm old school and like paper pages vs. index cards - not computer files! Over the years I have filled 2 plastic notebooks with recipes that we like and they are in page protectors. Should I make changes I write on the paper! BTW I keep these current and not just filled with "want to do some time recipes". These two notebooks have index dividers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have a Word file that I used to keep on my computer at work. Before I retired I emailed it home.  I do have a few copies printed out but they are almost always missing the most recent ones. A few of the simpler ones, I just memorize.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Evernote. Recipes are given descriptive titles so I can search for them, can be edited easily to reflect changes I want to make in the future, or as I get them dialled in. Can be accessed easily from my phone, tablet, or computer, and has proven very handy when cooking at somebody else's place. 

But they made some goofy changes, and I have considered migrating to OneNote. If I can ever figure it out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I use a food blog (see signature). Same principle as OneNote and allowing me to share recipes with other people ... anyone. WordPress is simple to use, the Lovecraft theme is a good one (mine uses this with some custom CSS).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I use Word on my Mac and under the generic Food file, have groups for BGE, Sous Vide, and Recipes (everything else). I try to keep the operative word first, like FLANK STEAK--THAI MARINADE (I just made that up).  I copy and edit recipes in my preferred format, size, and font, and add pertinent comments from replies, at the end. I intend to go back into Recipes and make sub-folders for groups like Indian, Soup, Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Italian, etc. I have a flash drive with 16Gig to save them to.

When I'm going to cook, I print out a copy on junk paper and take it into the kitchen with me.
    Judy in San Diego
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    I use Google Docs. I have seperate tabs, one for the low and slow, one for wok, one for pan seared, one for high heat, etc.

I have cook times, ITs, seasonings, and comments in each tab
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • GatoGordo
    Options
    I use Pepperplate (http://www.pepperplate.com/). I can access recipes from my PC and from my phone. This is helpful if I happen to be in the grocery store, see something on sale, and need to access the recipe to see what other ingredients I need. It also has a print option so I can make a paper copy to use while in the kitchen.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I keep recipes organized in google docs ( each recipe even has a pic).  I pull up the recipe on the big screen that faces the kitchen and follow along on that.  It works pretty slick.
    Phoenix 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I would love to give a shameless plug ;)  but hesitate to do so.  Not sure of the etiquette.  
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I use the Paprika app on my phone and iPad. The strength of this app is that it can automatically import almost any recipe you find on the Internet. Properly formatted, and usually with zero extra work.  That feature combined with the ability to arrange your recipes into whatever category you want, is what works for me.  I used to do the binder thing, but an app like this is way superior for my needs.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have been using recipe software for years now.  Currently using MacGourmet (Mac world).  I do have a couple of three ring binders with printed out copies of my favorite recipes.  So much easier to keep organized more useful than old index cards.  It does take some time and effort to convert if you are still all paper, but well worth it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Most of my saved recipes are in a plain .txt file. That is readable by anything that can handle words. I started gathering them from the net about 10 years ago. Currently, its around 1200 pages long if on paper. I have a programmer's text editor, and can just open the file and type in whatever term, say "beans" and come up with a listing of all 800 times it shows up in the file. My plan for the last few years is to buy an inexpensive tablet or used laptop that I can carry into the kitchen.

But it is well enough structured that I may eventually get around to turning it into a database.

I also have 50 - 60 old cookbooks downloaded from archive sites. Probably another 10000 pages.

But the search engine's are so efficient now, and there's so much stuff out there, I don't save off so much anymore.

I do have card files from my Mom and an Aunt. Also a few of my Mom's ring binders that are somewhat organized.
  • motsol
    motsol Posts: 28
    Options
    I use Evernote. I like how you can capture them via web or phone. Easy to search also. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    does anyone know how to pull the recipes out of the now defunkt LC database and migrate it to a new one? 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• shadowcaster
    Options
    The recipes that I have or have printed from the Internet are all in 3 ring binders. I also got tab dividers and separated them by category. This works well for storage and is easy to prop up the binder and use during cooking if need be. 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    kthacher said:
    I use the Paprika app on my phone and iPad. The strength of this app is that it can automatically import almost any recipe you find on the Internet. Properly formatted, and usually with zero extra work.  That feature combined with the ability to arrange your recipes into whatever category you want, is what works for me.  I used to do the binder thing, but an app like this is way superior for my needs.  
    I have been using recipe software for years now.  Currently using MacGourmet (Mac world).  I do have a couple of three ring binders with printed out copies of my favorite recipes.  So much easier to keep organized more useful than old index cards.  It does take some time and effort to convert if you are still all paper, but well worth it.
    I used to use MacGourmet and liked it, but got frustrated for some reason I no longer remember, and switched to Paprika, and I LOVE Paprika!  I agree with @kthacher that it's amazingly easy to import recipes from the Web, and a great thing about an app is that I have ALL of my recipes in my pocket anywhere I go!  (I have Paprika on my computer, my iPhone and my iPad.)  If I'm away from home, they're all still right there in my pocket.  It's great.  It can also convert your recipe into a grocery list, though I don't use that a lot.  Here's a screen shot showing how you can create any category you want, and the same recipe can be in as many of them as you like, so it's really easy:

And here's what a recipe looks like:

You can also search by name ("meat loaf," for example) if you haven't made a category for that already, and all of your meat loaf recipes come up (I just did a search, and because it's SO darn easy to import recipes, it turns out that I have 18 meat loaf recipes!!!

I really like it.  And I'm just a customer -- no kickback for this endorsement! :)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I keep them in word, old school.  You guys have much better solutions.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Theophan – great post re Paprika.  I am just a customer too.  This app has found a place in my iPad dock, since I use it so much.  I also agree with the power of having it synched on all devices.  I can be in a grocery store and can get instant access to any recipe in the collection.  Plus you can easily email any recipe to anyone who wants it.  Built in timers too.  

Can't say enough good things about the developer of this app.  The updates are frequent.  When I show people how easy it is to import a recipe from the web they are blown away.  The natural language processor inside this app is truly impressive.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I use emacs if I'm feeling lazy, vi if I want to feel like a real chef...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Theophan said:
    kthacher said:
    I used to use MacGourmet and liked it, but got frustrated for some reason I no longer remember, and switched to Paprika, and I LOVE Paprika!  I agree with @kthacher that it's amazingly easy to import recipes from the Web, and a great thing about an app is that I have ALL of my recipes in my pocket anywhere I go!  (I have Paprika on my computer, my iPhone and my iPad.)  If I'm away from home, they're all still right there in my pocket.  It's great.  It can also convert your recipe into a grocery list, though I don't use that a lot.  Here's a screen shot showing how you can create any category you want, and the same recipe can be in as many of them as you like, so it's really easy:

And here's what a recipe looks like:

You can also search by name ("meat loaf," for example) if you haven't made a category for that already, and all of your meat loaf recipes come up (I just did a search, and because it's SO darn easy to import recipes, it turns out that I have 18 meat loaf recipes!!!

I really like it.  And I'm just a customer -- no kickback for this endorsement! :)
    I think Paprika and MacGourmet are far more alike than different.  You may have been unhappy with the import feature of MacGourmet when you switched to Paprika.  They had a period when it didn't work too well - Still may be their weakest feature.  I don't import too many recipes anymore (have way too many already collected) so this isn't a big issue for me.  I have a lot of recipes already in MacGourmet and transferring to another software was a pain last time I seriously looked at switching (I originally used MasterCook on a windows system and have made the conversion once and don't want to make it again unless it is easy).  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Botch said:
    I still use recipe cards held in a metal box.  
    When I find a recipe I want to try on the 'net (like from here) I copy/paste it onto a word processor document, then title it so it automatically sorts alphabetically (for example: "Beef, Sezchuan with broccoli", or "Salad, Caprese") within Dropbox.  When I try one of those new recipes, I print it out to follow; if its a keeper I write it down on a recipe card and add it to my metal box.  Archaic, maybe, but it works for me.

I was gifted one of these recipe holder things:

I never would have paid $16 for such a thing myself, but I absolutely love it!  The magnet is strong enough to hold a recipe card, and the curvature is just right to hold upright an 8.5" x 11" recipe printout, a recipe on a magazine page, or even one clipped out from the newspaper.  A great doodad.  

You sure that's a recipe holder.....looks like something all together different.  :D

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i email them to myself in gmail with the subject being the recipe title.  then they are searchable and i can print them as many times as i like or easily email them when requested