Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I a fool?

Options
I bought a large bge back in April 2015. In the summer of 2016 I had to sell it. I support a family of 4 and we fell on really hard times. And I knew I could sell the egg because we needed money fast. So, I did. Long story short our finances greatly Improved. I purchased another large bge. The dealer gave me $100 off the egg and 10% off all accessories at the time of purchase. The egg was $699. So I bought all that I needed and paid just over $1,000 for the large bge, nest, plate setter, ash took, and cover. Am I a fool?  lol. 

I kept going back back and forth on the idea of getting the egg again because that's a lot of money to spend. But I loved cooking on it.  My other option was to purchase Weber smokey mountain, and a Weber kettle, plus the flame boss temp controller. I would have spent $800 on all of that and this new egg was $200 more. 

Comments

• bigbadben
    Options
    As long as things army in jeopardy cook on and have fun. 
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What happens when you fall on hard times again?

If you're going to sell the egg again, then yes, you are a fool.

If you have a backup plan (money in the bank, selling your kidney, I don't really care what the backup plan is), then go ahead and get a new egg.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you really loved it that much, then yes, get one. I think that you have already made your mind up by posting this topic, but you just need a little encouragement. Well, you have come to the right place my friend! Life is short. So I say enjoy what you're doing as long as your not hurting someone else.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    If you can afford it,  then no you are not a fool.  They are an expensive investment, but my first egg is 18 years old. If you amortize that out… It's a pretty good "investment".

And… If you fall on hard times again, the egg is actually a fairly liquid asset. More so than if you spent $1000 on a vacation for example. 

Fire it up and enjoy!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Go light a fire and don't look back. Enjoy. 
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Wish I had known your dealer when I bought 2 L's for our kids last fall. You got a great deal. And as many have said, don't look back. Enjoy it. Egg, kids,  what do kids go for these days????    Just kidding. I would probably get rid of some appliances before my eggs. Course that might mean wife too. I'll keep that in mind. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• mjk412
    mjk412 Posts: 113
    Options
    Haha. I'll put my kids to work.  
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    If you are happy with the purchase price that is all that matters !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Summer of 2016 was less than 8 months ago. If you turned your finances around in that amount of time then you did well. A little reward is deserved.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    If you're a fool, then you're surrounded by many fools, doing what we love to do! 
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Only you can answer this question. If you can afford it, and enjoy it, I think you should be a happy man or woman.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm in the no camp, not a fool, just an Egghead!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Actually cooking on the Egg can be cheaper than eating out unless you go crazy about what you cook. Chicken, pork loin, and even turkey are relatively cheap. You've just got to watch out on buying accessories. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Actually cooking on the Egg can be cheaper than eating out unless you go crazy about what you cook. Chicken, pork loin, and even turkey are relatively cheap. You've just got to watch out on buying accessories. 
    If you eat out often, egged food as you know is = to or better than  restaurant food and will long term save a ton of $$
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga