Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Ham Questions

Options
thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,357
Has anyone done one of these?  I have it in the store vacuum sealed bag right now, but it isn't very tightly wrapped.  There is some air in there.  Would it be ok to SV this way? 

Thanks for any advice.  It's an 8.4lb bone in

=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    Is it already cooked? Ready to serve? 

My my old unit just went to afghan today.

I cooked a few yard birds and drank a few high quality beer. Cash me ou'side. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Yes brother Strick,  It's fully cooked.

I'll have a few for your boys tonight as well.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Sv is not needed. If you want, sv at 110-130 till the meat is the same temp. 

If anything, I would smoke really low for an hour or two. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Thanks bro!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Glaze and smoke maybe. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    @Mickey would say do it nekkid
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Brisket from last night. 

• thetrim
    Options
    Holy hell.  Hope you didn't braise that baby!!!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Is it already cooked? Ready to serve? 

My my old unit just went to afghan today.

I cooked a few yard birds and drank a few high quality beer. Cash me ou'side. 
    Where the hell are you? TX or FL or ??
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    Options
    Mickey said:
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine. 

I knew this was coming!  Haha
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Said to hell w the SV and went heavy on the apple and pecan wood.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95