Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Filets

Options
Hey eggers,

How salmon filets can I fit in an XL with adjustable rig?  Off CGS site says 6.  I've done that last time and I believe I have more room to spare.  I'm trying to maximize the space next week or two.  I'm thinking 12?  3 each rack (top and mid) and the bottom with 6?  Will freeze some for salad and misc.  And some to the party in couple weeks. 

Will be hot smoking around 160's with alder. 

Thanks y'all...
X-Large & Large
Frederick County, MD

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,327
    Options
    Looks good!  Love smoked salmon.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks.   Still struggling with albumin.  Some of the filets are perfectly free of it but the next filet is not.  I notice it's more in the back of egg that tends to cause it.  I'll need to rotate half way I think. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,327
    Options
    dfrelich said:
    Thanks.   Still struggling with albumin.  Some of the filets are perfectly free of it but the next filet is not.  I notice it's more in the back of egg that tends to cause it.  I'll need to rotate half way I think. 
    In general the back of the egg (near hinges) runs the hottest.  Probably just hot enough to make the fat leak out.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • dfrelich
    Options
    2 out of 10 filets with more albumin than I like.  So can't complain. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook brother.  Looks like a lot of delicious salmon.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,744
    Options
    Those are some great looking filets!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,449
    Options
    Please pack those in dry ice and send them on over to me!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Wow! That's the biggest salmon cook I think I've ever seen on here. Great job! 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    An Egg loaded up with salmon.......my version of heaven.  :)

Well done! 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • dfrelich
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    Wow! That's the biggest salmon cook I think I've ever seen on here. Great job! 
    An Egg loaded up with salmon.......my version of heaven.  :)

Well done! 

It was just for a personal challenge. Like how many butt can I fit in?

Actually, I wanted to know so I can sort out for next time.  Example - My daughter is graduating come June.  I've been asked to make smoked salmon.

Anyway, one thought I've had last few days.  I need to rethink about the bottom tier.  Had difficulty doing the glaze during the cook.  I had to move entire rig to glaze over with maple syrup.  I should find smaller rack to fit underneath. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD