Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef Brisket vs Brisket

Options
I purchased this corned beef brisket by accident the other day.  What's the difference in this and a standard brisket?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• SirSquatch
    Options
    It's been seasoned and cured vs nothing done to a regular flat.

You could turn it into pastrami. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Corned beef has a completely different taste. It has been cured and it takes on the pink flavor and tastes like a salty lunch meat. It is good, but turns into something completely different.  Don't think "bbq"...think "deli". 

As mentioned Pastrami is corned beef that has been smoked.  Here is one recipe to make pastrami:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

It is a bit complicated and includes steps to make your own corned beef.  The highlights for a store-bought corned beef are:
    1) Soak it in water for a day or so to remove some of the saltiness. Change the water a couple of times. 
    2) Rub it (see recipe)
    3) Smoke it to 150-160 IT.
    4) Finish it in steam

Once you are done, make Reuben sammiches.  
    Full disclosure- you can just follow the directions on the package to cook the corned beef inside; and then make reubens and they will be almost as good with far less work...but where is the fun in that?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup, time for Ruebens.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Rubens it is!  Pretty d@#n excited about serving these tonight.  This will be a first for me.  I hope it turns out as planned.  You guys are the best!
  • HellrodKC
    Options
    reload said:
    Rubens it is!  Pretty d@#n excited about serving these tonight.  This will be a first for me.  I hope it turns out as planned.  You guys are the best!
    If you are planning to cook that on the egg, you will need to soak in fresh water, changing the water every few hours, or it is going to horribly salty. Those are corned with enough salt so that people will boil them (like corned beef and cabbage). 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    ^+1.  Traditional technique for corned beef is to simmer in assorted pickling spices with onion etc. for several hours and then cool before slicing.
  • rekameohs
    Options
    It's been seasoned and cured vs nothing done to a regular flat.

If you want to take regular brisket and make corned beef, here is a recent episode of ATK that does that.
    https://www.americastestkitchen.com/videos/3411-home-corned-beef-with-vegetables

Raleigh, NC
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    you can soak it in water a few days to get the salt out and make it into a pastrami.  works well and faster than brining them a whole brisket for 3 weeks

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• reload
    Options
    Well folks, we might be eating a salt sandwich this evening.   I rinsed of the brisken and put on the egg at 250 indirect. Think it will be ok, or should I just pick up several steaks?
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    It might be a touch salty but it's on now. Slice off an edge piece and try it before you go buy steaks is what I would do. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • reload
    Options
    Finished product. 
  • reload
    Options
    Salty, to say the least......now, if you'll excuse me while I snort several blood pressure pills to get my bp under control!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    corned beef needs to be desalinated before smoking.  Even salt lovers will find it too salty if not soaked for a while.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

all may not be lost - I believe I would try some sort of Reuben sandwich attack on this.  It looks moist and might work out well.  Maybe even a pastrami sandwich with mustard....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @reload,

I made the same mistake the first time I tried to smoke a corned beef brisket....the salt level was off the charts.  :o

I desalinated my next one for a couple days in the fridge and made pastrami. It turned out great. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SmokeySailor
    Options

Wished I had read this before this weekend.  Although only the surface of the meat was salty.  I also started with a 4.5 lb point cut and ended up with 1.15 lbs.  So that sale of $3.99/lb ended up working out to about $15/lb, more than beef tenderloin :D  Granted, being a point cut a lot of that lost weight is fat but what brine is given up during the cooking process evaporates and leaves the salt on the surface of the meat.  The soaking process establishes a difference in mineral content between the brine within the meat and the water it's soaking in, thereby drawing out the salt by osmosis.  That's why you have to regularly change out the water because once the salt content of the meat and the water equalize no more will be drawn out.  The reverse concept holds true for the process of brining, the movement of salts from high concentration to low concentration.

Whale's Vagina, CA
    XL BGE - AR Rig Combo - Bunch of other things I don't know how to use...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I picked up a 16 lb. whole packer corned beef brisket at RD for St. Patty's day. Going to start the desalinating now and smoke it Friday all day using the rub from Amazing Rib site. I will post pics. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I picked up a 16 lb. whole packer corned beef brisket at RD for St. Patty's day. Going to start the desalinating now and smoke it Friday all day using the rub from Amazing Rib site. I will post pics. 
    Some time try pickling it yourself Jim (easy and fun).  Not that i would know how or have ever done that, Nichole has. ;)
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    Some time try pickling it yourself Jim (easy and fun).  Not that i would know how or have ever done that, Nichole has. ;)
    I am sure she has...I do have pink salt! 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    No pink salt necessary brother.  Here's my old post using Ruhlman's.  If you like the stuff you should try it.  Nichole can answer any questions. ;)

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200109/boiled-brisket-corned-beef-ot/p1
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    No pink salt necessary brother.  Here's my old post using Ruhlman's.  If you like the stuff you should try it.  Nichole can answer any questions. ;)

That looks easy enough, thanks Buddy!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:
    bgebrent said:
    JRWhitee said:

That looks easy enough, thanks Buddy!
    Hell, If Nichole could talk me through it, you know its easy ;)  And its a winner I assure you.