Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you insert your temp probes?

Options
New to the BGE here, but not new to BBQ.   I'm just curious how everyone is inserting their temp probes.   It would seem putting them through the lid opening would be a bad idea as it breaks the seal.  Do you go through the daisy wheel?   Also, do most people replace the factory temp gauge?    

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Through the lid and over a leg of the plate setter. Add foil underneath if it makes you feel better. 
    Just like that.  :)

The felt will conform around the probe wire.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I use my hand. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • slydog75
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    I use my hand. 
    That's what she said...
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    And it's only Wednesday....... ;)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Was scared to open this one.  Pete (@pgprescott) gave the right answer.  Wrap the wire in foil.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Breaks the seal...

Jacksonville FL
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Hahaha. I've been drinking after work. I live a stressful life!!

If I feel the need to use a probe I do gasket level and use foil and make sure it's over a leg of the platsettet for heat deflection. 

Has worked for years. 

-FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Gotta love it......

A new guy comes here with an earnest question, and he gets the clown brigade to welcome him here with open arms... a solid juvenile response.

What a great way of bringing someone into the fold and helping him out. :|  
  • Dobie
    Options
    Gotta love it......

A new guy comes here with an earnest question, and he gets the clown brigade to welcome him here with open arms... a solid juvenile response.

Slippery slope, let it slide and next they will be asking if you can boil water on the egg...
    Jacksonville FL
  • bgebrent
    Options
    No you didn't!
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Gotta love it......

Slippery slope, let it slide and next they will be asking if you can boil water on the egg...
    Really?

Have some of us become so jaded and snobbish that we will not lower ourselves to answer a rookie's earnest question? Do you revel in your Egg superiority to the point of arrogance?

slydog75 has 2 posts...good chance he's a beginner based on that and his question. Our response? Let's roll out the sarcasm and have fun at his expense.

It brings shame on the entire BGE community when these juvenile replies are posted.

I guess those that posted that were BGE experts as soon as they bought their first one and didn't need to ask questions? 

Not a good way to help a new guy out at all.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Well, now-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. Can be a tough crowd.
    Above all, have fun.
    And ask away-someone will always answer your questions and you will likely find a couple (or more) options.  With the BGE all will work.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Would expect that on a Friday but it's early in the week to lead a newby astray..... although I might add that most pics I see are with bent probes, mine are all straight and with the cost, am afraid to put a bend in them.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Well, now-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. Can be a tough crowd.
    Above all, have fun.
    And ask away-someone will always answer your questions and you will likely find a couple (or more) options.  With the BGE all will work.

Lou, you are a voice of reason here and I'm glad you're here.

I don't normally get riled up here, but attacking rookies does it for me.......there's no reason to do it. 

I lurked here for a while before I purchased my first BGE. I asked questions after I did, and got great responses.......a very positive intro into BGE ownership.

Lately, it seems that this sort of support is no longer the norm, and that's a true shame. 
  • Dobie
    Options
    slydog75 said:
    No problem guys, I'm no newbie to the internet!  I can take a ribbing.   So, sounds like the consensus is that the little gap formed by the probe wire isn't a big deal.  

Of course, now I have to see if I can figure out if you CAN boil water on the egg... 
    BOOM... welcome you will fit right in here.  B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Between dome and base 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Dont go through the daisy wheel. You'll burn up your wires. I actually bought a roll of cable shield from autoparts store and run mine through it. Its flat and protects the cables even if you dont run it over the platesetter leg. Dome still seals just fine. 

Little Rock, AR

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    slydog75 said:
    No problem guys, I'm no newbie to the internet!  I can take a ribbing.   So, sounds like the consensus is that the little gap formed by the probe wire isn't a big deal.  

Of course, now I have to see if I can figure out if you CAN boil water on the egg... 

Hey @slydog75   welcome.  If you have a probe with a heavy duty (thick) cable, combined with a stock gasket you can get some smoke leak.  Thinner probes are no problem, and the thicker ones are usually fine as well once you replace the flimsy stock gasket.  When you need  a new gasket, just seek out @RRP and he'll hook you up with a great gasket for low $.
    Phoenix 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have never concerned myself with over the platesetter or not.  One of the probes got flaky early on, the other has lasted for years with no issue.  I take care to clean them and try not to stretch or kink them.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    blasting said:
    slydog75 said:

Hey @slydog75   welcome.  If you have a probe with a heavy duty (thick) cable, combined with a stock gasket you can get some smoke leak.  Thinner probes are no problem, and the thicker ones are usually fine as well once you replace the flimsy stock gasket.  When you need  a new gasket, just seek out @RRP and he'll hook you up with a great gasket for low $.
    and I wouldn't worry about a little smoke leak. No leak is best of course but a little smoke leak isn't the end of the world. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Damnit. I had a real funny response and y'all made me feel bad about posting it. Welcome newbie. Foil and over the platesetter leg. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Damnit. I had a real funny response and y'all made me feel bad about posting it. 

that's a little like telling your wife you had thought about buying her flowers...

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I prefer to go through the top and clip onto the dome therm.  No wires to fiddle around with or get in the way.  
    At low and slow temps, my Maverick ET-73, Digi QII, FB200, and Thermoworks Chef Alarm, have all worked fine using this route. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• FATC1TY
    Options
    Gotta love it......

Sorry I don't work for BGE. I'd actually answer my emails and phones, and suspect if you have 1k for a grill you can figure it out without a red carpet handshake. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    slydog75 said:

it's isn't a big deal. As your gasket gets hard it could be but if you keep it in the same spot historically I haven't ever found it as an issue myself. 

Just keep the flames away as the golden rule 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bgebrent
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Gotta love it......

Sorry I don't work for BGE. I'd actually answer my emails and phones, and suspect if you have 1k for a grill you can figure it out without a red carpet handshake. 
    Please tell me you're not raising children. ;)
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Damnit. I had a real funny response and y'all made me feel bad about posting it. Welcome newbie. Foil and over the platesetter leg. 
    Don't let the dude with his armor on his horse keep you down. He will make it just like the OP who apparently has a better sense of humor. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Wandering1
    Options
    I've been running the pit probe of my flame boss through my smokeware chimney cap, clipped to the bge temp gauge and the meat probe straight through the lid. Anyone for a better solution or reason this isn't a good setup?