Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the Forum - DigiQ question

Options
Hello all! I have been cooking on a Saszco Kamado for 15 years, retrofitted with all BGE innards. Yesterday bought a large BGE but have not cranked it up yet. I bought a DigiQ because I thought it would be awesome for long smokes. Two questions: I placed the DigiQ air intake piece into the damper, and it appears that the blower will be aimed at the side of the pit vs. directly into it, is this OK? Second, where do you all run the probe wires? On my Saszco, I would just run my meat and pit temp probes down through my daisy wheel. I appreciate any input, and am looking forward to my new EGG!!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I know nothing of the DigiQ. 
    Welcome and please post pics of your saszco!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Sorry, I misspelled the name of the kamado, it's Sazco, made in the 50's and 60's in California. Precursor to the BGE.

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Should like like image below?
    Air should blow into the BGE matching the cut out in the Fire Box so air travels into the Fire Box. Image below is not mine, just pulled from Google.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I just run my wires between the dome and base and shut the lid.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• kweitz
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the input!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Should like like image below?
    Air should blow into the BGE matching the cut out in the Fire Box so air travels into the Fire Box. Image below is not mine, just pulled from Google.

I have a DigiQ2 and that's how it's done.  I feed the wires between the dome & base.  Try to avoid direct heat on the wires.  I loosely wrap the wires with foil for better heat protection.  If your egg is not under a roof, then you will have to protect the DigiQ from precipitation.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Wires for probe can come off the side of the bge no problem...you will really love this set it and forget it capability for long cooks
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I just run my wires between the dome and base and shut the lid.
    That's what I have always done with my Mavericks and the FlameBoss. Try to protect them from direct heat by running them above one of the PlateSetter legs.

On the BB I did last week I had 4 wires running into the Egg. No problems with the seal. But if a little smoke escapes it isn't the end of the world.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Here's an inexpensive way of protecting the fan from rain ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• kweitz
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to post this last year!  She's found a new home now that I have the BGE, but there sure was a lot of good grub that came off of this. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    @kweitz you are a day late and $3 short....ya shoulda bought a Smobot.  I had a DigiQ I would have given you.  Good luck with you new egg and DigiQ.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • kweitz
    Options
    @RajunCajun - This post was originally from Feb 2017. I bought the DigiQ, used it 3 times (it worked well) then I bought SMOBOT 2 months ago and am not looking back!!!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    @kweitz - got it, understand what you mean about not looking back.  The Smobot is impressive and no fan and fan damper to worry about.  Egg on!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.