Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar and concrete table almost done

Options
2»

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Very nice!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic. Great craftsmanship. If I ever need another table I plan for concrete. 

XLBGE 
  • GT_Egg
    GT_Egg Posts: 22
    Options
    Your cedar and concrete cooking table looks really great - well done!
    I viewed your post while doing some research for the outdoor kitchen that I intend to get started on in a month or two's time.  I was curious about having a poured concrete work surface and having seen how good yours looks my mind is made up.  My question is: can I set the BGE so that it fits exactly into the concrete or does this run the risk of breaking the Egg when it heats up and expands?  I've noticed that most fitted worktops have a narrow space between the edge of the BGE and the worktop.  Is this a necessity to stop the Egg cracking?  If so, how much space should I give between the BGE and the worktop?  I would like to have the "fitted kitchen finish" with the BGE flush to the counter but of course not if it ends up breaking my BGE. 
    thanks for any advice or recommendations people can share.  
    Concrete can certainly withstand heat better than a wood top and thus have a smaller gap around the egg. I'm no expert, but I don't think I would pour the top right up to the egg. I think you need some kind of air gap around the egg. The other advantage of having a gap around the egg is that it gives you some leeway in your measurements. With no gap around the egg, you need to be exact with your measurements. Otherwise you run the risk of the egg not fitting. Just my $0.02. Good luck!
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • GT_Egg
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing! I'm definitely jealous! I bet that concrete top was heavy.
    Very heavy. So much so, that I didn't even bother with using any adhesive or caulk to secure the top to the base. It's not going anywhere.
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • GT_Egg
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I need to post some pictures of it now that the doors and all the hardware are installed. I'll try to do it later today.
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    really nice looking table
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • jrgill1
    Options
    These two might be twins....  cedar with a concrete top.
  • GT_Egg
    Options
    jrgill1 said:
    These two might be twins....  cedar with a concrete top.
    No kidding. Nicely done. 
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • GT_Egg
    Options
    Here are a couple pictures now that the doors are on and the cedar is sealed. 
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Awesome table. A concrete top has been on my wish list for a couple years, I just haven't had the time to do anything about it. Great job.

Do you mind giving a detail or maybe a picture of how the casters are attached? They are not just screwed into end grain are they? What is their weight rating?

My only fear would be the amount of weight on them between the egg and the top. How much do you think the top weighs?
  • GT_Egg
    Options
    Awesome table. A concrete top has been on my wish list for a couple years, I just haven't had the time to do anything about it. Great job.

Do you mind giving a detail or maybe a picture of how the casters are attached? They are not just screwed into end grain are they? What is their weight rating?

My only fear would be the amount of weight on them between the egg and the top. How much do you think the top weighs?
    They are screwed into the bottom of the legs. I don't remember the exact rating but they are heavy duty locking casters each rated at somewhere between 200 - 300 pounds. The top is probably 200 pounds or so if I had to guess.
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Great table.   I love the slide out storage.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • JPZATL82
    JPZATL82 Posts: 3
    Options
    Amazing table! Using this as a template to make my table... quick question for you

What is the depth of your of the table? Not the concrete top, but the frame itself

• GT_Egg
    Options
    JPZATL82 said:
    Amazing table! Using this as a template to make my table... quick question for you

What is the depth of your of the table? Not the concrete top, but the frame itself

The frame is 27" deep and the top is 30" deep, so I have about 1.5" overhang all the way around.
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • phi482
    phi482 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd love to hear what lumber you used for the doors and drawer fronts.  I am down to this part of my build.  I am looking to rip some cedar decking that is an inch thick to make the stiles and rails but not sure what to use for the center panel.

This is an awesome build and my finished product will look very similar.  If you are ever in Louisville for an ACC game I'll buy you a bourbon!
  • 4littleeggs
    4littleeggs Posts: 86
    Options
    Very nice
    It's the cow that drives the meat!!

XL Egg, Mini Max, Mini,  17" Blackstone 
    Wi
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Amazing, Just amazing.  Someday I hope to have on made or possible make one my self.  
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• reddog90
    reddog90 Posts: 3
    Options
    Looks amazing. Is that cedar for the cabinet fronts?
  • GT_Egg
    Options
    Sorry guys, I'm just getting around to seeing these posts. Yes, all of the lumber for the cabinet fronts and drawer is cedar.
    Roswell, GA

Large BGE
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited December 2022
    Options

I’m looking to build a gazebo on a concrete slab, and have what is probably a very basic question but I’m getting conflicting answers. Here’s the setup: Gazebo built on a slab. Bottom of post and floor plates will obviously have lot’s of moisture exposure from rain and snow. Can I use cedar for the floor plate or does it have to be pressure treated wood? This assumes a slope in the slab of 1/8″ per foot.

It’ll be in Maryland, not in a desert. Thoughts? #concrete polishing fort myers

Thanks for any help,

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited December 2022
    Options

And of course a GT bottle opener

“How bout them dawgs?”

Nice table and top.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • 727web
    Options
    Awesome table! Love the concrete top! Where did you find the specs to build the table? I would love to build one for myself.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 365
    Options
    Very nice - and the bottle opener is just fine.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW . . . way beyond my skill set and energy level . . . good job!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap