Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOKED CHILI! Finally a technique that yields BGE flavors in my bowl.

Options
2»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    herbu said:
    Looks great!  I simply make hamburger patties and cook them like hamburgers.  Then crumble them into the pot.  Same w/ sausage and bacon.
    That sounds much simpler!  But probably yields similar results.

I would think the giant meat loaf sits up there longer and can absorb more smoke, but heck...hamburgers over chili, brilliant!
    There's an interesting puzzle here.
    [geek:] A large single meatball will absorb more smoke over time because it takes longer to cook, but a bunch of hamburgers will have a much higher surface-to-volume ratio, allowing them to collect smoke over a larger total area.  Plus, its been said that most smoke is collected by meat at the start of a cook, when the cold meat causes more condensation.  
    Which one collects the most/best smoke flavor?  I dunno.  But, a dozen burgers will probably cook much quicker than a single Godzilla-meatball, so there's that.  [/geek]

Rather than play with the math, maybe I'll just schedule two chili weekends and do a taste test between them.     

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    @Botch I think you're on to something there.  Good point.

I also like the @Ladeback69 was able to cut the time more than in half and still get good results.

Fun stuff!  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Looks great.  I hope to give this technique a try using the Cow Lick Chili ingredient list.
    Edina, MN

• grillman14
    Options

Worlds Greatest AND EASIEST Big Green Egg Chili Recipe

1 Can Red Kidney Beans

1 Can Chili Ready beans with sauce (heat depending)

1 Can Diced tomatoes w Onion & Garlic

1 Can Stewed Tomatoes (or stay with diced and more veggies)

1 Tomato paste (small can)

3 Lbs Ground beef (90-10 preferably) Drain grease…

½ bottle Big Green Egg Vidalia Onion Sriracha sauce THIS IS A MUST HAVE!!

Big Green Egg Viva Caliente or Chili powder (sprinkle in to taste)

Set up BGE direct at 400 and use your Dutch oven to brown the beef, once it is good and brown remove from fire. Add all ingredients in the oven and remove grid and add 3 BIG handfuls of Jack Daniels chips (½ Bag…) directly to fire, replace grid and add the oven,( DO NOT PUT THE LID ON THE OVEN!! ) close the dome and shut your top daisy wheel to keep all the smoke in the dome. Do not open lid for at least 15 min., stir occasionally and bring to a boil….. ENJOY!! 

This recipe usually I can do in 30-45 minutes tops...

Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • Txnfireman
    Options
    As a new member and first time poster here this thread has really caught my eye. I think some variation of this will be on the menu for me Sunday. 
  • deadlyfrog
    Options
    @KiterTodd Thanks for sharing the pics and recipe. Looks awesome and with a new twist. Going to give a try for Super Bowl!
  • grillman14
    Options
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    Gotta try it. Going with smaller giant meatballs 
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    @KiterTodd Thanks for sharing the pics and recipe. Looks awesome and with a new twist. Going to give a try for Super Bowl!
    @deadlyfrog how did it turn out?

What about yours @grillman14 and @kingsmoke ??

Ahhh....fresh cooked meat stuff on the grill.  I just put on a shoulder myself and was curious how your chilis turned out.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • grillman14
    Options
    KiterTodd
    I use this recipe all the time and it stop people in their tracks, It is so simple and easy to do... I have won chili contests with this...I have also done a NO bean chili and just used tomatoes and it is still OUTSTANDING ... The BGE Sauce is the secret ingredient!!
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    turned out really good . great meat flavor . struggled a bit to skim the meat fat off the the top of the chili tho . very good anyways .  I will make it again . Made bbq pulled pork chili this weekend . started out with 10# pork butt  , turbo style . Added it to the rest of the ingredients after I pulled it . think that turned out even better.
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • KiterTodd
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kingsmoke said:
    turned out really good . great meat flavor . struggled a bit to skim the meat fat off the the top of the chili tho . very good anyways .  I will make it again ...
    I brought the pot inside at the end of the cook. Did not have it on heat.
    I used a shallow metal serving spoon that I'd dip in the pot, level, to get the fat off.  Works very well.  If you don't have a good technique just spoon it all in a gravy separator, let it settle, and poor the good stuff back in the pot.

Glad it was good all the same, and that pork butt chili...must have been outstanding!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • grillman14
    Options
    kingsmoke... use a strainer after the beef is browned and before you add the other ingredients...  pour into the tomatoe cans....very easy and more efficient.. :)
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    Got second place with this chili!  Didn't follow a specific recipe.  Also, forgot to take more pics.  Turned out great though and pretty easy to make.
    Jacksonville, Florida - Large BGE & Large Yellow Lab...Just the three of us!
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Got second place with this chili!  Didn't follow a specific recipe.  Also, forgot to take more pics.  Turned out great though and pretty easy to make.
    Nice butt cheeks!  :lol:;)

Congrats on placing.  Well done.  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Carlyn2828
    Options
    Lol! @KiterTodd  Thanks!
    Jacksonville, Florida - Large BGE & Large Yellow Lab...Just the three of us!
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I'm looking to do something similar this weekend. The only variable that we're going to change on the method is set up a drip pan below the meat.
    Pratt, KS
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    I'm looking to do something similar this weekend. The only variable that we're going to change on the method is set up a drip pan below the meat.
    I thought about doing that, but I like getting some of the flavor from the fat of the meat as it cooks. I guess you could add some in when you put the meat in the chili.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    Nahhhhh, what's the point of that?  You might as well just cook the pot on the stove then and smoke the meatball seperate.   The whole point is not only does the meatball smoke, all the juice drips in the chili!!!  No waste. :plus_one:  Plus it just looks absolutely ridiculous which adds to the fun factor.  :)

Yes, yes...in addition to juice, that fat drips in there.  I actually didn't notice much fat though, until after I had broken up all the meat and placed it back in the pot, and let it cook another hour.  If you don't like it, though, it's easy to skim off. It was a non-issue, really.  As soon as you bring the pot in the house and it stops simmering, all the fat rises to the top and you can remove it.

That's what I did.  I know many of the folks on the forum will just mix it in and call it flavor!  I've seen more than a few cooking shows where they don't even poor the fat off when they brown the meat using the normal stovetop method.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Oh wow that looks fantastic....
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Gave it a run last weekend using the cow lick recipe.  Turned out great. w
    Edina, MN

• Smokin_Dave
    Options
    This concept seems perfect for a chili-egghead like me.  I have one small suggestion to enhance the flavor of the spices prior to adding to the meatball.  Saute the spices in small amount of oil to "bloom" them.  This trick has been used by Indian and other cooks for thousands of years because the raw spices can't quite hit their stride when cooked only at the lower temps inside the ball.  I'm definitely trying this and the blooming idea to make my next chili.  And I also love the chorizo addition.  I always like to use that.  For others not familiar with chorizo, do not use the Spanish cooked chorizo.  This is the uncooked Mexican style and is like a loose, raw, spiced up sausage, not like a pepperoni stick.  Spanish chorizo is a very different thing and more common in my area that the raw Mexican type.  Low and slow with boneless, trimmed pork ribs adds a nice texture too in place of hamburger as an option.  I love me a new way to make chili!
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings- This recipe had gotten lost in my bookmarks, but this week I was tasked with making chili and recovered it much to everyone’s (well, me and SWMBO) delight. I scaled the volume back a little since it was just the two and used Guerra’s seasoning rather than making my own. http://www.guerras.com/  

Pic of monster meatball.

Back on the egg for about 45 min. Used some cherry chunks for fun, here it is after breaking up the meatball.

Just delicious. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Holidays!

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    @KiterTodd where'd you go? Making a version of this tonight 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Yeah, you can't beat the giant meatball chili recipe, it's great. Just need to ensure you have enough chili sauce for all that meat, otherwise it becomes way too thick ... which is exactly the minor mistake I made with the last cook. So next time, I've got the meat to chili ratio down packed (I'll double the amount of chili sauce for the same amount of meat).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Made a prime brisket yesterday.  Took the trimmings from that brisket and ran them through the grinder to make the giant meatball.  Smoked at 275 over the rest of the chili until IT was 150.  Broke the meatball up and added to the chili.  Also took about a half pound of leftover brisket and chopped that up to add to the chili. This was an excellent cook accompanied by sourdough focaccia.  

Mankato, MN - LBGE