Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creamy tomato basil soup with grilled cheese

Options
Under 20 degrees in here in Greenville TX. It's gonna be 13 in the morning.calls for some kinda soup.  First time I've made this recipe. I will be making it again. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/best-tomato-soup-ever.html

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nice. We had stew and fresh sourdough in Coleman. It's that kind of weather. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Man I was gonna do a corn and crab bisque tomorrow. 

You may have changed my mind. Did you follow the same recipe?  (If you gave it 5 stars and said it was amazing but I changed all the ingredients and cook time I don't think we can be friends)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit I didn't have the sherry. I did add garlic and red pepper flake. I put mine in the blender for a few seconds. Couldn't find my immersion blender. topped with a little parm. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I could get behind that . A lot.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I did that last weekend. It is good. Mine didn't look as good as yours though :)
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Comfort food at its finest wig, looks great.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @texaswig Every time I say I have sherry and it's either an empty bottle or skunked. I'm not entirely sure it has ever made it in a pot in this house. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

I'll try this deal if I can stay away from the beer long enough to make it....it looks fantastic.....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks!  Saved the recipe, already have a pot of beans and ham on today...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yep, brings me back to cold winter days as a child and making this meal with my late mother. Thanks and enjoy. 
  • texaswig
    Options
    @pgprescott same here. Im still lucky enough to still have my mom around. But haven't had tomato soup and grilled in years. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pasoegg
    Options
    Tried this deal today....that's right up there with those white table cloth places!  it is really good....thanks for sharing

Winston-Salem, NC

• EggObsessed
    Options
    I've been making that recipe for a couple of years now.  The sherry truly makes it special.  This is the soup that I brought to the gathering after the Eggfest in Jefferson this past year.  I put mine in the blender, but be sure to vent it or the blender top with blow off!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • pasoegg
    Options
    I've been making that recipe for a couple of years now.  The sherry truly makes it special.  This is the soup that I brought to the gathering after the Eggfest in Jefferson this past year.  I put mine in the blender, but be sure to vent it or the blender top with blow off!
    time for the dumb question...what type of sherry as this is not something I usually keep in the kitchen???

Winston-Salem, NC

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @pasoegg:  Make sure to get DRY sherry, not sweet.  It should say this on the label.  You can buy sherry anywhere you buy wine.  It will usually be in the "fortified wine" section, near the Port wine.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • texaswig
    Options
    @pasoegg I'm glad you liked it. @EggObsessed I'll make it with the sherry next time. I also blended. Left it just a little bit of chunk. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    I made that soup for the first time, about a week ago.  It was delicious!
    Anyone know if it freezes well??  It makes a lot.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If this is the recipe for the soup you made, then it's outstanding!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @BBQBuddy:  Yes, it freezes very well.  I just had some today that I had frozen last month.  To me, it didn't lose any quality from freezing it.
    Kelley