Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

uuniguration

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,458
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
Got my new toy uuni 2s pizza oven last week, impressed with how well each piece was carefully wrapped, everything fits well with tight tolerance.

Did a successful dry run in the garage two days ago, was able to hold stone temp at 700, 800, 900.  It was a stupid idea because the hot chimney exhaust could have ignited the garage rafters, although I was watching it like a hawk.

Cooked first batch of pies in below freezing condition yesterday with dough that was cold proofed for two days. Instead of using the thin stock stone, I decided to use a diy 1/4" baking steel which happens to fit exactly. There's definitely a learning curve, unlike the dry run a day earlier, I made the mistake of filling up the hopper with pellets prematurely, before the starter pellets in the tray below was sufficiently lit, big struggle to get oven up to cooking temp.

The pizza came out decent considering it was my first crack at it and I was fighting extreme cold weather, took about 3 minutes per pie, need to figure out how to get the bottom more crispy though. I also added a 2.5" strip of firebrick between the fire and the cooking chamber, to address a common complaint of burnt front edge.  Plan to experiment with stock stone, BGE stone and a kiln shelf, to see which works best for the bottom.

Dough: Used the recipe in uuni.net but replaced 00 flour with AP+gluten flour, don't want to waste the 00 until I get the hang of it  :)

Fuels: After doing some research I'm comfortable with using a brand of pellets sold for heating. The manufacturer assured me it's additives free and the lubricant is food grade.  They're aware of customers using it for cooking, but don't 'officially' approve it, to avoid liability I guess. The pies came out neutral smoke-wise and taste-wise. There was very little ash.  uuni is working on a gas insert retrofit, I also plan to try an old propane burner, inspired by @westernbbq .  Gas alternative would allow usage where wood fire is banned, also more convenient in bad/cold weather.

It may not be as good/convenient as BS, but can't beat the portability. 

canuckland

Comments