Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Ninja Coffee Bar

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Just got my wife the Ninja Coffee Bar for Christmas, the base model with the glass carafe and manual milk frothier. It's a pretty slick rig and definitely makes a stronger coffee than most electric drip coffee makers I've owned. Let me mention that I brew mostly dark Starbucks coffees and that I grind whole beans relatively medium fine in a conical burr grinder before each brewing of coffee. I'm just a hair puzzled and kinda skeptical about a few things with this device. For one how does it make stronger coffee when you select Rich Brew? I notice it makes less and seems to come out slower from the filter basket but that's about it. It does seem to taste stronger in that mode so I'm guessing it works.

Does anyone else notice this rig doesn't make coffee quite as hot as other brewers do? The warmer plate is called a "smart plate" that's designed to not burn your coffee in the carafe and that definitely seems to work but the coffee coming out from the filter basket just doesn't seem as hot as it should. In the manual, Ninja recommends preheating your mugs before filling with coffee. That helps a little but since the coffee is not as hot as it would be on a Cuisinart or Mr. Coffee it still cools down quicker.
Temperature to me seems to be the key to brewing stronger and richer coffee. I can't tell if the Ninja is tapping that method or not.

Anyone else have any experiences or tips with this maker?

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    There's a keep warm button on it swmbo loves it
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We have the one with the thermal carafe. Didn't want to like it due to the kooky name.

Love it!

Brews a great cup of strong, hot coffee.

Love the ability to brew a single cup, travel mug (Yeti), half carafe or full carafe.

A hot cupa was my greatest concern but we seem to get a pretty hot cup. Carafe keeps it for a good while as well as usually as soon as I brew a pot, the dog decides it's time for a walk.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Powak
    Options
    The wimmin do seem to love it for sure. Getting the right bean to brew selection (cup, half carafe, etc) ratio in combo with the lower brew temp is where I'll have to keep messing around to find the flavor I'm looking for. I owned a Cuisinart Grind 'n' Brew 12 pot before this rig and I could nail any amount of coffee by always grinding two more scoops than the amount of cups I was looking to make.
  • Powak
    Options
    Just took some temp readings with my Thermapen of the output of the Ninja. On Rich Roast mode for a full carafe it brews the coffee at 182°. On Classic Roast mode for a full carafe it brews at 183/184°. I know my old keurig brewed at 192° and I'm pretty sure my Cuisinart's even hotter. I'm gonna check that today.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Powak said:
    Just took some temp readings with my Thermapen of the output of the Ninja. On Rich Roast mode for a full carafe it brews the coffee at 182°. On Classic Roast mode for a full carafe it brews at 183/184°. I know my old keurig brewed at 192° and I'm pretty sure my Cuisinart's even hotter. I'm gonna check that today.
    182 F is what I use for my Aeropress and I find this temperature works well.  Lower temperatures have become more popular, especially with a medium roast coffee.

I have a subscription to a coffee club and get a couple of freshly roasted small packets of beans in the post every week, all different types from all over the world.  Worth looking for an equivalent in the US (I am UK) if you're into coffee as it's interesting to try different beans / roasts.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can't comment on the ninja since I don't own one, but I do know that the temp of the coffee coming out of a homemade brewer is an issue with other manufacturers. I have a nespresso machine which has a history of brewing lukewarm coffee. I waited until there New model, virtuismo, came out since it specifically addressed that problem.  Now it's not an issue as the machine goes through a pre-brew cycle which warms up the water. 

In your case I would recommend using hot water to brew each time instead of just filling up the carafe with water which gets cold. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Swmbo loves making the specialties - she bought an assortment of syrups and sauces / she's a coffee bistro!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Powak
    Options
    Wow I can't believe this but I ran the Cuisinart this afternoon and put the Thermapen in the coffee in the carafe after it finished. It kept teetoering between 178 and 179° - 4 to 6° LOWER than the Ninja!!! What that tells me is the reason my coffees have been cooler is because it takes more creamer to make my coffee the way I like it with the Ninja, because it brews it stronger. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I went through 3 Keurigs due to clogging issues. Luckily Bed Bath and Beyond had a great return policy. Finally I gave up and purchased a Technivorm. Hopefully you will not experience the clogging issues with your Ninga.
    Here is a video that explains brew temp and drinking temp.

https://youtu.be/k4I8eTNAEKM
  • Hans61
    Options
    dont bypass the preheating stage obviously 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf