Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking at possible purchase of L BGE!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of getting a large BGE to replace a 12yr Weber Kettle and a 10yr Weber gas grill, both of which are on their last legs. Some of the reservations I have are:
1. size, there are only 2 of us but we entertain friends (20) every once in a while. I understand the XL would use more charcoal for 2 burgers than the L.
2. Damn expensive for a charcoal cooker!
3. Places that sell them seem to come and go, where do you then get support?
Do I need a plate setter to cook chickens or Turkeys? or will they cook evenly without one? all the pictures show the birds upright, do they have to cook that way?[p]Thanks in advance, a possible future owner
Kevin

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    kcarver141, get the large, you can always buy more Eggs. My mapp gas I use to light my lump last me 2 years, thats a small $7 expense, There is always support at the main office of BGE and endless support right here. The birds can cook either way depending on how you want them. Even the ribs are great

[ul][li]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/tach18k/ribs4th2_800.jpg[/ul]
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    kcarver141,
    good advice.
    start with a large, you'll not regret it.
    fine for 2-3 chickens, a mess of ribs, or
    a couple steaks for a quiet evening for the
    two of you.
    best, HS

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    kcarver141,[p]Because of the price, I balked at buying an Egg for 2 years. After my first cook, I wished I had bought it the first time I saw it. The ceramic body really does cook foods better than any metal cooker I've had. And they appear to last about forever. There was a post awhile back showing an Egg still in use from the mid 1980's. And they're all weather. You can use them in snow, and, as I've found, in thunderstorms (although it helps to have a little "rain hat" for them.) And, if I recall right, some people have done as much as 36 pounds of pork butt at one time on a large.[p]gdenby

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    kcarver141,
    If you are near Vegas a buddy of mine has his large for sale. It's about a year old.[p]I can get you info if you are interested.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]That egg was sold the first day. Used eggs don't appear very often and when they do they don't last long.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    drbbq,
    Thanks Ray. I just heard about it last night and haven't talked with Phillip yet.[p]

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    kcarver141,[p]worth every cent....you can always get support form the Mothership in Atlanta, just a great bunch of people. And the wonderful folks on this forum will assist in any way possible. [p]Get the plate setter...not that expensive and easier to use than a make shift one...also get ash tool and a pizza stone.[p]we only have the two of us at our house and the large is perfect...think, lots of ribs, pulled pork and brisket.[p]join the wacko eggers..we are a fun bunch and when you cook for your 20 friends they will come back more often than before.[p]Penny

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    kcarver141,
    1. Large will work perfect.[p]2. YEP! But, worth it.[p]3. You got that right and there has been a lot of discussion lately about this very subject. All I have gotten out of it so far is: move to North Carolina cuz there is at least one great dealer there.[p]4. Nope, but it is worth it and you can cook it up, down, sideways, what ever floats your boat.[p]Go for it, if you don't like it someone will take it off your hands without issue.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    kcarver141,[p]I love my large. I can't address all of your questions but I'll say that I have never cooked a chicken upright and they turn out just fine.[p]Start with a small or mini and use your weber for large crowds. Then when you're hooked, get the large. Or vice versa. Personally, I'd get the large first. ;)[p]Gwen