Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Goose breast ideas?

Options
JethroVA
JethroVA Posts: 1,251
My son bagged some Canada geese yesterday. Breasts are brining right now. What do you suggest for seasoning and cooking technique?  This is a first for me.  P.s. Doesn't necessarily have to be done on the egg.  Thanks
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,533
    Options
    I've only done domestic goose, wild shouldn't be too different other than leaner.  Lotsa fat in the skin just like a duck, make sure you score the skin well.  I wouldn't add anything the first time except pepper (you're already brining), let the goose flavor shine through!  
    I'll be checking for my Invite...

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I plucked one a while back. Wrapped in bacon and low and slow till it was 170 internal temp pretty darn good

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I have two geese and a mallard ( breasts only) bringing now for the last 10 days that are going on the egg this weekend for pastrami 
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Pastrami goose sounds delicious. I have done Tereyaki with great success.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Do you like Thai/Oriental food?

We busted geese at a friend's farm for years as a favor when I was in college. I tried roasting, smoking, braising, grilling, you name it, we tried to make it great. 

The stuff that "non game" eaters kept coming back for was chili Thai stir fry and teriyaki grilled skewers. Something about the sweet flavors balanced the unique gamey flavor of a wild goose (which is very different than traditional goose)

if either of those sounds good tag me and I'll dig up the recipes. My favorite are the teriyaki skewers. 

the best advice I can give is DO NOT OVERCOOK!!  it's real easy to do with the little fat that is on them. Think beef not chicken. You want it med-med rare. People usually cook wild birds done and that's why they are chewy and taste bad. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    See how @Hntnhrd did his where it looks like a medium steak? That's perfect. Looks awesome man. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,173
    Options
    an overnight soak in buttermilk first helps if you don't like anything gamey
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    poster said:
    an overnight soak in buttermilk first helps if you don't like anything gamey
    He already has them in a brine now. I don't think it will do any good. 

But for future reference. 

South of Nashville, TN

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I usually keep it simple and wrap in bacon cook indirect around 300 until bacon is done. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    I do it frequently, with a light applewood smoke. Favorite seasoning is Dizzy Pig's Game On! (Yes, I work here) I also enjoy goose breast cooked to medium rare and have a tough time telling the difference between that and a steak cooked like I mentioned.
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • JethroVA
    Options
    Thanks everyone! 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Pastrami comes out excellent, but if you are looking for something a bit quicker...

From a gentleman out in Wiggins, Colorado who kills a lot of geese:

Armenian Marinade 
    This is a fantastic marinade for lamb which is also great for geese, duck, beef, or anything else you want to try it on. My friends tell me that it makes goose taste like steak. 

3 pounds meat cut into 1 to 1 ½ inch cubes 
    1 medium onion coarsely chopped 
    2 tablespoons olive oil  
    3 teaspoons salt  
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper  
    1 teaspoon oregano  
    1 teaspoon cumin powder  
    1/2 teaspoon allspice  
    1 whole bay leaf crumbled or powdered 
    2 cloves garlic minced or pressed 

Coat meat with onion and oil. Mix seasonings and sprinkle over meat. Cover tightly and marinate 1 to 3 days in the refrigerator. Do not freeze while marinating. 

This makes a great Shish Kebab, or just throw the meat on the grill. With goose and duck you want the meat to be medium rare. I grill goose cubes in the grill for 6 to 8 minutes and they come out great. Serve immediately right off the grill. 

Variation #1: Sauté some jalapeno pepper slices in butter, roll the goose chunk up in a half slice of bacon with a slice of the jalapeno inside. Put a toothpick through it and grill until the bacon is done, about 8 minutes. 

Variation #2: In a plastic zip-lock bag, mix flour, basil, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Shake the marinated goose pieces in the bag and then fry them in butter or margarine until golden brown. Like little goose nuggets. Tasty!! 

Enjoy this recipe, it makes goose taste great.

• JethroVA
    Options
    We went with cream cheese and jalapeño wrapped in bacon and basted with a little bbq sauce.  Outstanding!