Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Advice needed about a knife sharpener I received as a gift

Options
Wolfie51sb
Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
edited January 2017 in Off Topic

Received a knife sharpener (please see pics) from SWMBO for Christmas. Before I open and use it, I hope to get input from folks whether this (and in general, knife sharpeners like this) is worth keeping, and if it isn't, what's a better alternative for sharpening knives at home. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

2.jpg 343.6K
1.jpg 615.6K

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can not speak specifically for that model, but I bought a Chef's Choice Pronto Asian Knife sharpener - model 463 - which Cook's Illustrated rated it as number one a while back. I have always been quite pleased. It too is 100% diamond abrasives with 2 stage sharpening and honing. Just 5 tor 6 swipes through both sides and my Asian style knifes are razor sharp. BTW the Asian blade angle is smaller.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    That depends on what your options are and how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go. That sharpener will work.  If you are willing to put in the time and effort, get a lansky or knockoff of an apex pro from Amazon.  They take more time, but you can get a scary sharp edge.   Once you have a sharp knife you need to learn proper care and maintenance to maintain that edge. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I have the Work Sharp Ken Onion belt sharpener & love it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A friend recently picked up a Chef's Choice Trizor 15 at BBB for $150.
    Within minutes, I had 5 of his knives paper cutting sharp first time up.  Minimal learning curve.  Not Edge Pro Apex sharp, but a helluva lot better than what we had to begin with.  It does, remove a significant amount of metal in a hurry.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Wolfie51sb
    Options
    Thank you for the replies/advice. I think for my needs, this will work fine.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have the electric Chef's Choice 130.....it's great.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I bought a chefs choice top of the line years ago and ended up giving it to my sister.  I have spent a bunch of money on a Norton three stone oil bath sharpener and upgraded to Arkansas hard stones. Save your money and get an Ken Onion Work Sharp. No affiliation just a good product. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser