Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-maze-n smoker

Options
Got one for Christmas.  I know those that have them use for cheese, so I'd appreciate any tips on smoking cheese.  But other than that, what do you use this thing for?

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I used mine Monday to cold smoke bacon. I smoked the bacon for 8 hours then finished it in the oven. I did that because I refilled the smoker and cold smoked my pastrami for about 8 hours - then I added lump in the egg and cooked it normally. 
    The smoker is easy to use and works as advertised.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bacon, salmon, cheese, nuts, butter... basically anything you don't want to heat but want smoke. 

My setup: clean out lump and place ANS on fire grate, then heat deflector with pan of ice on top, then cooking grate with whatever you are smoking. I leave both vents wide open- I have a smokeware cap. 

If its really cold outside no need for ice.  The heat deflector stops the heat from slightly cooking the bottom of the food. 

For cheese: Time can depend on how smokey a flavor profile you prefer.  I tend to like around 3.5-4 hrs.  But no matter how long you smoke it needs some time to meld or food will taste a little bitter. Most will vacuum seal and let mellow in the fridge for minimum 2-3 weeks after smoking. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    You will love it!
    First off, when you smoke the cheese please don't taste right away, you will not like it. Wrap it up, tuck into the fridge and forget about it for a week. After a week, you will love it! The better the cheese, the better the finished product. Buy Tillamook if you can.
    Because you can use it with or without your charcoal burning, the smoker can be used for everything from ribs to smoked salt and smoked cheese. Check out their website for some great ideas.

Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • Just got one myself a couple of weeks ago.  Did a test run and cold smoked some cheese which is currently mellowing.  Also did a hot smoke for a batch of jerky.  I used apple BBQ delight apple pellets for the cheese.  Lit and smoked no problem.  I used Jack Daniels pellets for the jerky and they were harder to keep lit.  Definitely want to light it and let burn for at least 5-10 minutes before blowing out flame and adding to the egg.  Hope that helps.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Boileregger
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I used mine Monday to cold smoke bacon. I smoked the bacon for 8 hours then finished it in the oven. I did that because I refilled the smoker and cold smoked my pastrami for about 8 hours - then I added lump in the egg and cooked it normally. 
    The smoker is easy to use and works as advertised.
    What is the benefit of cold smoking bacon and pastrami?  I have done both with success hot smoking so just trying to understand the difference.  PS @SciAggie I also got charcuterie book for Xmas and have been inspired by your thread to try making my own kraut.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you have trouble keeping chips lit- try placing them in a 200-250 degree oven for 20 minutes or so before igniting. It takes out any moisture they may have absorbed. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Thanks @Wolfpack.  Good tip.

@Boileregger Meathead has some good info on his site, amazing ribs.com. 
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I like it a lot for cheese. Wife thinks two hours of smoke is perfect, while I like at least three. So it's easy to take some off early for her. When the weather is cold, no need for a heat deflector, nor for taking any lump out of the firebox. Just place the smoker on top of whatever lump is in there and light it. I raise the grid like I would for chicken, to make sure it's high enough to avoid any heat. Cheese goes on the fine mesh basket I use for fish, just placed on the grid.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Cheese is my most common use, but I also smoke water. Actually I smoke ice cubes with the cheese, in a pan below.  At the conclusion, I capture the water to make ice cubes.  The ice has a great smokey flavor that works great with bourbon, bloody marys, etc.  
    Phoenix 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I also got an A-maze-n-smoker for Christmas.  I have never done cheese but have hot smoked bacon.  When using an A-maze-n-smoker for bacon, is there a guide somewhere for how long the bacon should smoke?  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SirSquatch
    Options
    Bacon -> http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201775/cold-smoked-bacon

Smoked butter is amazing. Cheese, hot peppers, cured sausages. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Di you guys git the maze or the tube version?

I have the 12" tube version and I picked up a BBQ Delight sample pellet pack from Amazon. Allows me to try out 6 different smoke flavors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2AD8D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Di you guys git the maze or the tube version?

I have the 12" tube version and I picked up a BBQ Delight sample pellet pack from Amazon. Allows me to try out 6 different smoke flavors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2AD8D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a tray and a tube.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• OhioEgger
    Options
    I use the 6x6 maze version with the sawdust. Works really well and they have many different flavors of sawdust. I mainly use the hickory. It only takes a little bit for cheese.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.