Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much Ham per person!

Options

I'm looking at a Kroger Spiral cut ham as well as there whole unsliced Hams, both bone in, I am cooking for 15/16 people and was wondering how big of Ham or Hams to buy. I have a XL and could do one big one or 2 smaller ones. I was thinking two  7/8 pounders. I do want to have enough for this size group.

Thanks in advance.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    with all the other fixings, appetizers, etc, I always use 1/2 lb per person as my guide.  between women (eat less)/men (eat more), adults/kids - it always works out.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ham freezes well, shoot for extras. scalloped potatoes cheese and ham is a winter favorite
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Leftover ham at my house never lasts long. Folks nibble on it ever time they wander through the kitchen. Er on the side of too much. One 10 lb. ham isn't enough - get two and be good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    None for me, thanks.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm the only one in my family with an affinity for ham, so we're gonna do turkey.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    jbreed said:
    with all the other fixings, appetizers, etc, I always use 1/2 lb per person as my guide.  between women (eat less)/men (eat more), adults/kids - it always works out.
    I agree with @jbreed. Normally 6-8 ounces average protein is a good number to use with any meat. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    The fresh ham I just did for family holiday brunch started at 26 pounds and trimmed down to about 22.  We had 12 adults and 6 kids and they fairly well destroyed it. After the nibbling through the evening, there was maybe enough left for sandwiches for the 4 of us over the course of the next day or 2.  But the ham disappears before the snowflake rolls go stale, so go BIG and enjoy it while it's around.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    One can never have too much ham.  Toss a decent sized one in the cart, carry on.  You won't see me counting ounces, on anything...cocktails even.

Ham and eggs
    Hot ham and cheese sandwiches
    Ham and bean soup
    Scalloped taters and ham
    Diced ham on pizza
    Diced ham on salad
    Diced ham in mac and cheese
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KYJeff
    KYJeff Posts: 31
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jbreed said:
    Second This,  If it's a mixed crowd 1/2 lb per person always works out.  Ive used it for 12 people and 100.  If you want leftovers just add a couple pounds to the total.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    My Moms church group does a tonne of catering and it's always the same. 1/2 lb per person. It was said above but it seems to be pretty true. If you have lots of sides, maybe a bit less but leftovers are good too. So for 15 people, grab an 8 - 10 lb ham and you'll have lots. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    ham freezes well, shoot for extras. scalloped potatoes cheese and ham is a winter favorite
    And don't forget French Canadian pea soup. =)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Now I want to make pea soup. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.