Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best custom cover

Options
I'm just wondering who makes the best custom cover. I live in Nova Scotia where my property sees a lot of high wind and snow.
Like it to cover my whole table. What typically are the costs ?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I can't speak for the cost of postage, but recently I ordered a custom cover from Duckcovers in California. I was led to them by satisfied eggers. In my case I wanted a cover duplicated that BGE used to sell which covered my table with my large and small eggs. I sent them my old cover to duplicate. The cost is $125. Why not just send them an email and ask?  Here's the link:
    http://www.duckcovers.com/content/product/info.aspx?source=googledc&gclid=CML8geaZ49ACFQIMaQod46wIiQ

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    I have two duck covers (one patio set and one for the egg). They're pretty good.

Though after 2+ years, i'm starting to see a little wear on both the egg and patio set covers...
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • RRP
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    I have two duck covers (one patio set and one for the egg). They're pretty good.

Though after 2+ years, i'm starting to see a little wear on both the egg and patio set covers...
    PM sent if you don't mind answering.
  • ToTheMax
    Options
    The green egg cover

For those that might think it's heat related, it's not, I cover the grill after it's cool to the touch. For comparison the patio table cover:

And a zoom of the patio table cover:

2+ year old duck cover.

@RRP
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That looks like a standard nonwoven fabric? Not a very durable fabric for outdoor use. If you want waterproof then you will need a vinyl coated product- but you won't get any airflow. I would recommend something made of Sunbrella- great UV fade resistance and durable.  They make boat covers and awnings out of this stuff- will last you for years but it's not water impervious. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    Options
    Product description - partial anyway:

• 100% Waterproof: "Like water off a duck's back"
    • Breathable: Using the latest material technology, moisture evaporates through the material, preventing mold and mildew from forming on your furniture.
    • UV treated: Strong UV defense against the sun keeps your covers looking like new. No cracking or fading.

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    PM sent.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • ToTheMax
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    That looks like a standard nonwoven fabric? Not a very durable fabric for outdoor use. If you want waterproof then you will need a vinyl coated product- but you won't get any airflow. I would recommend something made of Sunbrella- great UV fade resistance and durable.  They make boat covers and awnings out of this stuff- will last you for years but it's not water impervious. 
    It's waterproof. I ripped a small piece by pulling ice off of it, in no way do I blame duck covers for my stupidity, but it shows a piece of plastic between two layers of... something

Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Looks like two layers of Poly nonwoven with some kind of breathable film in the middle- probably PTFE (think gore Tex). Looks like some kind of fluorocarbon face coat too. That's what makes it shed water like a ducks back. 

Non- woven fabrics have very low tear and tensile strengths and poor abrasion resistance. 

With that said- be careful with the fabric and it should last for years. Watch for snags or allowing to cover to flap in wind- 

Greensboro, NC
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    http://grillwraps.com/bge/

I got got a cover from here and it's about 3 years old now and still as good as new. I have the guys email somewhere if anyone wants it, his name is Bill. 
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I always use vinyl coverings by Mel. They have lasted over 7 years through Ohio winters and snow storms. Most reasonable prices around.    can be reached at vinhlcoveringsbymel.com
  • 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    Options
    I think I may just get the bge dome cover and say screw covering the rest of the table. It'd sealed with many coats of uv protected urathane.
  • RRP
    Options
    36onslow said:
    I think I may just get the bge dome cover and say screw covering the rest of the table. It'd sealed with many coats of uv protected urathane.
    Suit yourself, but if you had to choose one over the other then the egg could stand up to being uncovered for years but not so with the table urathane build up or not.
  • Texag06ish
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    The green egg cover

For those that might think it's heat related, it's not, I cover the grill after it's cool to the touch. For comparison the patio table cover:

2+ year old duck cover.

@RRP
    My cover is showing these same signs of wear and I have had it about 7 months.
  • ToTheMax
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    The green egg cover

2+ year old duck cover.

@RRP
    My cover is showing these same signs of wear and I have had it about 7 months.
    Well then, I guess mine isn't defective then. Just a bad design. Never buying from duck covers again.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • joeybrown105
    Options
    @36onslow I had to buy one that was a fairly large size to fit my table, and I've loved this one:

https://goo.gl/FTRCHE

Good luck!
    Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/5865427852.html

@36onslow
    The guy is asking $75 for it but it's been sitting for a month on Craigslist. I could see if he would go $60 on it. I can ship it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 36onslow
    Options
    RRP said:
    36onslow said:
    Suit yourself, but if you had to choose one over the other then the egg could stand up to being uncovered for years but not so with the table urathane build up or not.
    I'm not overly concerned about the table. I can build another easily enough. I like building thing and creating new designs so I'm more concerned about the egg then the table 
  • 36onslow
    Options

WeberWho said:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/5865427852.html

@36onslow
    The guy is asking $75 for it but it's been sitting for a month on Craigslist. I could see if he would go $60 on it. I can ship it
    That does seem like a decent deal ... to bad the Canadian and American dollar weren't closer lol
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    My Duck cover has been out in the elements for over a year and still looks like new. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.