Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking trouble, need help.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not been able to master smoking on the BGE and was looking for some pointers. I have never seen a smoke ring and my food tends to not have a great smoke flavor but more like a burnt smoke flavor. The smoking wood only seems to smoke for about 20-30 minutes and I feel I need to add more.[p]I have tried ribs, tri tip, pork butt, spatchcock and beer can chicken without "perfect" results. The food has been good but the smoke flavor just isn't what I taste when I eat at the local BBQ place.[p]I have tried wood chunks, chips and recently pellets which I seemed to have better luck with. Apple, Cherry, Oak and Hickory have all been tried.[p]Thanks for any insight,
Ray

Comments

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Ray,
    Don't be discouraged. You will receive a lot of help from this forum...just keep asking your questions.[p]Firstly, make sure you have a clean fire going before adding food to the grill. When slow cooking any kind of pork I will add a couple handfulls of wood chunks. For Ribs I use a milder wood like apple or cherry. For boston butt or picnic I like to use chucks of oak or Hickory. I don't like too much wood for beef or chicken (except brisket) so I tend to switch to rubs for added flavor. Also, try to add the wood to the center as that tends to be the hottest area. Once this egg thing "clicks" you'll be answering these questions. ;-)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    LBTRS,[p]If you are getting a "burnt smoke flavor" there is a good chance you have either too much smoke, the smoke has not settled down or both. With smoke, less is better. [p]Don't worry about the smoke ring. It adds no flavor and once you get flavor and color dialed in you can work on it.[p]It will not answer all your questions, but here is a link to a page on my cookin' site you might want to check out. Maybe it will help you fine tune your technique(s) or spark some more questions. From there if you navigate back to my homepage, you will find some ideas for recipes too.[p]Don't get discouraged. In no time you will equal or exceed the quality of barbecue you enjoy at Q joints.[p]~thirdeye~
    [ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]That page really helped...I see my first problem is that I'm using too much smoke. When I put the food on the cooker it's blowing smoke like a frieght train. I thought the huge bellowing white smoke cloud is what I was after. I see on your page that I don't want that.[p]I will let the fire settle down more and try some more.[p]Thanks,
    Ray