Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Custom Sliding 2nd Level Grill Grate for Big Green Egg

Options
Heli_Guy
Heli_Guy Posts: 27
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
I recently entertained a bunch of people for an afternoon BBQ and to accommodate the amount of meat I had to cook on my XL Big Green Egg I purchased the BGE 2 Level Cooking Grid http://biggreenegg.com/product/2-level-cooking-grid/

Really disappointing purchase. The rack is coated with porcelain, so difficult to clean and also it's almost impossible to access the meat on the main grill, as the one on top is completely in the way.

I was looking at some other options available
But really didn't like either one of these designs.

I decided to design my own. The idea is based on BGE design, but utilizing superior stainless steel grate using 3/8" rods spaced 1/4" apart, the riser incorporates two rails which the 2nd level grate can slide back on, to grant access to the meat on the main grate, the 2nd level grate has some guides and pegs that keep it on the rails and prevent the 2nd level from tipping over when it's pushed back.

See images below of my design.

Michael Custom Grill Works (http://michaelscustomgrillworks.com/ ) makes sperior grilling grate products utilizng superb stainless steel, see review on his products here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/michaelscgw/michaelsgrills.htm

I've commissioned him to fabricate my design. Will post pictures of the product once I receive it.

See pictures of my design below.

1.png 1.2M
2.png 966.7K
3.png 999.7K
4.png 359.5K
5.png 1.4M
6.png 1.4M

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I've got a grill Michael made and love the workmanship. My only question of why you decided on 3/8" rod only 1/4" apart. There is going to be a lot of heat wasted using that much metal up to speed. Much less the weight of your design.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Heli_Guy
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wanted something sturdy. Kind of like the grate in my Napolean BBQ. I think 1/2" spacing is better suited for the fire box, but I use a kick ash basket down there.

If you check out the difference between 1/4" and 1/2" in this picture, I think 1/4" still gives enough space for heat to circulate, and makes it easier to grill smaller items as well, like shrimp or small pieces of chicken without them falling through:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/michaelscgw/showphoto2.htm?file=rodfg3.jpg&caption=Medium%20firegrates%20with%201%2F4%22%20and%201%2F2%22%20spacing.

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product when you receive it. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Good looking design. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• MisterCode
    Options
    Get your finished grate back yet? 
    XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Get your finished grate back yet? 
    Don't hold your breath.  2 comments from his profile, both on Sept 3rd.  My guess he was setting up to sell these, got no bites so he bailed.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Yep, very suspect for a first post, but he was more subtle than most.

Phoenix 
  • MisterCode
    Options
    Haha! You're probably right. 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    That's a very cool design!

How much weight do you think the upper grate, in the rear sliding position, can hold before it tips over?

For example... If you had multiple pork shoulders/brisket on both levels and the lower finished first, would you be able to slide the upper to the rear position (to pull lower level meat off) and not have the upper grid fall backwards? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • MisterCode
    Options
    Dang, that is awesome. Very handsome table too. You liking the 1/4" spacing? 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    very cool - I like it.
    Phoenix 
  • Heli_Guy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jameson19 said:
    That's a very cool design!

How much weight do you think the upper grate, in the rear sliding position, can hold before it tips over?

For example... If you had multiple pork shoulders/brisket on both levels and the lower finished first, would you be able to slide the upper to the rear position (to pull lower level meat off) and not have the upper grid fall backwards? 
    I designed the sliding upper grate with a stop just before it slides past half way, both to prevent a fulcrum for tipping and also to prevent it from contacting the interior of the open lid of the big green egg.
    If you have an item on the upper level, you can keep it towards the front of the grate. If you have multiple items on the upper level, as long as you keep the distribution of items on the grate so that the centre of gravity is at most in the grate centre (not further back) it should not tip over. 

However, just for the sake of experimentation, I placed all my corning ware on the back of the upper grate towards the rear, weighing total of 4 Lbs 11 oz and it did not tip over, I still pressed down on the plates, and it still did not tip over, so there is good weight margin. Again, this is something I wouldn't usually do, I'd keep items on upper grade towards the front or at centre, then there would definitely be no issues.

• MisterCode
    Options
    That is very cool. It's nice you nailed it on the first try. I guess having 3D CAD helps. I'm curious, how old is your XL?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Is this set up available to buy?  Great design!  I like the sliding grid.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Heli_Guy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dang, that is awesome. Very handsome table too. You liking the 1/4" spacing? 
    Yeah, the 2 main advantages are
    1. When cooking smaller items like chicken wings or other small pieces of meat (shrimp or the small part of chicken breasts) or when grilling vegetables in a basket, there zero chance of any of the food falling down, which has always frustrated me in the past.

2. I bought from a restaurant supply store a hefty steel brush to clean the grate, it did not work well with the larger rod spacing of the original grate but it's really awesome with this setup, cleans the grates far better and easier than the type of brushes you would get in typical places like Home Depot. (see photo below).

Only down side is the weight of these items. 24 Lbs for main grate and 22 Lbs for upper grate with the riser.

• Heli_Guy
    Options
    That is very cool. It's nice you nailed it on the first try. I guess having 3D CAD helps. I'm curious, how old is your XL?
    Yes, just contact Michael Custom Grill Works (see link above on the 1st posting I made).
  • Heli_Guy
    Options
    My XL BGE is 1 year old now. I use it almost daily for cooking. My propane Napolean BBQ hasn't really seen the light of day since I got the BGE!
  • MisterCode
    Options
    Okay, so your dome is the taller/newer version. My dome is the original design and something like 2" shorter than yours. I just grilled Kielbasa for lunch and a dozen slices fell through the gap in the original grate. I understand your frustration and motivation for only wanting 1/4" gap. 
  • Heli_Guy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Okay, so your dome is the taller/newer version. My dome is the original design and something like 2" shorter than yours. I just grilled Kielbasa for lunch and a dozen slices fell through the gap in the original grate. I understand your frustration and motivation for only wanting 1/4" gap. 
    My design measurements is based on the original Big Green Egg 2nd level rack http://biggreenegg.com/product/2-level-cooking-grid/  so my deisgn should fit well in any XL BGE.

Yeah, nothing more frustrating than a beautiful grilled piece of meat or asparagus falling down into the inferno and being lost for good
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Very nice setup!  Impressed with the final product.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Very nice add on.... both grids very accessible 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Looks really nice. Thanks for the follow up. 
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Do you mind, @Heli_Guy, if I ask how much you paid for it? It sure is nice, but I am thinking it is pretty pricey...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looks great. But you may want to find a grid brush of brass or S/S. Preferably a woven pad style. When you clean S/S with a steel  brush you may find a bit of rust after a bit of time has passed.
    I have had Michael make 4 grids for me. And I won't make that mistake again.
    Now I just run them through the dishwasher.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Heli_Guy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    Do you mind, @Heli_Guy, if I ask how much you paid for it? It sure is nice, but I am thinking it is pretty pricey...
    Price depends if you use 3/8" rods or 1/4" rods and also if you choose 1/4" spacing or 1/2" spacing.
    I chose the thicker 3/8" rods and tighter spacing of 1/4".

For the XL BGE 24" grate with all 3/8" bar stock and 1/2" spacing it should run $200, for 1/4" spacing $240, with 1/4" rods 1/2" spacing $110, with 1/4" spacing, $145.

For the riser section it should run $50 using 3/8"

Price for upper +20" diameter shelf should be similar to 24" main grate. It is smaller diameter but a little more complex to fabricate.

You can get prices directly from Michael at custom grill works.

Might be a bit pricey but Michael uses superior stainless steel materials, they'll probably last as long as the big green egg.
  • Heli_Guy
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Looks great. But you may want to find a grid brush of brass or S/S. Preferably a woven pad style. When you clean S/S with a steel  brush you may find a bit of rust after a bit of time has passed.
    I have had Michael make 4 grids for me. And I won't make that mistake again.
    Now I just run them through the dishwasher.
    What is you cleaning routine that cause rust? I'm not sure I understood.

After the cook I typically open dampers full and raise temperature up to between 600°-700°F, then use the brush to clean the grate, then close everything up and place the upper damper "cap" inside the big green egg on the main grate.
    I haven't had any rust issues so far.
  • MisterCode
    Options
    Yeah, I was figuring you had to have around $500 into that rig. Spend the money once and enjoy it for life. Sometimes it's worth it just because it puts a smile on your face every time you use it. It is rare to see simplicity of function and beauty come together so nicely. 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    @Heli_Guy this sounds like it's cool and useful at the same time. Glad to see it supports weight and its stable
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!