Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Pizza Stones and Pizza setups

I have an XL BGE  with a grid size of 24" I have been looking at pizza stones and see stones from 19", 17.5" and smaller. Then I see the Rig and Woo combo with a 17.5" stone... so now I am confused. Why wouldn't I buy a stone as close to 24" as I could? Why is the Rig and Woo smaller? Is there a reason, maybe air flow? Since the accessories are expensive I really want to make sure I get the best option I could get at the time of purchase. Why wouldn't I use the heat deflector AKA ConvEGGtor (don't like that name) flipped over to cook pizza? Has anyone tried that?
XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Yes there needs to be an air gap all around for airflow.  Most place the pizza stone 2-3 inches above the felt line, so you need to account for the top getting narrower.  

You need to have both an indirect stone and the cooking stone.  You can use the plate setter (ConvEGGtor) as the indirect piece, but you will still need the pizza stone to cook on.   [cooking directly on the plate setter can be done, but getting consistent results is difficult and it is usually too low to get the proper balance of cooked dough and toppings.]
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I use the BGE XL stone and elevate it just above the felt line. It's a tight fit but I like making 22" pizzas for large groups.  

I'm not sure if airflow plays a big role is the cook or not, but I always use an infrared thermometer to see how hot the stone is before the pie goes on.  I aim for a stone temp around 575.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    All good questions.
    As others have said, you are better of having an indirect object followed by an air gap then your pizza stone elevated higher in the dome. You don't want to cook directly on your platesetter as it will be much hotter than the air in your Egg. This will cook your dough and bottom of the pizza before the cheese and toppings get cooked.
    I believe the BGE XL stone is 21", but I would not want to go that large myself.
    When I use the XL Rig, I go 19" stone as my indirect with the 17.5" above as my pizza cooking stone.
    This was all advice from Tom, long ago, at Ceramic Grill Store. He has owned an XL for years and knows his stuff.
    You can use the platesetter, spacer and then another stone as well.
    Below I used a raiser rack to elevate the platesetter, an old stove cooking grate as a spacer topped with pizza/cooking stone. My cooking stone is and old platesetter that broke a leg and was cut down. A Wok ring also make a cheap, easy, spacer.
    Getting higher in the dome will bubble and brown your cheese and toppings better.
    Let us know how your cook goes...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Ive have burned plenty of pizza on the egg. Can I also suggest parchment paper? Works great
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Parchment paper between the stone and crust? That's new to me but will give it a try for sure. 
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • Photo Egg
    sjm1027 said:
    Parchment paper between the stone and crust? That's new to me but will give it a try for sure. 
    Parchment does work very well. Build your pizza on the parchment, trim the parchment tight around the crust and it will not burn on high temp cooks. Makes it very easy to slide the pizza onto the Egg. 
    You can pull it out after the crust cooks half way through the cook if you want.
    Leave a small area large enough to grab on the parchment if you trim it tight.
    I normally pull mine out when I rotate the pizza at the half way point.
    Everyone has their own system/style that work for them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sjm1027
    Come on weekend!!!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    sjm1027 said:
    Come on weekend!!!
    Waiting for the weekend?  Nah.

I have an XL, I have the BGE pizza stone.  I like the real estate because we do lots of personal pizzas and I can cook 3 at a time easily.  The downside is I can't get that large of a stone very high into the dome.  Next one will be smaller, something like what @Photo Egg describes.
  • My parchment always burns on the edges.  If you trim it back to the edge of the crust, can it survive the full cook?  Does it have to be removed at some point?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Parchment exposed to hot air can burn. The parchment under the pizza will never get hot enough to burn and can remain there for the entire cook.  If you do not trim it down, you can pull the parchment out from under the pizza after the dough sets (a couple of minutes of cooking) but before the exposed portion burns.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Got my pizza peel and Smoke therm delivered last week.  Kitchenaid mixer w/ dough hook ready to go.  Wait, I gotta buy a pizza stone too?  The St. Louis ribs so far (3 times) have been outstanding.  We're ready for pizza.  I'm in, no turning back.  What's the best 16" stone for my large egg?  I will get copper elbows as spacers.  Thanks, all.
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    We've got the BGE stone.  It works, and it's nice and thick.  Egg'd pizza rocks!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • sjm1027
    I am definitely looking for something to have indirect, airspace and stone 3" above gasket. Is the Rig the best thing or the Woo. I can't see them good enough to know exactly what I want to do. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    sjm1027 said:
    I am definitely looking for something to have indirect, airspace and stone 3" above gasket. Is the Rig the best thing or the Woo. I can't see them good enough to know exactly what I want to do. 
    You may want to call and speak with Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store. He can answer any questions you have. But don't limit yourself to pizza. Let him know what other proteins you cook so you bucks can work for you many times over.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • sjm1027
    Hotch said:
    sjm1027 said:
    You may want to call and speak with Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store. He can answer any questions you have. But don't limit yourself to pizza. Let him know what other proteins you cook so you bucks can work for you many times over.
    Yes I will give Tom a call. But I was thinking the following for BGE XL:
    • Flip my defuser over on it's legs
    • Purchasing a 19" Stone
    • Purchase or find 3" ceramic spacers
    • Put the 3" spaces on upside down defuser
    • Place 3 to 4 spacers around parameter of defuser
    • Place 19" pizza stone on top of spacers
    Wouldn't that be the ultimate setup. This will give you 3" hight over the gasket bringing the pizza into the dome like @Photo Egg mentioned above? 
    And of course I wouldn't forget the parchment paper  :)
  • Photo Egg
    sjm1027 said:
    Hotch said:
    sjm1027 said:
    Yes I will give Tom a call. But I was thinking the following for BGE XL:
    • Flip my defuser over on it's legs
    • Purchasing a 19" Stone
    • Purchase or find 3" ceramic spacers
    • Put the 3" spaces on upside down defuser
    • Place 3 to 4 spacers around parameter of defuser
    • Place 19" pizza stone on top of spacers
    Wouldn't that be the ultimate setup. This will give you 3" hight over the gasket bringing the pizza into the dome like @Photo Egg mentioned above? 
    And of course I wouldn't forget the parchment paper  :)
    That would work. The photo I posted above has my platesetter raised above felt line but my spacer is not 3" so it might be about the same.
    A cheap Wok ring works great as a spacer. 3-4 bucks at most supply stores or asian markets.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sjm1027
    Thanks, Good idea

• sjm1027
    Talked to Tom today and he recommended the following:
    XL Rig
    17 1/2" Stone
    20" Grid

Any of you have this set up for the BGE XL? If so how do you like it?

Thanks
  • Photo Egg said:
    All good questions.
    As others have said, you are better of having an indirect object followed by an air gap then your pizza stone elevated higher in the dome. You don't want to cook directly on your platesetter as it will be much hotter than the air in your Egg. This will cook your dough and bottom of the pizza before the cheese and toppings get cooked.
    I believe the BGE XL stone is 21", but I would not want to go that large myself.
    When I use the XL Rig, I go 19" stone as my indirect with the 17.5" above as my pizza cooking stone.
    This was all advice from Tom, long ago, at Ceramic Grill Store. He has owned an XL for years and knows his stuff.
    You can use the platesetter, spacer and then another stone as well.
    Below I used a raiser rack to elevate the platesetter, an old stove cooking grate as a spacer topped with pizza/cooking stone. My cooking stone is and old platesetter that broke a leg and was cut down. A Wok ring also make a cheap, easy, spacer.
    Getting higher in the dome will bubble and brown your cheese and toppings better.
    Let us know how your cook goes...

How old was the egg in the picture Darian? Bet you lost a gasket on that cook. (smiley and wink here)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    I've done several pizzas on my lg BGE... PS, legs up, grate on legs, BGE raised grate on top of reg grate (can't remember tech name for it) and last, BGE pizza stone on top.  Have not been too good at transfering pizza from peal to stone, so I do use Parchment paper.  I usually bake for about 10 min at 725 or so degrees.  Yes, this took a little trial and error and first but now feel pretty confident in my pizza making ability.  Last several pizzas have been from scratch using Antoino Caputo (red bag) flour.  Some of the best I've ever had.
  • victor1 said:
    I've done several pizzas on my lg BGE... PS, legs up, grate on legs, BGE raised grate on top of reg grate (can't remember tech name for it) and last, BGE pizza stone on top.  Have not been too good at transfering pizza from peal to stone, so I do use Parchment paper.  I usually bake for about 10 min at 725 or so degrees.  Yes, this took a little trial and error and first but now feel pretty confident in my pizza making ability.  Last several pizzas have been from scratch using Antoino Caputo (red bag) flour.  Some of the best I've ever had.

I use a wooden peel dust it with semolina and give it a shake every now and then when putting on the toppings. Never had a problem transferring it to the stone. I don't like parchment paper turning brown as I am worried what chemicals are released to the food.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    My set up....the higher you can push the pizza up into the dome the better....of course without making contact.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I do platesetter legs up, grate, 3 firebricks then the 18" BGE pizza stone. Works great for me.  The firebricks were found on the property from when they built the place 35 years ago, but you can pick them up from your local hardware store. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    sjm1027 said:
    I have an XL BGE  with a grid size of 24" I have been looking at pizza stones and see stones from 19", 17.5" and smaller. Then I see the Rig and Woo combo with a 17.5" stone... so now I am confused. Why wouldn't I buy a stone as close to 24" as I could? Why is the Rig and Woo smaller? Is there a reason, maybe air flow? Since the accessories are expensive I really want to make sure I get the best option I could get at the time of purchase. Why wouldn't I use the heat deflector AKA ConvEGGtor (don't like that name) flipped over to cook pizza? Has anyone tried that?
    I've had my egg for over 7 years. I do not need or have an AR. If you already have a platesetter, you don't need an AR either (not for pizza anyway). I have done many pizzas on the egg though I no longer do so (I like my oven better-same or better result, much easier)). I used parchment in the egg twice. No thanks. I don't think the crust is nearly as good, even if I pull it out after a couple of minutes. Something about the initial contact of the dough with the stone. Get a wooden peel and learn to launch pies from that. It is not difficult. Have you ever seen parchment paper at a pizza joint? No? There are reasons for that.

I have a large and purchased a 14" BGE stone with my egg. It is large enough for my needs and leaves plenty of air flow room. I raise it about 4" above the platesetter using assorted parts (anything heat proof is fine) like this...

I use just a pinch of semolina on my peel. Acts like ball bearings to allow the pie to slide off. Note, it goes on the peel, not the stone. Flour works too, or cornmeal (my least favorite). This is how little semolina you need...

I have posted this video several times. Watch as much or as little as you want, but if you scroll to 3:12, you will see that he barely dusts his peel with flour, builds the pie on his table and drags it onto the peel. 

Good luck!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    edited December 2016
    I just bought some hardware to make an adjustable height raised rack, will use it for pizza tonight.  I've done pizza before but wanted to get it higher and closer to the dome. Set up is:
    Platesetter legs up
    cast iron grid (at gasket level)
    raised rack (~4")
    BGE pizza stone

Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Come on Q, You are putting that little pepperoni on that great big pizza? Come on man....Just bustin on ya! Looks awesome.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Come on Q, You are putting that little pepperoni on that great big pizza? Come on man....Just bustin on ya! Looks awesome.

It looked like more, but then... "shrinkage". :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I've had my egg for over 7 years. I do not need or have an AR. If you already have a platesetter, you don't need an AR either (not for pizza anyway). I have done many pizzas on the egg though I no longer do so (I like my oven better-same or better result, much easier)). I used parchment in the egg twice. No thanks. I don't think the crust is nearly as good, even if I pull it out after a couple of minutes. Something about the initial contact of the dough with the stone. Get a wooden peel and learn to launch pies from that. It is not difficult. Have you ever seen parchment paper at a pizza joint? No? There are reasons for that.

how are you managing to cook these in fewer than three days?  i heard that's really the only proper way.  i just called my pizza joint and told them i would be ordering a pizza for monday night football, please start now.  too difficult to cook one myself.

;)
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited December 2016
    @Photo Egg what stone temp/dome temp do you aim for?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Photo Egg
    edited December 2016
    @xiphoid007 I have never checked temp on stone.
    I preheat and assume its close to my dome temp as the stone is raised pretty high.
    Cooking temp depends on the type of dough and sugar content.
    Home made dough I have gone 800-900 on thin basic pies.
    Store bought dough I cook lower to package recomendations.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas