Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First caveman steak

Options
Don't know why I waited this long to try this. Best char and crust I've been able to muster with CI, SV, or on the grid. Loved it.

Almost forgot the plated shot since I was busy stuffing my face.

And the accessories to the crime...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• slobound
    Options
    That's a good looking steak!
    - Garrick
    SoCal Egger
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    And we waited 8500 posts to see it! :) congrats all around. Looks fantastic!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Looks like you are finally catching up!!
    Nicely done sir!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Maybe I'll give caveman a try one if these days 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• chadpsualum
    Options
    Great looking steak!  Also love the Golden Monkey!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Nice cook

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great cook and most eggcellent fork placement.  
    BTW- some good sized lump right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Nice cook! Caveman steaks are awesome!!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Excellent choice in both rub and ale!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A mighty fine looking steak right there Mr. @caliking ...... A favorite cook of mine and have had nothing but outstanding results. It just takes getting over the mental aspect of doing something different while being risk averse to failure. The investment in a thick steak (necessary) can be hefty....With the risk (which I believe is minimal) you get a high payback. Nice job.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    All in due time. Looks good man. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice job there.  Did you only go caveman sear or did you SV before or cook do a reverse sear w a caveman finale??? 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Haven't had the guts to try this one myself yet.
    Stillwater, MN
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Looks great! Nice job.
    LBGE
    AL
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Gotta try it. Just gotta. 

Looks awesome!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Dang that looks good.... got to get my nerve up to try it
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Make sure you have a nice even level of hot lump and away you go.  I generally run dome open for the cook but will cycle depending on how hot the fire becomes.  Again, many ways to get there -but it is a show-stopper for the crowd.  And yes, the protein will get devoured.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Very nice looking steak!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Eat your heart out you steak joints! 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Victory man!  Looks fantastic.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Sweet meat bro!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Asheesh, (I hope I have the correct spelling) I can't believe you waited so long for a "caveman cook", they look wonderful! I do this regularly. The first time I tried this Sandy brought home about 70 bucks worth of steak and I threw them on the coals...she about sh*t! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, folks. Ended up having to go in to work in the afternoon, so just got a chance to catch up.

piney said:
    Asheesh, (I hope I have the correct spelling) I can't believe you waited so long for a "caveman cook", they look wonderful! I do this regularly. The first time I tried this Sandy brought home about 70 bucks worth of steak and I threw them on the coals...she about sh*t! 
    Now that's funny! And you were close - its Ashish, but I have been called worse :)

• caliking
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Nice job there.  Did you only go caveman sear or did you SV before or cook do a reverse sear w a caveman finale??? 
    The plan was to grill direct, and get some good grid marks on it, so I could post a photogenic steak. Then I said "f*ck it! I'm going caveman!" IT was about 80°F when I dropped it on the coals. Guess it technically ended up as a reverse sear cook. 

I liked this more than previous SV steak cooks. I'm a fan now. 

• caliking
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Looks like you are finally catching up!!
    Nicely done sir!
    I'm trying, Hotch :)

• caliking
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook and most eggcellent fork placement.  
    BTW- some good sized lump right there.
    I had to glue a few pieces together to make that big piece in the back. 

Seriously though, I've always had pretty big pieces of Rockwood in the bags. The lump for this cook was from a bag that was 2/3rds full.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    It's sad when I look at a cook and wonder what kind of lump they're burning. I guessed (wrongly) Fogo. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I still haven't tried caveman. That does it, next time it's steak night. Looks great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    OMG that is beautiful (girl adjective)! The great big flat piece of charcoal is the PERFECT piece for caveman style. I've never found a piece like that...the biggest problem is making a flat and continuous bed of coals to put the steak on. My favorite steak cook.
    Judy in San Diego
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for the kind words, folks. Ended up having to go in to work in the afternoon, so just got a chance to catch up.

piney said:
    Now that's funny! And you were close - its Ashish, but I have been called worse :)
    Hey I didn't do to bad for a Truckdriving, NC Hillbilly
    Lenoir, N.C.