Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Kurobuta Ham (Pic Heavy)

Options
Jameson19
Jameson19 Posts: 354

I decided it was my turn to see what all the chatter was about, so here's my go at an SRF 14 pound, bone in Kurobuta ham. 

I set my large BGE for 300° indirect, attached the bbq guru, unwrapped the ham and into the egg it went:

At one hour in, the ham is at 48° internal. The fat I scored on top has started to render and show the diamond pattern. 

Next, I made the glaze. I cup of honey, 1 cup of peach preserves, 4 tablespoons of butter, and 2 tablespoons of raspberry balsamic vinegar. I couldn't find the pomegranite balsamic in my local grocery store. 

I couldn't let the small BGE not join in on the fun, so it got lit to grill the corn.

Two hours in:

First two hours were 300 degrees, hour three was 325 degrees, and hour 4 was 350 degrees. I had to crank up the temp due to family members getting hungry, and we all know how that goes! After hour 3, I started the glazing every 30 minutes and pulled once the ham hit 135 degrees. Rested:

Sliced:

Served with peach raspberry balsamic glaze, cranberries, a side salad, mashed potatoes, gravy, grilled corn and scratch made buttermilk biscuits! 

Post cook thoughts:

This SRF ham was expensive, but after eating it, well worth every penny. I'll be ordering more as special events/holidays roll around.  Hands down, the best ham I have ever eaten, and I don't have enough positive comments at my disposal to insert here. The tenderness was amazing and my 1 year old daughter can eat it, and she doesn't have all her teeth yet. After reading some articles online and posts on this forum, I decided to fuel the BGE with only Rockwood, due to the comments about the ham being "too smokey" in the double smoked ham process. Not the case in my opinion. I could tell it was warmed in a BGE, but not that bold smoky flavor like doing ribs/brisket. By using only Rockwood, it was a very light smoke, and on a good note, it let the flavors of the glaze and ham come forward. Adding pecan wood for the next SRF ham I do will be a big decision... 

This ham is a huge piece of meat and I thought I could get it to 135 degrees internal in 2 to 2.5 hours. Not the case for me this time. I'm wondering if the ham wasn't fully thawed. It sat in the fridge (not freezer) for 4 days. Starting internal temp when I put it in the BGE was 41 degrees and didn't break 50 degrees until after an hour, in a 300 degree BGE. I didn't see an issue in cranking up the heat the last half of the "cook" and there was plenty of fat throughout the ham to keep it moist. 

The ham stayed tender and moist as I sliced and served it to my guests. We were all surprised and our expectations were far exceeded. Everyone agreed to do this ham for our Thanksgiving next time instead of a turkey. I highly recommend this ham.  

I'm going to sleep well tonight!

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!

Comments

• Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    I bet you will sleep well, nice cook and it looks amazing!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,387
    Options
    Great cook and documentation.  Most eggcellent.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Great post and thanks for sharing. I have been very interested as of late about trying one of their products and curious as if it was worth the extra cost.  You answered that!  Thanks.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jameson19
    Options
    stevez said:
    Great post and thanks for sharing. I have been very interested as of late about trying one of their products and curious as if it was worth the extra cost.  You answered that!  Thanks.
    No prob. One of these days (or years) I'm going to get my brisket techniques nailed down using Costco Primes, then I'll get an SRF black grade brisket
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    You deserve a nap after getting high off that hog.
    Nice post. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Jameson19
    Options
    Thanks @Focker

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,387
    Options
    @Jameson19 -  After this eggsperience, it's time to grab a SRF black brisket.  Perfect time of the year to offer quite a surprise banquet.  You can appreciate the difference with the ham so time to give the beef a run.  And I know it is easy for me to help you spend your money.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks like great eats!  Great write up and documentation.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Nice work and great pictures.  So glad you liked it!