Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I ruin my turkey already?

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Further to CenTex, sounds like you are going to get blamed for something you didn't do anyway and your guest pool includes some overly sensitive eaters, better to take the high road. Personally, I'd cook them both. Serve the new one to the extended family and keep the other for the immediate family, You can never have too much ready to heat and serve turkey in the freezer. 
    Best tip.  It is one thing, pushing your own immune system, but the game changes when there are others, to take into consideration.

Another option is to break down the bird, braise the legs, or sous vide the boobs at 140 for 30 minutes.  He prefers 145 for 2.5 hrs.  Use the thighs, wings, carcass, for stock, and turkey noodle soup. 

From Kenji,
    "So, while at 165°F you reach a 7-log10 reduction in bacteria count (that is, for every 10 million bacteria you started with, only one will remain) in under 10 seconds, at 140°F (60°C), this process can take almost 10 minutes. That said, turkey cooked and held at 140°F for 30 minutes is just as safe as turkey cooked and held at 165°F for 10 seconds."

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/food-lab-sous-vide-turkey-crisp-skin-sous-vide-101-thanksgiving.html

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/9ab2e062-7ac8-49b7-aea1-f070048a113a/RTE_Poultry_Tables.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I did the same thing.  Woke up this morning and CRAP! 

Water temp 48. Probed surface of bird.  44 in some places. 

I don't want my reputation ruined.  I tossed it.  turkey breast only.  work handed fresh turkeys today.  I will be using that.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Boileregger
    Options
    My wife made me take her out to dinner the night before Thanksgiving several years ago.  Thanksgiving Day I made the full meal, sit down have one bite and start feeling ill.  That damn place gave me food poisoning.  I was in absolute hell for 3-4 days and wanted to die.

I didn't want to go out, she never got sick and I still hear about how I got sick that one year and ruined our Thanksgiving.  I can't imagine how much I'd hear about it if it was my food.

Throw it out, trust me it isn't worth it.  
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Did anyone puke or poop from the bird? inquiring minds want to know...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• InfectedDAS
    Options
    Everyone alive and breathing?
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Everyone alive and breathing?
     Everything turned out just fine other than the fact my dads egg kind of sucks and the bird was coated with soot. Took the skin off (sadly) and all was fine. No one got sick, turkey was great!
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    good news!..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'd serve it to the old people who aren't even buying green bananas anymore and the kids that annoy the heck out of you.  Other than them, keep it aside and move forward after three hours post ingestion by that group.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95