Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving turkey shock & success

Options
Woke up early this morning ready to cook a 15 lb turkey on my LGE. Much to my surprise, upon opening the top the inside was covered with mold. Dinner was planned for 2 pm at I only had 6 hours to clean the egg and try and get my bird cooked. First step was to load some lump and use high heat (650 degrees) for about an hour. Thankfully this cleaned up the mold and used most of the lump. I reloaded the LGE with a full load of lump and some cherry wood chips. Thankfully this brought my temps down to 300 degrees. I used Mad Max's old recipe and pulled the bird at 160 breast temp & 177 legs. Turkey was fabulous but I am spent!l. 

Comments

• TrueTex
    Options
    Cannot figure out how to load or insert a photo! Any clues? Thanks!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,183
    Options
    Excellent save!  Way to power through and not use the giant timer in your kitchen.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TrueTex
    Options
    Many thanks! I looked at the oven, even thought about using the convection function, but nah, tradition is important! Max's gravy recipe is the bomb! I use it every year!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Not sure if the others who were part of the feast had any idea what it took to deliver this year's bird, but congrats on a job well done.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    Great audible and save but you need to self-examine the source of the mold.  Reads like more BGE run time is the cure.  ;)  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TrueTex
    Options
    Here is a photo of the finished turkey. I am surprised that the 15 pounder was done after only 3 hours at 325 degrees. Thank you StillH2OEgger! Much appreciated! 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Good looking bird.

If you want to tag some one so they see a notification add the @ in front of the handle. 

@StillH2OEgger
  • TrueTex
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I have had my LGE for about 7-8 years now and the mold issue is relatively new. It never happened during the first three years but the following 3 years I worked overseas for most of the time. The mold problem appeared last December and after reading the forum I discovered that the best way to clean the LGE was to do a high temp burn for about an hour. Further advice suggested leaving the air vent on the bottom of the egg open a bit. This seemed to work until a few weeks ago when my wife put the egg's cover back on. Alas today the mold was well established again. Perhaps a two hour high temp burn would work better. Glad for any and all advice.

@lousy cap

• TrueTex
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I have had my LGE for about 7-8 years now and the mold issue is relatively new. It never happened during the first three years but the following 3 years I worked overseas for most of the time. The mold problem appeared last December and after reading the forum I discovered that the best way to clean the LGE was to do a high temp burn for about an hour. Further advice suggested leaving the air vent on the bottom of the egg open a bit. This seemed to work until a few weeks ago when my wife put the egg's cover back on. Alas today the mold was well established again. Perhaps a two hour high temp burn would work better. Glad for any and all advice.

@lousubcap

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    @TrueTex - I don't think the duration of  the burn will make much of a difference.  Sounds like somehow there were a few variables outside your influence but you powered thru.  Hopefully you will get more opportunities for BGE run-time especially with your experience.  Again, great save and result.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.