Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornbread recipe

looking for a good CI cornbread recipe for the egg. I like my cornbread a little moist :) 
never did any baking on the egg looking forward to giving it a try..... 

Thanks
Cary NC

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    The corn bread recipe from the BGE recipe book rocks!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    This one is amazing.   I've never made it on the egg or in cast iron but the than those two key deficiencies, I can testify without fail it's moist and enjoyed by many.  You can add a little sugar, salt, and pepper if you like.  

http://www.food.com/recipe/jiffy-corn-casserole-5-ingredients-easy-delicious-313521

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I've made quite a few different recipes, my favorite is from Dinosaur BBQ. Easy to google, it's also in their cookbook. Really easy, finishes off with some homey spread on top
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Cornbread. Mickeys Modified Texas Cornbread:.
    2 C Lamb's Stone Ground Corn Meal (or any)...
    1 t Salt...
    2 Eggs...
    2 T Vegetable oil ((or)) bacon fat
    2 t Baking Powder...
    2 T Sugar...
    3/4 C ButterMilk...
    5 thick crisp slice bacon crumbled...
    Small or half lg onion...
    Fry chopped bacon in bacon grease...
    Fry chopped onion & jalapeño in grease...
    Candied jalapeño  or chopped reg fried with onion...
    3/4 can creamed corn...
    Cup Shredded cheddar cheese...

preparation...
    Preheat egg/oven to 400 degrees. Pour all ingredeints in a bowl and mix with a fork until blended (about 50 strokes)...
    I put my bacon greased CI in the Egg/oven for a good     10/15 mins before pouring in batter...
     Pour batter into a pre-heated bacon greased CI
    skillet. Place skillet in Egg/oven and cook 25/30 minutes until fully baked. Top of the cornbread will be slightly brown and firm to the touch. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    From another BBQ forum. Always turns out incredible.

Keri's Blue Ribbon
    Cornbread

Recipe for blue ribbon cornbread as made above (1st place, OK State Fair in Tulsa, 2002):

1 1/2 cups plain cornmeal (not cornmeal mix or self-rising)
    1/2 cup flour
    1 Tablespoon baking powder, preferably Rumford
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup sugar (to 1/2 cup)
    1 1/4 cup milk (fat-free works fine)
    1/2 cup vegetable oil (can cut to 1/4 cup if desired)
    2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 400, placing pans in oven while it heats. I use 2 cast iron stick pans, 1 cast aluminum stick pan, and 1 non-stick scone pan, as seen above.

Blend dry ingredients in large bowl. Blend milk, oil, and eggs, and add to dry ingredients. Blend till all is combined.

Remove hot pans from the oven one at a time, and slip a small amount of Crisco or bacon grease (say about 1/4 tsp or so) into each stick form, brushing it to cover all surfaces well. Place back in oven for a few minutes - you want these puppies HOT. Remove pan from oven, set on heat-proof surface, and, using a tablespoon from your silverware drawer, put a generous spoonful of batter into each form. You should have enough batter for 24 cornsticks and 8 thin crusty wedges.

Bake at 400 until golden brown on the tops, about 15 minutes for the sticks and about 20 minutes for the wedges. (If you prefer, bake the whole recipe in a 9-inch cast iron skillet for about 30 minutes and just cut into wedges to serve.) To remove from pans, gently ease the tines of a fork under the edges of the cornstick and carefully pry up. If you preheated your pan well and greased it right, it should pop right out. Serve with pinto beans and fried taters, BBQ, or just with a cold glass of sweet milk.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.