Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peking Duck

2»

Comments

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    @Stormbringer - I hung it in a storage room in my basement with a fan blowing on high.  The room is a bit cooler than the rest of the house.  The recipe I started with says to hang for 4-6 hours.  My timing took me a bit over that.   

I have read various sites that state traditionally times range from 4 - 24 hours at room temperature in front of a fan.  I don't have the exact sources handy but I believe the official California health code exemption (it might be a specific city and not the state) for the duck is no more the 4 hours at room temp.   I also read an Australian document where the government guidance for restaurants was up to 6 hours at room temperature as long as the temperature meat did not exceed a specific temperature.  The restaurants were required to maintain temperature logs for each bird.  

You could put it in the fridge for the drying.   I would probably start the day before so it could dry overnight in the fridge.  Just make sure it is on a rack so the underside and dry as well.

@Sea2Ski I did not have much pooled fat under the skin.  Each time when I flipped the bird I "sat it up" to try to get some of the fat to run off.

There are several recipes that talk of using a bike pump to blow air under the skin to separate it from the meat/fat to help with it running out.  I may have gone with a bit more power and used a small air compressor with a nozzle (thin 4-5 inches long) :)  

Some recipes also talk about just using a straw slid under the skin and blowing through the straw.  While I am ok with hanging a bird at room temp for awhile, the thought of using the straw was very off putting.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • smak
    Side note: this weekend we are celebrating my mother-in-laws birthday by going out to pretty good Chinese restaurant, Peking Gourmet, that specializes in Peking Duck.   I will get to watch, yet again, how badly and slowing I carve the duck.  They guys/gals that carve table-side are pretty impressive.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    @smak thanks for the very detailed explanation.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    smak said:
    @Stormbringer - I hung it in a storage room in my basement with a fan blowing on high.  The room is a bit cooler than the rest of the house.  The recipe I started with says to hang for 4-6 hours.  My timing took me a bit over that.   

I have read various sites that state traditionally times range from 4 - 24 hours at room temperature in front of a fan.  I don't have the exact sources handy but I believe the official California health code exemption (it might be a specific city and not the state) for the duck is no more the 4 hours at room temp.   I also read an Australian document where the government guidance for restaurants was up to 6 hours at room temperature as long as the temperature meat did not exceed a specific temperature.  The restaurants were required to maintain temperature logs for each bird.  

You could put it in the fridge for the drying.   I would probably start the day before so it could dry overnight in the fridge.  Just make sure it is on a rack so the underside and dry as well.

@Sea2Ski I did not have much pooled fat under the skin.  Each time when I flipped the bird I "sat it up" to try to get some of the fat to run off.

There are several recipes that talk of using a bike pump to blow air under the skin to separate it from the meat/fat to help with it running out.  I may have gone with a bit more power and used a small air compressor with a nozzle (thin 4-5 inches long) :)  

Some recipes also talk about just using a straw slid under the skin and blowing through the straw.  While I am ok with hanging a bird at room temp for awhile, the thought of using the straw was very off putting.

Yes the traditional method calls for pressurized air to separate the skin from the flesh. I think you can only do that with a head on duck. Tried it once using a ty-rap/zip tie to make a seal but had no success.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smak
    I have had ok results with the air compressor.  The ducks I have used are with the head off.  I am sure head on would make it easier.

I slide nozzle under the skin from the cavity side toward the breast a couple of inches.   Squeeze the trigger and it blows up.  I do that on each side.  Then sometimes around the thighs.

There is definitely diminishing returns as you go.  As the skin separates you get more and more leaks.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • What was your approximate cooking time by the pound?  Going to try this for Thanksgiving.
  • smak
    I do not remember the size of this particular duck.  But I have always gone *about* 1 hour 45 minutes.   30 mins breast up, 45 mins breast down, and 30 mins breast up.  

The last 30 mins adjusting more for color and crispy-ness of the skin.

This is the recipe I had started with:  http://www.food.com/recipe/peking-duck-38023

Good luck!
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Excellent.  Thanks!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    That's one beautiful bird. Fantastic color!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Your duck looks fantastic. Can you describe your set up in the egg a little more? Thank you.