Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Style BBQ Possible in a BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw a BGE for the first time at the local hardware store yesterday & after some research I'm considering purchasing one, mainly because it seems to offer the best of two worlds (grilling & low temperature smoking), but it seems to good to be true.[p]Will a BGE produce Texas style BBQ brisket with a smoky flavor (from the cooking, not the sauce) and the nice red colored edge where the smoke contacts the meat? If so, can this be done with charcoal alone or are wood chunks necessary?[p]Also, the large grill looks like it might be too small if cooking more than a few good size steaks. How long does it take to cycle the temperature for searing when batch cooking? Any guideline for choosing an XL vs. a large? Does it take longer to heat up an XL than large or is this offset by using more charcoal? Is it more difficult to maintain an even temperature?[p]Thanks

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Matanuska,[p]Yes, you can do Texas style brisket in the BGE. I have a large and do full packer cut briskets no problem. In fact, I ever made a proper brisket until I got the BGE. For a big brisket, you may have to "bunch up" one side at the start of the cook. Not sure what you are asking about regarding cycling the temp, but I sear 2"+ steaks in the 650-750 range and rest for 20 min while the letting the temp reduce to the 450 range. Then finish at that temp. Hope this helps.[p]Can't help with the XL questions.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Matanuska,>>> If so, can this be done with charcoal alone or are wood chunks necessary?<<<[p]the lump used in Egg's does vary, but most of us use wood chunks for smoke,and not logs as used in some off-set smokers.
    A full load of lump can last up to 20 some hours at 250 degrees.
    But here is a link to everything you may ask about

[ul][li]NW[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    97892e6c.jpg
    <p />Matanuska,[p]Good question about the smoke ring....I've been cooking briskets for 35 years, many were done over wood coals and the rest were on charcoal with wood chunks. I've never cooked any with just charcoal alone. But to answer your question, yep that dang 'ol smoke ring shows up when you use a BGE. For what it is worth, I have gotten better rings from all wood coals, but I've never sweated it one way or the other.[p]Grate size is something you will have to work out on your own, and I only have a small and a large. A few of the XL hands will most likely jump in.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    It all does sound too good to be true......But it is all true.....You can low-n-slow a brisket Texas Style...Or you can go nuclear to upwards of 800 degrees and beyond.....and sear a steak to perfection in just a few minutes.....And all with incredible flavor.....[p]A bunch of folks will chime in....and provide plenty of follow-up to your questions...It does take some work to use the BGE to it's best advantages....of which there are many....It's not a Ron Popiel "Set It and Forget It" contraption.....But it is everything it claims to be.....[p]And if you make the investment....which many think is high...you too will become a BBQ Superstar....At least your family and friends will think so....Mine do! (LOL)....And so will yours.....[p]Good Luck.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Matanuska,
    I just did a 10 pound packer last night and this morning. I haven't had brisket in Texas but I've had brisket that tasted worse than this and was dryer than this one and it placed in a contest for me.[p]The smoke ring actually has nothing to do with smoke, it's a chemical reaction. If you'd like to try it sometime take some tenderquick and apply it to some beef and then cook it in the oven, I magine you'll get a pretty good smoke ring. Bu yes, the EGG can provide an awesome smokey flavor by adding in your favorite wood chunks or chips or pellets.[p]If you're grilling steaks with the dome open (not the reccomended way) it will stay plenty hot to cycle them through. If you close the dome to sear (the way I like to do them) it will take about a minute for the temp to come back up to do the next batch.[p]If you're in Texas, and thinking Texas thoughts, you might want to go with the XL just to cover everything.

• Unknown
    Options
    Matanuska,buy it, you will love it. I have eaten lots of Texas brisket on vacation, this is just as good.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Franky, "Just as good" that's not a very glowing recommendation. LOL!!

• Unknown
    Options
    Matanuska,[p]Wow, does this sound familiar...[p]I struggled with the decision between an Egg and an offset smoker and finally went with an XL Egg. Am I glad I did! My first event on the egg was a brisket and it turned out terrific; in there with the best that I had eaten except it might have been a little too smoky for some. I've corrected that since. It's just too easy and tempting to keep the wood on so you do have to regulate the smoke on your Egg. Remember, the Egg captures the smoke so a little goes a long way. [p]I've refined my brisket to the point where I will put it up against anyone's. As for the Lg vs XL, I like my XL but it is very large. I think that it might be easier to regulate the very low temps in the LG, but It's great to be able to put two full briskets on the XL (and a chicken or two with the left over room). A couple burgers look funny on the XL Egg, but I do it anyway.[p]Buy your Egg with confidence. You'll never look back.

• Unknown
    Options
    Matanuska,
    if you decide to buy a large egg, i have the "egg nest" (the stand with wheels) and the "egg mate" (the wooden side shelves) from my almost-new egg. tomorrow i'm building a cart for my large egg, using the plans from the BGE web site. send me an email if you're interested.[p]Ken Baker

• wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    Options
    Matanuska,
    We just finished a brisket dinner cooked on my large BGE. It was better than any I had when I lived in Texas. Take the plunge. The BGE is the most versatile cooker you'll find. Now, if you want to cook a whole hog................[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks to all who provided feedback & pictures. Now I'm convinced the BGE is what I want.[p]I compared the XL and Large side by side this afternoon at another retailer who had the full line & decided the Large was big enough for my needs (also, the XL lid is extremely heavy and isn't spring balanced like the Large).[p]- Matanuska
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Matanuska,
    I started to chime in earlier but it looked like it was getting handled. I cook Texas style BBQ all the time since I'm from there. Good choice on the large. After a little while, say next payday, go ahead and get a small too.