Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? For those with a smokeware cap

Options
What's your process for getting it unstuck? I have only had mine about 2 weeks and it will not budge. Got a low and slow happening tonight and not sure what to do.  Sprayed some vinegar water on the cracks, nothing.  I can't even pull the top cap off.

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Never had it stick, but try heating it up - torch, hairdryer or just light a fire
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Ha! Just got one like 6hrs ago, and she is sealed shut as well!! 
    Ima try a torch
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Yep heat will loosen it up.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have two. Never had that problem. The base part on my large is permanent though. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Have not run into that yet, but watch, I am going to get home this evening and watch it be stuck now
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mine has stuck before, but I was able to just pry it apart by holding on to the base with one hand turn the top.  My base does not have much gasket on it and I like it that way so I can take the whole thing off if I want.  I use the flat cap to shut it down.  I need to clean mine after a year of gunk.  Did the touch help?  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Worked like a charm.... Just took a lighter to it. Took a few minutes though, but worked.  I am going to need to clean this.  Only happening after 2 weeks. Wasn't expecting that.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    I've had mine for a few months and never cleaned it or had it stick.  It stays on all the time.  
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Mine have never been stuck.  The XL, my main egg, leaves an impressive racing stripe on the outside of the dome from time to time.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Just let it heat up a few minutes. It'll unstick 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You said you have only had it for two weeks but how many cooks have you used it? If many have most been lo & slo? Hard to blieve the creosote has built up that badly that quickly. Did you install the self-adhesive gasket? It almost sounds like your gasket has glued the cap on during a high heat cook. I used my SW cap for a coupl years repeatedly before havin g turning problems. Thinking out loud here but I know Matt is always trying to get the tolerance Bremen the cap and base tighter maybe yours is super tight or on piece has gotten bent just enough to be out of round.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I've had no reason to switch to the Smokeware cap. The factory caps have worked fine. Why pay good money and then have a problem. Makes no sense to me.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    3 SW caps.  2 new style and 1 original design.  NEVER had this issue. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Hm. Not sure why mine is doing this then if nobody had this problem before. It's just all of that black liquid that leaks out of it. It dried up between the top cap that moves and the bottom fixed part. I'll snap a photo tomorrow. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hm. Not sure why mine is doing this then if nobody had this problem before. It's just all of that black liquid that leaks out of it. It dried up between the top cap that moves and the bottom fixed part. I'll snap a photo tomorrow. 
    During a long L&S it'll condensate and have the meat sweats.  It can get gummy.  I'm OCD about keeping mine clean.  It doesn't improve the functionality necessarily.  I find it easier to wipe it down when it's still warm and then clean up the rest later.  There are plenty of folks that don't share my cleansing frenzy.  To each their own...But, when it's clean it moves like buttuh just like brand new.  In fact some prefer it gummed up a bit.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    I use the ash raking tool through two of the holes and wiggle it loose.
    HFX NS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Mikee said:

I've had no reason to switch to the Smokeware cap. The factory caps have worked fine. Why pay good money and then have a problem. Makes no sense to me.

super-helpful.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Mikee said:

There is a problem with the factory cap, at least with the XL.  It will not stay open when lifting the dome.  After you have a fire get snuffed out a few times, regardless of how you place the cap, then you look for a better option.  The Smokeware cap was money well spent for me.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Mikee said:

I have been very happy with my smokeware cap. My old daisy wheel on my large BGE was always shifting around when I opened the lid. No matter how I positioned it, it still moved.  With the smokeware cap, it stays in place. 

Mine hasn't gummed up enough to make it stick.  I give it a good cleaning about 3 times/year.  Soak it, then clean it up as good as I can and then use some "bartenders Friend" to give it a nice shine.  Most of this isn't necessary for proper operation, but I lije the way it looks after a cleaning.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love the smokeware cap, no more forgetting to align the screw on the daisy wheel to keep it from swinging open. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    And the Smokeware cap doesn't let rain in, and won't rust, and doesn't need to be taken off.  I'll take the top half off if I want the Egg to get REAL hot, otherwise it stays on all the time.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    My smokeware caps give me better sattilite reception and increase my memory. 

Ive had them stick when I've done several L&S in a row. I mix up my cooks in different eggs and don't have that problem anymore. I did clean them last week for general maintenance though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Mine hasn't stuck yet and I have never cleaned it. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I hear some people stick them in an electrolysis tank to clean them and it supposedly works well.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I hear some people stick them in an electrolysis tank to clean them and it supposedly works well.

That would be me.  The result is a cap that looks new with no scrubbing.

The tank is little more than home depot bucket and a battery charger - super simple.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    blasting said:
    GoooDawgs said:

That would be me.  The result is a cap that looks new with no scrubbing.

The tank is little more than home depot bucket and a battery charger - super simple.

Care to expand on that set up? I assume that might work on rust removal as well?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Had mine for 3 yrs now. Never been cleaned. I do remove and shut down with ceramic cap. Works fine for me. Has never stuck, even on 20 hr brisket cooks.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options

Had my Egg for about 6 months now; 8 or so cooks and using Smokeware cap. This weekend first time it stuck while cooking a turkey at 350.  Tried adjusting the vent and had to get a mitt out and hold the top while moving the adjustment tab.  didn't have gunk on it and never happened before.  Still, I prefer the Smokeware cap as the daisy wheel was always falling open and messing up adjustments.  I have an XL.

Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    stevez said:

Had my Egg for about 6 months now; 8 or so cooks and using Smokeware cap. This weekend first time it stuck while cooking a turkey at 350.  Tried adjusting the vent and had to get a mitt out and hold the top while moving the adjustment tab.  didn't have gunk on it and never happened before.  Still, I prefer the Smokeware cap as the daisy wheel was always falling open and messing up adjustments.  I have an XL.

I have had mine for about a year now and it will stick a little during a cook, but not to bad and I will use a welding to turn it.  I have never taken the time to put a new gasket on, I just used what came with the egg.  I believe it is time to replace it and clean my SW cap.  I too wanted it after it started to rain over night on a brisket cook and temp was dropping on the egg.  Since I have gotten the Cap I have had no problems with rain of course and to me it seems to get up to temp faster and flows better.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.